Is the immigration issue becoming toxic for Trump?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:20:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is the immigration issue becoming toxic for Trump?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Is the immigration issue becoming toxic for Trump?  (Read 3587 times)
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 14, 2018, 11:01:41 PM »

So there was a story out that Stephen Miller was encouraging Trump to make the midterms about immigration and Trump pounded all over the “animals” event and attacks Dem leaders like Pelosi as “loving MS-13”. However, in recent weeks the issue about immigration has become about these kids getting mistreated by the system with even Franklin Graham Jr today condemning the treatment. So has immigration turned on Trump as an issue?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 06:13:33 PM »

It should be. I am hoping that Americans are starting to see through his rhetoric and lies on this issue (and most other issues too). It may be a winner with his base, but hopefully most Americans who haven't taken a blood oath to Trump are getting sick of hearing about his strawman tactics and fear mongering. I'm not entirely convinced, I always reserve my usual skepticism about American voters caring about policy or actual important issues, but it could happen I guess.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 06:44:23 PM »

Idk about immigration in the abstract, but i think the story about migrant detention camps (let’s call them what they are) is hurting, especially with suburban women.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 06:54:20 PM »

Well amnesty, was talked about in 2016, and Clinton still lost, but giving more immigrates more rights, and funding the wall, through Mexico, needs to be completed by Trump, in order to get the Latino vote in 2020, or he won't get reelected.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 06:42:19 AM »

How much longer until this metastasizes into the Pizzagate of the left?
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 10:29:43 AM »

What does that even mean? One is a conspiracy theory based on bored, over-exuberant Hillary-haters looking for secret messages in her emails. The other is a legitimate humanitarian concern that has been documented by reputable individuals. I fail to see how anything could make the two similar.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 11:19:49 AM »

What does that even mean? One is a conspiracy theory based on bored, over-exuberant Hillary-haters looking for secret messages in her emails. The other is a legitimate humanitarian concern that has been documented by reputable individuals. I fail to see how anything could make the two similar.

I talking about the 2000 kids that went missing and now this. Given the fraudulent activities of this administration, I am expecting that there will be evidence that comes up where they are selling children to human traffickers.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 01:26:46 PM »

His child separation policy and detention camp are definitely hurting him. Is it enough to make a difference?

Idk...

Nothing makes sense anymore. The press doesn't know how to handle Trump, Republicans are too scared to actually stand up to him, and the Democrats are still struggling to get a word in edgewise.

Everything is so muddled and up in the air that it's near impossible to know what is actually going on in this country.

The midterms will be the true test, but I'm at loss as to what is going on right now...
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 06:33:32 PM »

His child separation policy and detention camp are definitely hurting him. Is it enough to make a difference?

Idk...

Nothing makes sense anymore. The press doesn't know how to handle Drumpf, Republicans are too scared to actually stand up to him, and the Democrats are still struggling to get a word in edgewise.

Everything is so muddled and up in the air that it's near impossible to know what is actually going on in this country.

The midterms will be the true test, but I'm at loss as to what is going on right now...

This is an accurate take.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 11:27:59 PM »

Idk...

Nothing makes sense anymore. The press doesn't know how to handle Drumpf, Republicans are too scared to actually stand up to him, and the Democrats are still struggling to get a word in edgewise.

LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2018, 11:41:49 PM »

The family separation issue is, in my opinion, a clear winner for Democrats and Anti-Trumpers. Basically every religious organization in the country has condemned it. I haven't seen recent polling, but I am sure that it is extremely unpopular among the American public. If I were Schumer or Pelosi, I'd be instructing my caucus to try to get booked on as many cable news shows as possible bringing attention to the issue. Jacky Rosen and Kyrsten Sinema can easily use this to their advantage by tying their opponents to the Trump administration's policy in their Hispanic-heavy states. Get some marches going. Do some sit-ins or unannounced arrivals at these camps, like Jeff Merkley did. Make a big deal. Some argued that the Democratic opposition to the Tax Bill was hyperbolic, but it's hard to be hyperbolic with family separation. It literally is inhumane by every definition of the word.

Your result is:
1) Trump/GOP gets rid of family separation and the reversal can be painted as an effective victory for the #resistance.
2) They don't and it shifts the immigration polling to the Democrats before the midterms.

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2018, 01:52:40 AM »

It adds to the opinion of many that President Trump is a cruel man not wholly to be trusted.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2018, 07:18:57 AM »

Idk...

This is an extremely inaccurate take. Anyone who thinks the Republicans aren't standing up to Trump is insane. The Republican leadership has refused to act on his immigration platform, which they never supported. No one in Congress has ever bothered to introduce a bill advocating the policies he advocated during the campaign (total moratorium), instead they introduced a compromise bill that that only cuts immigration but half but even that hasn't been voted on. Republicans keep trying to pass DACA with only flimsy, lip-servce-y concessions to immigration restrictionists and they only fail to pass because the Democrats are so extreme and support amnesty of all current and future illegal aliens (de facto open borders).
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2018, 07:46:55 AM »

Idk...

This is an extremely inaccurate take. Anyone who thinks the Republicans aren't standing up to Trump is insane. The Republican leadership has refused to act on his immigration platform, which they never supported. No one in Congress has ever bothered to introduce a bill advocating the policies he advocated during the campaign (total moratorium), instead they introduced a compromise bill that that only cuts immigration but half but even that hasn't been voted on. Republicans keep trying to pass DACA with only flimsy, lip-servce-y concessions to immigration restrictionists and they only fail to pass because the Democrats are so extreme and support amnesty of all current and future illegal aliens (de facto open borders).

That is like saying Obamacare was Obama's dems not t towing the line.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2018, 07:52:30 AM »

Idk...

That is like saying Obamacare was Obama's dems not t towing the line.

More like if Obama had called for hospital nationalization during the campaign, softened his position to strongly supporting single payer after the election, and then Congressional Democrats never introduced a bill for either and kept repeatedly trying and failing to pass the individual mandate.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2018, 08:49:40 AM »

Idk...

That’s because total moratorium restrictionists like yourself are a gang of un-American fringe lunatics, and there’s no real support in either party for a total moratorium of all immigrarion. Take your xenophobic closed border boner somewhere else
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2018, 08:50:19 AM »

The family separation issue is, in my opinion, a clear winner for Democrats and Anti-Trumpers. Basically every religious organization in the country has condemned it. I haven't seen recent polling, but I am sure that it is extremely unpopular among the American public. If I were Schumer or Pelosi, I'd be instructing my caucus to try to get booked on as many cable news shows as possible bringing attention to the issue. Jacky Rosen and Kyrsten Sinema can easily use this to their advantage by tying their opponents to the Trump administration's policy in their Hispanic-heavy states. Get some marches going. Do some sit-ins or unannounced arrivals at these camps, like Jeff Merkley did. Make a big deal. Some argued that the Democratic opposition to the Tax Bill was hyperbolic, but it's hard to be hyperbolic with family separation. It literally is inhumane by every definition of the word.

Your result is:
1) Trump/GOP gets rid of family separation and the reversal can be painted as an effective victory for the #resistance.
2) They don't and it shifts the immigration polling to the Democrats before the midterms.

I think Beto and some House candidates are doing just that this week, actually
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2018, 08:53:56 AM »

Idk...

That’s because total moratorium restrictionists like yourself are a gang of un-American fringe lunatics, and there’s no real support in either party for a total moratorium of all immigrarion. Take your xenophobic closed border boner somewhere else
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2018, 08:59:55 AM »

I suspect a total moratorium would poll quite well with the general public.

A view not having representation among members of Congress ≠ a view being unpopular.

Calling something "unAmerican" is just name calling, it's meaningless, especially from people who don't like anything about America except the fact that it's full of foreigners.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2018, 09:22:22 AM »

America is a country of immigrants, including Native Americans who came over a land bridge. It’s fair to have a discussion about what number per year is best, and how to prioritize skilled immigration (I’d be amenable to a Canadian-style immigrarion system myself), but that’s not the discussion you want to have, and you have never, not once, engaged in a discussion about this subject in good faith.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2018, 09:30:35 AM »

America is a country of immigrants, including Native Americans who came over a land bridge. It’s fair to have a discussion about what number per year is best, and how to prioritize skilled immigration (I’d be amenable to a Canadian-style immigrarion system myself), but that’s not the discussion you want to have, and you have never, not once, engaged in a discussion about this subject in good faith.

The RAISE Act promoted by Trump (which I support as a compromise) basically IS the Canadian system.

Why aren't you supporting Trump on immigration then? Why don't you support the RAISE Act? Talk about bad faith.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2018, 09:54:22 AM »

The RAISE Act promoted by Trump (which I support as a compromise) basically IS the Canadian system.

Why aren't you supporting Trump on immigration then? Why don't you support the RAISE Act? Talk about bad faith.

RAISE didn’t address my issues with the bureaucratic morass of the immigration system, and the points system developed by it seemed clearly intended to specifically curtail nonwhite immigration rather than promote skills-based immigration in a colorblind fashion. As for Trump, he’s a demogogic thug who locks children in dog kennels. There is nothing that asshole could do to undo his alienation of me.

Of course, any position to your left on immigration is “bad faith” by your standard so I’ll extricate myself from this conversation now.
Good day.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2018, 10:37:40 AM »

I'm not sure how separating Hispanic families is going to become toxic for the Build the Wall deplorables and their tyrant. Plus, all he has to do is his typical blame the Democrats and his cult will devote all of their anger and frustration to going after the LIBTARDS. If Access Hollywood, Charlottesville, and meeting with Kim Jong-un couldn't be toxic for the Dear Fuhrer, I doubt anything will.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2018, 10:55:01 AM »

I'm not sure how separating Hispanic families is going to become toxic for the Build the Wall deplorables and their tyrant. Plus, all he has to do is his typical blame the Democrats and his cult will devote all of their anger and frustration to going after the LIBTARDS. If Access Hollywood, Charlottesville, and meeting with Kim Jong-un couldn't be toxic for the Dear Fuhrer, I doubt anything will.

You can't shame him, but you can humiliate him.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2018, 11:40:10 AM »

Considering they they are building literal concentration camps on the southern border, yes.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies