US withdrawing from UN human rights council
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:57:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  US withdrawing from UN human rights council
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: US withdrawing from UN human rights council  (Read 3370 times)
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2018, 05:30:49 PM »

Yes, there are reasons to criticize Israel just like there are reasons to criticize every nation.  It's unfortunate that most "official" criticism comes from people that are clearly racist.  Remember, extreme focus on Israel by racists is what killed the last human rights group at the UN.  Maybe it's time to change the name on the doors again and try replacing it with something that doesn't let racist countries with horrid human rights records in the next group.
If you go by records, then the United States itself would be disqualified from any such group. Records are forever.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2018, 05:31:59 PM »

I'm assuming this is being done as a not-subtle "screw you" to Palestine.

Contrary to what the internet would have you believe, Hamasistan and the West Bank kleptocrats are actually a very minor issue in the grand scheme of world affairs.

And contrary to what you believe, Israel is not the only country that matters and Jews are not the only people in the world who have ever been treated badly in history.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2018, 05:52:54 PM »

Yes, there are reasons to criticize Israel just like there are reasons to criticize every nation.  It's unfortunate that most "official" criticism comes from people that are clearly racist.  Remember, extreme focus on Israel by racists is what killed the last human rights group at the UN.  Maybe it's time to change the name on the doors again and try replacing it with something that doesn't let racist countries with horrid human rights records in the next group.
If you go by records, then the United States itself would be disqualified from any such group. Records are forever.
I didn't suggest they would be....but if you think America sucks so much ass, what countries would you suggest?

Contrary to what the internet would have you believe, Hamasistan and the West Bank kleptocrats are actually a very minor issue in the grand scheme of world affairs.

And contrary to what you believe, Israel is not the only country that matters and Jews are not the only people in the world who have ever been treated badly in history.
could you point where he said that Israel was the only country that mattered or Jews were the only people mistreated?
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2018, 06:06:34 PM »

DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2018, 06:20:34 PM »

I didn't suggest they would be....but if you think America sucks so much ass, what countries would you suggest?

Please, can the hyperbole. I never said anything about the country "sucking ass", I just pointed out that if you go by records that no country is really perfect.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2018, 07:34:01 PM »

Please, can the hyperbole. I never said anything about the country "sucking ass", I just pointed out that if you go by records that no country is really perfect.
Yep, I said as much in the first line of the post you quoted.

Not all countries are the same.  Yes, Belgians did some horrible sh**t a hundred and thirty years ago, but they've been pretty cool the last 70 years or so.  It makes sense to put them on a human rights group.  Belarus, not so much.  You shouldn't be able to get on the list if way more people flee from your country than too your country.  So Costa Rica makes sense, Cuba does not.
UncleSam

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2018, 07:57:55 PM »

I thought this place was smart enough to know the UNHRC was a racist, garbage organization?  Trump makes his enemies stupid somehow.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2018, 08:45:58 PM »

Yep, I said as much in the first line of the post you quoted.

Not all countries are the same.  Yes, Belgians did some horrible sh**t a hundred and thirty years ago, but they've been pretty cool the last 70 years or so.  It makes sense to put them on a human rights group.  Belarus, not so much.  You shouldn't be able to get on the list if way more people flee from your country than too your country.  So Costa Rica makes sense, Cuba does not.

A country can treat its citizens well and still have net out-migration, and vice versa. That's a very odd metric to use.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2018, 08:49:23 PM »

could you point where he said that Israel was the only country that mattered or Jews were the only people mistreated?

I've never seen him criticize a country's human rights unless they also have bad relations with Israel.

(And he would certainly never criticize Israel's spotty record on human rights. See the Sabra and Shatila massacres, collaboration with Apartheid South Africa and right-wing Central American regimes in the 1980s, endemic racism against non-Jews in Israel, etc.)
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2018, 09:06:31 PM »

Darth Pi is clearly aware enough to know the UNHRC's only job is to sh**t on Israel, but doesn't care.  That's suspicious.

I mean, Israel has only been illegally occupying the West Bank for 50 years? Why not take it slow trying to fix it? Especially with a Likud government that is less interested in peace than any before it in Israel's history.

Look, the UNHRC is far from perfect. It should be devoting more time to other human rights abuses, absolutely. And yes, it is an absurdity that there are countries like Saudi Arabia on it. But that doesn't change the fact that the Israeli government deserves to be called out, frequently, for its record. And it doesn't change the fact that the Trump administration is doing everything it can to bolster the forces who support the occupation and silence those who criticize it.

Israel won control of the territory as the result of a war the Palestinians helped launch (twice). Should Poland also give Pomerania back to Germany?
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2018, 09:30:12 PM »

Darth Pi is clearly aware enough to know the UNHRC's only job is to sh**t on Israel, but doesn't care.  That's suspicious.

I mean, Israel has only been illegally occupying the West Bank for 50 years? Why not take it slow trying to fix it? Especially with a Likud government that is less interested in peace than any before it in Israel's history.

Look, the UNHRC is far from perfect. It should be devoting more time to other human rights abuses, absolutely. And yes, it is an absurdity that there are countries like Saudi Arabia on it. But that doesn't change the fact that the Israeli government deserves to be called out, frequently, for its record. And it doesn't change the fact that the Trump administration is doing everything it can to bolster the forces who support the occupation and silence those who criticize it.

Israel won control of the territory as the result of a war the Palestinians helped launch (twice). Should Poland also give Pomerania back to Germany?

If Israel had shown any interest in treating the Palestinians in the occupied territories as equal citizens you might (emphasis on might) have a point - though I'm not familiar enough with all of the principles of international law to say so with confidence. As it stands, Israel has repeatedly demonstrated that it has no interest in doing so.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2018, 09:32:09 PM »

A country can treat its citizens well and still have net out-migration
sure, in theory.  I can't think of any examples that don't include very recent sh**tty govts that ruined the economy or natural disasters.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
are there any examples that don't involve the importation of slaves from the Philippines or moderately sh**tty places taking refugees from even worse places?
UncleSam

« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2018, 09:57:44 PM »

If Israel had shown any interest in treating the Palestinians in the occupied territories as equal citizens you might (emphasis on might) have a point - though I'm not familiar enough with all of the principles of international law to say so with confidence. As it stands, Israel has repeatedly demonstrated that it has no interest in doing so.
Literally why should they. They own the land of Israel, and they're a civilized democracy with real human rights. Palestine is a barbaric theocracy where their citizens have nothing resembling rights and where their primary modus operandi is to exterminate the Jews (and the West) in the name of religious purity. I have zero sympathy for Palestine (though obviously tons for individual Palestinians, those who do not hate those of other faiths), and zero inclination to force Israel to accept as citizens or equals those who wish to purge its' existence from this earth. Israel has every right to defend itself and its' existence and the notion that the United States ought not stand with a westernized democracy in the most barbaric and backwards region of the globe because 'they were there first' (which isn't even true, they've been handing that area off for thousands of years) is nuts.
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2018, 10:12:00 PM »

Literally why should they. They own the land of Israel, and they're a civilized democracy with real human rights. Palestine is a barbaric theocracy where their citizens have nothing resembling rights and where their primary modus operandi is to exterminate the Jews (and the West) in the name of religious purity. I have zero sympathy for Palestine (though obviously tons for individual Palestinians, those who do not hate those of other faiths), and zero inclination to force Israel to accept as citizens or equals those who wish to purge its' existence from this earth. Israel has every right to defend itself and its' existence and the notion that the United States ought not stand with a westernized democracy in the most barbaric and backwards region of the globe because 'they were there first' (which isn't even true, they've been handing that area off for thousands of years) is nuts.

I can't imagine how misinformed you have to be to think that is the "primary modus operandi" of Palestine. Even if you are just talking about Hamas, which is an abhorrent and violent extremist faction, has said as recently as last year that they would accept a Palestinian state based on the 1967 borders and that they do not consider Jews in general to be their enemy.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2018, 02:34:03 AM »

I can't imagine how misinformed you have to be to think that is the "primary modus operandi" of Palestine. Even if you are just talking about Hamas, which is an abhorrent and violent extremist faction, has said as recently as last year that they would accept a Palestinian state based on the 1967 borders and that they do not consider Jews in general to be their enemy.

Clearly Palestinians sit around all day brainstorming ways to wipe The Jews off the face of the Earth. That's all. They don't have jobs or families or other things to fill their day. Just scary super secret Jew-exterminating planning.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2018, 04:41:49 AM »

Any organisation featuring Saudi Arabia should be barred from calling itself a human rights organisation. Don't really see how this changes things.
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2018, 06:03:52 AM »

Just what is the above-poster's views on the Holocaust?  I'm all ears!

The Holocaust brought forth the clear fact that the Jews had both a RIGHT and a NEED for a piece of the World's turf, and the one given them is one they have an historic claim to.

No one cared about that land until the establishment of the State of Israel.  And the old city of Jerusalem wasn't a big deal for Islam until the Six Day War.

Lots of red avatars here have no sympathy for the plight of WV coal miners, and, indeed, the WWC in general, because they have put their trust and loyalty in Donald Trump.  By that logic, why should I have any regard for the Palestinians, who have put their trust in Hamas, a terrorist organization dedicated to destroying Israel?  I understand the many issues of the demographics of Israel, the conflicts between Zionism and minority rights, etc.  Israel is not perfect.  But I don't have a real problem with a nation that was being squeezed by every one of its neighbors, each of whom advocated its destruction, keeping the spoils of war, if only for defensible borders.  And I'm certainly fine with Jerusalem, ALL of it, in Israeli hands, as ongoing punishment for the Arab refusal to acknowledge Israel's right to exist prior to 1967, and their acting on that.

As for this Council, and the UN as a whole:  I am saddened as to what the UN has become, but I don't see withdrawing from it as a solution.  The UN is the World's Forum; it's where nations go to hash out disagreements, and it's been successful in forestalling a nuclear war in the world. "Jaw, jaw, jaw" is better than "War, War, War".  That's a Winston Churchill quote, and he was absolutely right, and the UN is where "jawing" occurs.  We should be part of it, and we benefit greatly from the UN being anchored in the US.  We would not be better off if it were in Geneva, and we would DEFINITELY not be better off if it were in Beijing or Dubai.  But I do think that this council is a farce.  I do think that our involvement in it legitimizes the illegitimate.  And the United States, while not perfect, has more to say authoritatively on human rights than most nations of the world, and most definitely more than the crew on this bogus council.  Being sincerely interested in Human Rights would probably involve ingoring the "judgments" of these moral pygmies at every turn.
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2018, 11:33:38 AM »

Just what is the above-poster's views on the Holocaust?  I'm all ears!

The Holocaust brought forth the clear fact that the Jews had both a RIGHT and a NEED for a piece of the World's turf, and the one given them is one they have an historic claim to.

No one cared about that land until the establishment of the State of Israel.  And the old city of Jerusalem wasn't a big deal for Islam until the Six Day War.

Lots of red avatars here have no sympathy for the plight of WV coal miners, and, indeed, the WWC in general, because they have put their trust and loyalty in Donald Trump.  By that logic, why should I have any regard for the Palestinians, who have put their trust in Hamas, a terrorist organization dedicated to destroying Israel?  I understand the many issues of the demographics of Israel, the conflicts between Zionism and minority rights, etc.  Israel is not perfect.  But I don't have a real problem with a nation that was being squeezed by every one of its neighbors, each of whom advocated its destruction, keeping the spoils of war, if only for defensible borders.  And I'm certainly fine with Jerusalem, ALL of it, in Israeli hands, as ongoing punishment for the Arab refusal to acknowledge Israel's right to exist prior to 1967, and their acting on that.

As for this Council, and the UN as a whole:  I am saddened as to what the UN has become, but I don't see withdrawing from it as a solution.  The UN is the World's Forum; it's where nations go to hash out disagreements, and it's been successful in forestalling a nuclear war in the world. "Jaw, jaw, jaw" is better than "War, War, War".  That's a Winston Churchill quote, and he was absolutely right, and the UN is where "jawing" occurs.  We should be part of it, and we benefit greatly from the UN being anchored in the US.  We would not be better off if it were in Geneva, and we would DEFINITELY not be better off if it were in Beijing or Dubai.  But I do think that this council is a farce.  I do think that our involvement in it legitimizes the illegitimate.  And the United States, while not perfect, has more to say authoritatively on human rights than most nations of the world, and most definitely more than the crew on this bogus council.  Being sincerely interested in Human Rights would probably involve ingoring the "judgments" of these moral pygmies at every turn.

I would agree with the bolded section entirely, not just due to the Holocaust but due to the history of antisemitism and pogroms stretching back much longer than that. That being said, that doesn't give the Israeli government the right to do whatever the hell it wants with no consequence or criticism. The current US administration plainly believes the Israeli government should be beyond criticism, and I have a problem with that.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2018, 11:37:12 AM »

We don't need to take orders from liberal globalists at the UN. We need to form closer bonds with Duterte, Kim Jong Un, Putin and Erdogan. We need to build a wall on the Canadian border, and build a bridge to Russia from Alaska.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2018, 12:31:46 PM »

No one cared about that land until the establishment of the State of Israel.  And the old city of Jerusalem wasn't a big deal for Islam until the Six Day War.

Lots of red avatars here have no sympathy for the plight of WV coal miners, and, indeed, the WWC in general, because they have put their trust and loyalty in Donald Trump.  By that logic, why should I have any regard for the Palestinians, who have put their trust in Hamas, a terrorist organization dedicated to destroying Israel?  I understand the many issues of the demographics of Israel, the conflicts between Zionism and minority rights, etc.  Israel is not perfect.  But I don't have a real problem with a nation that was being squeezed by every one of its neighbors, each of whom advocated its destruction, keeping the spoils of war, if only for defensible borders.  And I'm certainly fine with Jerusalem, ALL of it, in Israeli hands, as ongoing punishment for the Arab refusal to acknowledge Israel's right to exist prior to 1967, and their acting on that.

As for this Council, and the UN as a whole:  I am saddened as to what the UN has become, but I don't see withdrawing from it as a solution.  The UN is the World's Forum; it's where nations go to hash out disagreements, and it's been successful in forestalling a nuclear war in the world. "Jaw, jaw, jaw" is better than "War, War, War".  That's a Winston Churchill quote, and he was absolutely right, and the UN is where "jawing" occurs.  We should be part of it, and we benefit greatly from the UN being anchored in the US.  We would not be better off if it were in Geneva, and we would DEFINITELY not be better off if it were in Beijing or Dubai.  But I do think that this council is a farce.  I do think that our involvement in it legitimizes the illegitimate.  And the United States, while not perfect, has more to say authoritatively on human rights than most nations of the world, and most definitely more than the crew on this bogus council.  Being sincerely interested in Human Rights would probably involve ingoring the "judgments" of these moral pygmies at every turn.

Not unreasonable, whether one agrees or disagrees.

Part of the problem is it’s impossible to have a nuanced discussion about Israel, especially settlement policy. One is either a virulent anti-Semite or an apologist for Bibi’s apartheid state.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2018, 04:55:41 PM »

The people who were already living there certainly did.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2018, 07:26:13 PM »

Considering the atrocities that we are committing right now by forcibly removing children from their parents, now might not be the best time to criticize the UN regarding human rights. 
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2018, 11:35:13 AM »

So Trump decided that today of all days was the best day to announce this. Great optics, lol.
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2018, 12:05:54 PM »

Of course not.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2018, 04:31:09 PM »

We don't need to take orders from liberal globalists at the UN. We need to form closer bonds with Duterte, Kim Jong Un, Putin and Erdogan. We need to build a wall on the Canadian border, and build a bridge to Russia from Alaska.

If we wanted to form closer bonds to Duterte, Trump should have stayed on the UNHRC with him.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies