Trump wants Americans to sit up at attention when he speaks
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:05:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump wants Americans to sit up at attention when he speaks
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Trump wants Americans to sit up at attention when he speaks  (Read 1347 times)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2018, 08:01:23 AM »

We laugh, but remember it was a visit to NK that convinced Ceausescu to become a dictator.

Worth remembering. Ceausescu was not quite the murderer that any member of the Kim dynasty was, but he was horrible.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2018, 08:03:48 AM »

I’m hopeful that our democratic institutions are strong enough to prevent Trump from becoming a dictator, no matter how much he clearly wants to be one.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2018, 08:21:29 AM »

This seems like a joke, albeit an extremely distasteful and weird one

How many times do we have to hear "he's just joking" about his tyrannical aspirations?

And note that "he's just joking", even if said by Trump himself is not any sort of apology or retraction.

I seem to remember reading that not that long ago, 'I was just joking' was used as a cover for all sorts of bigoted behavior here in the US.

Idi A-murderin' (Idi Amin) showed that sort of humor.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2018, 06:39:45 PM »

I’m hopeful that our democratic institutions are strong enough to prevent Drumpf from becoming a dictator, no matter how much he clearly wants to be one.

Unfortunately our system relies on checks and balances between the branches of government, and one branch in particular is failing miserably at their job to check the President.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2018, 06:49:07 PM »

I’m hopeful that our democratic institutions are strong enough to prevent Drumpf from becoming a dictator, no matter how much he clearly wants to be one.

Unfortunately our system relies on checks and balances between the branches of government, and one branch in particular is failing miserably at their job to check the President.

At this point it is fair to say that any check on the presidency that requires the president's party to do the checking is automatically useless. I don't know exactly how much Democratic voters would put up with from a Democratic president, but it's becoming pretty clear that Congressional Republicans would stand by Trump through just about anything so long as he maintains favor with Republican voters. If Trump somehow found the means and rationale to suspend the next presidential election, I would seriously doubt that Congressional Republicans would turn on him en masse so long as he offered some sort of justification that the base accepted. They don't want to upset the base and lose their jobs, so they'd begrudgingly participate in the end of America's democratic system so long as they thought they could cling to power through the worst of it.

I think we need to amend the constitution to introduce another check. I always liked the idea of SCOTUS being able to appoint a special prosecutor for the worst cases of abuse.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies