Identity politics in a nutshell
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:12:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Identity politics in a nutshell
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Identity politics in a nutshell  (Read 1889 times)
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 14, 2018, 07:47:38 AM »

Lead paragraph of an AP story:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 09:14:57 AM »

lmao..

well I mean in San Francisco I'm not sure how else you'd differentiate, they probably have the exact same political views
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 09:22:39 AM »

Who do you think would win an election between a eunuch and a cuckold, with each candidate trying to out-progressive the other?

Discuss with maps.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 10:24:35 AM »

Who do you think would win an election between a eunuch and a cuckold, with each candidate trying to out-progressive the other?

Discuss with maps.

In Crusader Kings 2 one of those eunuch guys showed up in my court and I made him my spymaster because he had high as hell intrigue
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 10:30:05 AM »

Discuss with maps.

In Crusader Kings 2 one of those eunuch guys showed up in my court and I made him my spymaster because he had high as hell intrigue
Eunuchs make excellent public servants! I think the Trumps might have some.
elcorazon

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 11:26:46 AM »

worst thread ever
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 11:29:37 AM »

African-American women should always win. They usually have the best politics.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 11:33:19 AM »

This but unironically
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 11:37:35 AM »

This but unironically
Why do you think I am being ironic? This is entirely sincere. I endorse nearly every African-American woman every election. I'm super stoked for Abrams especially.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 11:48:04 AM »

Discuss with maps.

You are rapidly becoming my favorite Republican on this forum, despite the fact that you are certifiably insane.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 02:22:13 PM »

Today's Democratic Party is all about checking off boxes.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 02:30:57 PM »

Black people do not fit the image of what real America is unless they preface every speech with "I'm not an African-American, I'm a conservative". Gay people are only acceptable if they are extremely conservative and willing to stand behind evangelical candidates.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 02:37:22 PM »

<pokes head in to make sure everybody is playing their roles properly>

good job guys, you're nailing it!
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2018, 02:42:55 PM »

A better discussion I had elsewhere on this:

All you state is correct, I'm more rolling my eyes at the journalist who being an AP story was trying I'd think to make it as neutral dry as possible, chose to lead off the story not by any political issue but by defining the candidates' political alignments based on race, gender, and who they have sex with.

So this race was a win for the Black Party, the Women Party, and the Heterosexual Party. The parties of the whites, Hispanics, Asians, men, dogs, polygamists, homosexuals, bisexuals all have to go back to the drawing board to see what they can do for the next election.[/quote]

Yea, I’d agree with that. Either out of laziness (because explaining policies is hard) or perhaps the average reader prefers characters over candidates with policy positions, it does seem like the media has this problem. I do think the first black lady mayor is an interesting part of her candidacy, but giving us a rundown of all the candidates skin tone and sexual orientation in the lead off is a bit much.[/quote]

elcorazon

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2018, 02:52:39 PM »

All you state is correct, I'm more rolling my eyes at the journalist who being an AP story was trying I'd think to make it as neutral dry as possible, chose to lead off the story not by any political issue but by defining the candidates' political alignments based on race, gender, and who they have sex with.

So this race was a win for the Black Party, the Women Party, and the Heterosexual Party. The parties of the whites, Hispanics, Asians, men, dogs, polygamists, homosexuals, bisexuals all have to go back to the drawing board to see what they can do for the next election.

Yea, I’d agree with that. Either out of laziness (because explaining policies is hard) or perhaps the average reader prefers characters over candidates with policy positions, it does seem like the media has this problem. I do think the first black lady mayor is an interesting part of her candidacy, but giving us a rundown of all the candidates skin tone and sexual orientation in the lead off is a bit much.[/quote]

[/quote]As long as electing openly gay politicians remains as rare as it is, it will remain newsworthy when they run. As long as black women in public office remain rare, it will remain newsworthy when they run. I am not a huge fan of it, but it's really hard to get around the fact that it's newsworthy.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2018, 02:57:28 PM »

Discuss with maps.

Eunuchs make excellent public servants! I think the Trumps might have some.

now that I think about it I should have given Mr. Eunuch from Azerbaijan or wherever he came from his own county, he was the most loyal character and had some of the best stats I've ever seen in the entire game.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2018, 03:02:27 PM »

The race wasn't fought over race or sexual orientation, it was fought over local issues that like most local races in California. Media likes to use headlines to grab attention and this is what they chose to go with. It's really nothing to make a fuss about.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2018, 04:46:52 PM »

<pokes head in to make sure everybody is playing their roles properly>

good job guys, you're nailing it!

Straight to the irony ore mine with this.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2018, 05:09:00 PM »

The race wasn't fought over race or sexual orientation, it was fought over local issues that like most local races in California. Media likes to use headlines to grab attention and this is what they chose to go with. It's really nothing to make a fuss about.
The right would be all over it if they were Republicans and willing to self-deprecate themselves to fit the conservative world view on race, gender, and sexuality.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2018, 02:46:35 AM »

As long as subconscious bias exists, so called 'identity politics' will need to exist to respond to it.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2018, 06:52:24 AM »
« Edited: June 15, 2018, 06:56:43 AM by StateBoiler »

So this race was a win for the Black Party, the Women Party, and the Heterosexual Party. The parties of the whites, Hispanics, Asians, men, dogs, polygamists, homosexuals, bisexuals all have to go back to the drawing board to see what they can do for the next election.

Yea, I’d agree with that. Either out of laziness (because explaining policies is hard) or perhaps the average reader prefers characters over candidates with policy positions, it does seem like the media has this problem. I do think the first black lady mayor is an interesting part of her candidacy, but giving us a rundown of all the candidates skin tone and sexual orientation in the lead off is a bit much.

[/quote]As long as electing openly gay politicians remains as rare as it is, it will remain newsworthy when they run. As long as black women in public office remain rare, it will remain newsworthy when they run. I am not a huge fan of it, but it's really hard to get around the fact that it's newsworthy.
[/quote]

So was this election to be read as a win for the rights of blacks and women and a loss for whites and men, or is it to be read as a win for heterosexuals and a loss for gays?

Or was Breed just decided on to be a better candidate by the voters of San Francisco? And if that's the case, why was the AP journalist so lazy in deeming what he found important about this election to lead off with? I have no problem with the candidates here, my criticism is the journalist that wrote the AP story.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2018, 08:30:32 AM »

I'm not a fan of Buzzfeed/Tumblr-type TryHard Wokeism, but I really don't see the problem with this.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2018, 06:09:09 PM »

Are you serious? Representation is deservedly significant. It will be significant here in New Jersey when our state has our first white, male Lieutenant governor. See? White males haven't succeeded at everything. We can have our moments too. I'm sorry that everything doesn't always cater to us. I'm sorry that we're the ones who dominated history to the point that we have to now acknowledge the struggles of the people who aren't as institutionally favored as us.
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2018, 06:17:30 PM »

Just go to the list of all characters, sort by intrigue, and invite whoever has the highest intrigue in the world to your court. Unless you are only a Count or something, usually people with the highest or close to highest stats are willing to join you, and it is more reliable than just having to wait around for a eunuch to maybe-maybe-not show up.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2018, 06:32:08 PM »

I'm not a fan of Buzzfeed/Tumblr-type TryHard Wokeism, but I really don't see the problem with this.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies