India, in retaliation, moves ahead with tariffs on US goods
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:57:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  India, in retaliation, moves ahead with tariffs on US goods
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: India, in retaliation, moves ahead with tariffs on US goods  (Read 773 times)
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 17, 2018, 12:56:16 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 12:59:12 PM »

Our Idiot-In-Chief is going to create huge economic problems for our nation.
Not to mention the deterioration of relations with other world leaders, many our own allies.
Unbelievable!
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 02:20:52 PM »

Our Idiot-In-Chief is going to create huge economic problems for our nation.
Not to mention the deterioration of relations with other world leaders, many our own allies.
Unbelievable!

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 02:52:18 PM »

I understand the allure, but I don't understand actually doing it.  These will hurt consumers in India way more than they will hurt Trump or the American economy.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 02:59:53 PM »
« Edited: June 17, 2018, 03:04:35 PM by True Federalist »

I understand the allure, but I don't understand actually doing it.  These will hurt consumers in India way more than they will hurt Trump or the American economy.
Trade wars are dumb which is why Trump's decision to start one is but yet another exhibit of why he's an idiot when it comes to running a government.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 03:03:12 PM »

I understand the allure, but I don't understand actually doing it.  These will hurt consumers in India way more than they will hurt Trump or the American economy.
Trade wars are dumb which is why Trump's decision to start on is but yet another exhibit of why he's an idiot when it comes to running a government.
and proves that he's not even good at the one thing he's supposed to be good at.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 03:12:24 PM »

Love to alienate one of the most rapidly growing economies in the world.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 03:24:13 PM »

Trade wars are dumb which is why Trump's decision to start on is but yet another exhibit of why he's an idiot when it comes to running a government.
and proves that he's not even good at the one thing he's supposed to be good at.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 03:56:54 PM »

Will we ever be able to find work ever again after this sh**t starts to leak from the diaper?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 04:53:54 PM »

Just like Trump's tariffs are hurting us more than they are hurting China/Japan/etc.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2018, 05:09:10 PM »

Just like Trump's tariffs are hurting us more than they are hurting China/Japan/etc.
yes, of course (though the ratios are different).  Tariffs are bad for the country that puts them up.  They might temporarily be better for people in the protected industry, but not for anybody else.  I hope everybody learns this lesson from Trump's mistakes.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2018, 05:11:20 PM »

It's a shame we didn't have larger tariffs on Indian textiles. All those American jobs lost Sad
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2018, 05:56:03 PM »

It's a shame we didn't have larger tariffs on Indian textiles. All those American jobs lost Sad

Yes, because working in a sweatshop garment factory is really the culmination of the American Dream.

How dare it be ripped away!
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2018, 06:03:32 PM »

Yes, because working in a sweatshop garment factory is really the culmination of the American Dream.

Fk you. My hometown had a textile mill that employed more than 5000 people who lacked the resources or ability to go to college and paid them well to boot. Between nafta cafta and Indian imports those 5000 jobs no longer exist and now we just have a lot of unemployed workers and poverty. Saving 10 bucks on bed sheets to protect actual foreign sweatshops is not worth the cost to me.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2018, 07:33:02 PM »

Fk you. My hometown had a textile mill that employed more than 5000 people who lacked the resources or ability to go to college and paid them well to boot. Between nafta cafta and Indian imports those 5000 jobs no longer exist and now we just have a lot of unemployed workers and poverty. Saving 10 bucks on bed sheets to protect actual foreign sweatshops is not worth the cost to me.

Then perhaps we should have invested in having a society where people could get the training they need for a skilled trade of some sort without necessarily having the right parents.  Besides, even if the textile mill had stayed because we'd had tariff barriers, it wouldn't be employing 5000 unskilled workers, but probably something like 500 skilled workers.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2018, 07:45:07 PM »

Yeah, but there are already people who do the same job for less money. And if you force American companies to hire expensive workers, they will pass on the expenses to us until they find a way to automate those factories. Then again, that's new work, right? Maybe protectionism can work, but no one should and probably can't just be paid to do something that no one wants them to do. It is definitely a useful and powerful role of Government to help people prepare and get work that has a natural demand.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2018, 11:18:09 PM »

Bingo! X 10
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies