Italian Elections and Politics 2022 - Our Time to Schlein
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:10:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Italian Elections and Politics 2022 - Our Time to Schlein
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 80
Author Topic: Italian Elections and Politics 2022 - Our Time to Schlein  (Read 169927 times)
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2018, 08:26:09 AM »

I wonder if the new party launched by Renzi is going to be more similar to En Marche! or Ciudadanos. I have more doubts, however, concerning the viability of the project.

It's not official, to be clear. And yesterday night he said that he has no intention of launching a new party.
But, speaking as somebody who is a PD member and knows a few people close to Renzi, it seems highly likely.

Amongst the possible names for this party there were "Libdem" and "Cittadini", which is Italian for Ciudadanos...

Cheesy
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2018, 08:32:39 AM »

I wonder if the new party launched by Renzi is going to be more similar to En Marche! or Ciudadanos. I have more doubts, however, concerning the viability of the project.

It's not official, to be clear. And yesterday night he said that he has no intention of launching a new party.
But, speaking as somebody who is a PD member and knows a few people close to Renzi, it seems highly likely.

Amongst the possible names for this party there were "Libdem" and "Cittadini", which is Italian for Ciudadanos...

Macron did try to get him involved in his hypothetical new European group iirc. Interesting that Renzi is just going for an entirely new party, though.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2018, 03:20:16 PM »

God Renzi seems to be losing brain cells by the day. This stunt is only going to leave him more irrelevant than ever before. He could have had the decency to go quietly into the night and become a celebrity political commentator or something, but no, he insists on dragging this out and making a fool of himself. It's really a shame - the guy had a lot of potential.

Hopefully Zingaretti wins and this circus ends quickly.
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2018, 04:40:43 AM »

Yesterday the deputies closer to Renzi met to decide how to approach the congress.
A few refused to go after Martina criticized Renzi's words on the party ("I should have used a flamethrower"). The majority gave a mandate to negotiate with Martina, but a few, stubborn supporters refused to join the "reformist front" and so we now have a new ticket, Giachetti/Ascani.
Giachetti is a deputy, former mayor candidate in Rome in 2016 (lost badly the second round against M5S' Raggi), while Ascani is a young deputy from Umbria and would be the vice-secretary.

I am curious to see how it turns out, I'd say that they would be behind both Zingaretti and Martina.

SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2018, 04:41:29 AM »

God Renzi seems to be losing brain cells by the day. This stunt is only going to leave him more irrelevant than ever before. He could have had the decency to go quietly into the night and become a celebrity political commentator or something, but no, he insists on dragging this out and making a fool of himself. It's really a shame - the guy had a lot of potential.

Hopefully Zingaretti wins and this circus ends quickly.

Just to be clear - a win by Zingaretti would not ensure "peace" in the Italian center-left at all.
rob in cal
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2019, 12:02:44 PM »

Yesterday a lower house committee passed a bill to allow what I interpret to mean a national initiative and referendum law, like we have in many US states and in Switzerland in which new laws may be voted on in a referendum if the proposal gets enough signatures. Right now Italy allows votes to approve existing laws, I believe, but this would be a big new step toward direct democracy. Does this have a good chance of going forward, and how do the non-government parties view it?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2019, 02:20:11 PM »

Yesterday a lower house committee passed a bill to allow what I interpret to mean a national initiative and referendum law, like we have in many US states and in Switzerland in which new laws may be voted on in a referendum if the proposal gets enough signatures. Right now Italy allows votes to approve existing laws, I believe, but this would be a big new step toward direct democracy. Does this have a good chance of going forward, and how do the non-government parties view it?

Muh direct democracy has always been one of M5S' major causes. Lega is less enthused about it, but they might still go for it as a way of getting concessions elsewhere (like on the Turin-Lyon high speed rail project, which M5S opposes).
Andrea
Italy
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2019, 05:07:57 PM »

On Sunday a by-election was held in the Cagliari 1 constituency after the resignation of Andrea Mura (5 Stars, then expelled for lack of attendance)

Results

Andrea Frailis (Progressives for Sardinia) 40.46% ELECTED
Luca Caschili (5 Stars) 28.92%
Daniela Noli (Northern League-Forza Italia-Brothers of Italy) 27.8%
Enrico Balletto (Casapound) 2.81%

turnout 15.54%
Leading Political Consultant Ma Anand Sheela
Heat

« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2019, 05:42:11 PM »

I assume this is some sort of local PD satellite?
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2019, 05:49:35 PM »

I assume this is some sort of local PD satellite?
Yes.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2019, 09:09:00 PM »

So should we take this as some sort of shift away from the League and M5S back towards the left, or was Frailis a really strong candidate?
rc18
United Kingdom

« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2019, 09:49:29 PM »

Turnout was just 15% compared to 67% in the general election so it can't really tell us anything.
rob in cal
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2019, 03:01:08 PM »

Intresting that FI and the League still ran together, and that the League ran against its coalition partner.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2019, 04:48:15 PM »

So should we take this as some sort of shift away from the League and M5S back towards the left, or was Frailis a really strong candidate?

Probably the latter, there is also localism at play. National polling suggests that there is almost a majority for the right percent-wise, and a clear majority seat wise. This is thanks to Lega of course, so how much this trend benefits Italy has yet to be seen. It's also possible the seat was a M5S-Left battleground before, so M5S losing votes to the Right pushes the left ahead.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2019, 10:30:33 PM »

Probably the latter, there is also localism at play. National polling suggests that there is almost a majority for the right percent-wise, and a clear majority seat wise. This is thanks to Lega of course, so how much this trend benefits Italy has yet to be seen. It's also possible the seat was a M5S-Left battleground before, so M5S losing votes to the Right pushes the left ahead.

I imagine there's also quite a large number of people who are happy to elect left-wingers at the local level but don't want to do so at the national level. Happy to give the left control of local infrastructure, not so happy to give them control of immigration policy.
Diouf
Denmark
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2019, 10:13:50 AM »

EMG polling

54% of Lega voters prefer a coalition with the centre-right, while 44% prefer the current coalition with M5S.

Umengus
Belgium

« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2019, 04:10:18 PM »

Yesterday was the regional election in Sardignia
For now (1608/1840):

right: 52 %
left: 30 %
MI5: 9 %

So a new landslide for Salvini & co, after the 02/10 Abruzzes election (right: 49 left 30 MI5 19) and a massive rout for MI5.
Grand Wizard Lizard of the Klan
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 5.39

« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2019, 04:56:58 PM »

How much Zingaretti can be treated as seriously centre-left candidate? I've seen his program which was ok, I know who supports him and I do not have positive opinion about Italian political system and that makes me doubt that he will be any plausible alternative to Renzi or his opponents in open primary.
rob in cal
« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2019, 12:09:46 PM »

http://www.ansa.it/english/news/2019/03/01/migrant-arrivals-by-sea-down-95-in-2019-salvini_eeb8a43a-829d-4a28-a08d-65b4d34f7a27.html

Looks like Salvini is having some success with the flagship policy of his party.
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2019, 06:00:12 PM »

How much Zingaretti can be treated as seriously centre-left candidate? I've seen his program which was ok, I know who supports him and I do not have positive opinion about Italian political system and that makes me doubt that he will be any plausible alternative to Renzi or his opponents in open primary.
Don't really like him at all.
He's likely to win tomorrow based on the fact that he is a generic anti-Renzi, leftist candidate. But time and time again he has shown no backbone when it mattered, such as when he refused to run for mayor in 2013 preferring to run for Lazio's governorship, even though the former was where he was truly needed. Even now he's inconsistent, changing opinion on a weekly basis based on the polls (such as his stance on an alliance with M5S).

I'll vote for Martina (and stay at the poll from 7am till 9pm...), since his message is much more convincing (correct the path, and not just go some other unclear direction), and he's more likely to unite the party and the center-left. But we'll see.
Grand Wizard Lizard of the Klan
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 5.39

« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2019, 05:01:21 PM »

Zingaretti smashed, 65-70% of votes. According to media almost 1,8 milion people voted.
Diouf
Denmark
« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2019, 06:21:23 AM »

Opposition in M5S towards Lega's promised flat tax:

Minister for the South Barbara Lezzi said Monday that she thinks it could be too expensive to press ahead with plans to introduce a two-tier flat tax on income. "The flat tax costs 60 billion euros and our country cannot afford it," Lezzi, a M5S member, told Radio 24. "So it is a promise that cannot be kept".
    Deputy Premier, Interior Minister and League leader Matteo Salvini on Monday dismissed reports that the 'flat tax' could cost up to 60 billion euros, saying 12 to 15 billion euros should suffice. Another senior M5S member, Economy Ministry Undersecretary Laura Castelli, said even that would be too much.
    "I don't think one should keeping shooting for unreachable things," Castelli told reporters.
    "Even if it were 15 billion, today the (cost of the) reform of (income tax) IRPEF is unsustainable, so it is necessary to reorganize the existing system".

http://www.ansa.it/english/news/politics/2019/03/18/flat-tax-promise-cant-be-kept-lezzi_7274c3f3-244e-4873-b27f-53857d663635.html
Diouf
Denmark
« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2019, 06:55:25 AM »

M5S behind PD in SWG poll

rob in cal
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2019, 11:13:34 AM »

http://www.ansa.it/english/news/2019/03/20/man-hijacks-bus-carrying-pupils-and-sets-it-alight_c0d038c7-5b62-45ec-afa4-2429eceb6839.html

Anti Salvini activist from Senegal gets carried away with his feelings.
Umengus
Belgium

« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2019, 05:21:49 PM »

World Elects
‏ @ElectsWorld
19 minil y a 19 minutes

🇮🇹#Italy, #Basilicata regional election exit #poll :

#Bardi-Center Right Coalition : 42-44 %
#Trerotola-Center Left Coalition : 36-38 %
#Mattia-#M5S : 16-18 %

#Affaritalianiit, #ElezioniBasilicata #Basilicata