Three questions about a 2008 Hillary win
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:32:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Three questions about a 2008 Hillary win
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Three questions about a 2008 Hillary win  (Read 1176 times)
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 15, 2018, 08:20:12 PM »

Let's say Hillary narrowly won the 2008 Democratic primary.

1.) In what states could/should/would she have made realistic improvements during the primary compared with the real results?

2.) Whom would she have chosen as her running mate? (Obama had already pointed out several times that he would not be available for the vice-presidency.)

3.) What position/office would Hillary have invested him with? (If any.)

1.) I think Virginia and Maryland. I was a bit astonished when I discovered that she preformed a bit better in MD than in VA. But also New Mexico.

2.) Probably Bill Richardson, Dennis Kucinich or Phil Bredesen.

3.) U.S. ambassador to the United Nations.

What do you guys think?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 06:35:29 PM »

1. Maine, Missouri, Connecticut, Vermont, North Dakota, Kansas, Nebraska, and Delaware
2. Evan Bayh.
3. Attorney General if any, but I suspect he’d refuse and run for Governor in 2010.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 10:37:17 PM »

Mark Warner, no doubt, she was close to. Kaine would of replaced Warner, in Senate😀
BenBurch
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.74, S: 7.22

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 08:23:53 AM »

The election would be a lot closer.  The reason why Obama was able to do so well was because he turned out massive numbers of liberals and especially minorities, even as he cut out the WWC from his coalition.  Hillary would not nearly have so much strength.  In fact, McCain might very well keep Virginia, Nevada, and Florida, not to mention North Carolina and Indiana and Ohio (he won by massive turnout in Cuyahoga County), and he would have been able to paint her as corrupt, not something he could do to Obama. 
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 10:16:37 PM »

If the economic crash doesn't happen, McCain wins.

If it does, Hillary wins a close election, losing every tossup state Obama carried except for Ohio and Florida.

As for what position Obama would be offered, I'd guess, either Attorney General or Housing and Urban Development. I think Obama would accept Attorney General (or State, or Homeland Security), but decline anything else, for much the same reasons as to why Hillary accepted State when Obama won in 2008 IRL.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 10:27:30 AM »

The election would be a lot closer.  The reason why Obama was able to do so well was because he turned out massive numbers of liberals and especially minorities, even as he cut out the WWC from his coalition.  Hillary would not nearly have so much strength.  In fact, McCain might very well keep Virginia, Nevada, and Florida, not to mention North Carolina and Indiana and Ohio (he won by massive turnout in Cuyahoga County), and he would have been able to paint her as corrupt, not something he could do to Obama. 

He didn't though: he actually did pretty well with WWC in 2008 (he wouldn't have been able to win IN or win WI, PA, IA, and MI by double digits otherwise), and while he lost ground compared to Kerry in Appalachia and the South, he more than made up for it in the Midwest and Northeast. The Hillary campaign was built on the assumption that you could, and look what happened.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies