Pittsburgh Post-Gazette editorial cartoonist fired for making jokes about Trump
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:48:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Pittsburgh Post-Gazette editorial cartoonist fired for making jokes about Trump
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette editorial cartoonist fired for making jokes about Trump  (Read 406 times)
kyc0705

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 17, 2018, 11:09:17 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

(Source)
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 11:50:19 AM »

Okay
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 11:21:06 PM »

RIP PG, a once good paper.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 12:16:47 AM »

But those editorial cartoons are inconsistent with the personality cult forming around President Trump.

I see it this way. Millions find President Trump objectionable for one or more things. Unflattering treatment of appearance? That goes with the territory. We saw that with Obama and Dubya, too...

But that is the least of it. When the President does something incompetent or morally offensive, then he is fair game. We may not all agree on what constitutes incompetence or moral depravity, but we all have our ideas.

The real fault would be if the cartoons were certifiably false (as in 'libelous'), obscene (I would axe a cartoon showing the President in a sex act with a foreign leader, or boring.   
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 01:34:16 AM »

Liberal political correctness gone wild.
UncleSam

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 02:32:29 AM »

I mean if he’s bad at his job then that’s one thing. We only have one side of the story here - his. I’d rather not guess why he was fired but I think it’s a safe assumption that when he was told his cartoons were too angry and too Trump-focused, they were trying to tell him that he should ease off things a bit for the good of the paper.

There’s a line somewhere with everything. I tend to think that cartoonists should be the ones crossing it and testing its’ boundaries, but ultimately a cartoonist is there to enhance the experience of the readers. If the readers didn’t like the cartoons it is reasonable to get a new cartoonist. If the editor just likes Trump (which seems unlikely to me but who knows), then he should not have been fired and deserves to be able to sue.

I will say that it continually astonished me just how low those on the left go to make a joke about Trump. It’s way beyond anything anyone got away with saying about Obama.

I hope both sides of the story come out and we see the truth of this. Being fired for telling a joke your editor didn’t like is ridiculous, while being fired because the readers don’t want to read your cartoons anymore is not only understandable but deserved. Until we learn more I don’t think we can really say for sure what happened.
BBD
Big Bad Don

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 08:06:11 AM »
« Edited: June 18, 2018, 08:12:55 AM by BBD »

Liberal political correctness gone wild.

The editor in chief and publisher of the PG, John Robinson Block, is a staunch Trump supporter.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies