GuberNUTorial: 49D
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:06:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  GuberNUTorial: 49D
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: GuberNUTorial: 49D  (Read 690 times)
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 18, 2018, 02:31:11 PM »

wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 02:34:32 PM »

You wake up in a drunken stupor on the morning of November 4, 2020. It's a bright, cold day outside, typical of the weather at this time of year. You only have vague memories of the absolutely wild Election Day party yesterday. You remember something, vaguely, about Trump conceding to the 46th President of the United States, Joe Biden. Although uncomfortable to do with a rather bad headache, you eventually groggily lift yourself up and peer at the still flickering TV. What you see shocks you.

It would appear that the Democrats have taken the Governor's Mansion in every state in the nation save one, the Great State of Arkansas. You try to mentally play back the events of the last four years. How did this happen?

(This is a fun little recap of how Democrats could win every governorship in a state not called Arkansas. I'll try to hit all 49 states before we get to the grand finale.)
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 02:50:52 PM »

Yeah, they could definitely win Arkansas as well. Henderson is a strong candidate.
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 02:56:38 PM »
« Edited: June 18, 2018, 03:01:51 PM by westroopnerd »

1. Virginia: November 7, 2017
Ralph Northam (D): 53.9%
Ed Gillespie (R): 45.0%

Did the Democrats have a future at the state level, even in the era of Trump? That was the question in the back of political junkies across the nation as America settled down to watch one of the first referenda on Trumpism. Northam had received quite a scare in the polls about a week before election day, with a few polls showing Gillespie with an improbable lead. Northam remained confident that Virginians would see through Gillespie's front and find a right wing rabble rouser, Gillespie hoped that Virginians would see in Northam an establishment backed swamp creature. Either way, the direction of the country politically and, even more importantly, the fate of the midterms was hanging in the balance.

“Today, Virginia has told us to end the divisiveness, that we will not condone hatred and bigotry, and to end the politics that have torn this country apart."

"In Virginia, it’s going to take a doctor to heal our differences, to bring unity to our people, and I’m here to let you know that the doctor is in.”

“We live in a very diverse society it is getting more diverse every day, it is that diverse society that makes this country great."

“As governor, I will make sure that we will be inclusive — our doors will be open.”

Northam concluded his victory speech in front of a crowd that seemed to be half cheering and half jeering. Virginia, however, threw its support behind "the doctor" with gusto. A lot of people hadn't predicted the massive nine point margin that Northam crushed Gillespie by, destroying Gillespie in NoVA (despite the rain) and Hampton Roads - just like a lot of people scoffed at the idea of Democrats sweeping Governor's Mansions across the nation over the next few years.
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 02:59:17 PM »

Yeah, they could definitely win Arkansas as well. Henderson is a strong candidate.

Haha, I like Henderson and I will never rule out the possibility of any candidate in any election winning a race, but I had to include one Republican win just for the effect, and let's face it, Arkansas is probably the least likely state to end up with a Democratic Governor in the next few years.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 05:26:08 PM »

Haha, I like Henderson and I will never rule out the possibility of any candidate in any election winning a race, but I had to include one Republican win just for the effect, and let's face it, Arkansas is probably the least likely state to end up with a Democratic Governor in the next few years.
Meh, think Idaho will be that state.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 08:54:56 PM »

You wake up in a drunken stupor on the morning of November 4, 2020. It's a bright, cold day outside, typical of the weather at this time of year. You only have vague memories of the absolutely wild Election Day party yesterday. You remember something, vaguely, about Trump conceding to the 46th President of the United States, Joe Biden. Although uncomfortable to do with a rather bad headache, you eventually groggily lift yourself up and peer at the still flickering TV. What you see shocks you.

It would appear that the Democrats have taken the Governor's Mansion in every state in the nation save one, the Great State of Arkansas. You try to mentally play back the events of the last four years. How did this happen?

(This is a fun little recap of how Democrats could win every governorship in a state not called Arkansas. I'll try to hit all 49 states before we get to the grand finale.)
ULTIMATE NUT!
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 09:34:57 PM »

Meh, think Idaho will be that state.
If you ask me, Jordan is a way better candidate than Henderson. Not that she's really likely to win, of course, Idaho is up there with Wyoming, Nebraska, and Alabama in the "highly, highly unlikely" category, but I would argue that Arkansas is the least likely of them all.
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 11:52:15 PM »

2. New Jersey: November 7, 2017
Phil Murphy (D): 56.0%
Kim Guadagno (R): 41.9%

15%. That's how low Chris Christie's abysmal approval rating got as New Jersey's hated 55th Governor. Rocked by scandal and a failed presidential bid, Christie essentially delivered the election straight into the waiting hands of his possible Democratic successor, Phil Murphy. Democrats were confident they had this one in the bag with superior campaigning, poll numbers, fundraising, and popular support.

“Tonight we declare the days of division are over. We will move forward together. This is exactly who we are in New Jersey. We have each other’s backs. To believe in each of us is to believe in all of us."

To nobody's surprise, Murphy easily won the election by a large margin. New Jersey was done with the scandal and shame of the Christie years. New Jersey was ready for a new leader that would move the state in the right direction once again. And New Jersey strongly believed that that leader was Phil Murphy. From Newark to Trenton, from Jersey City to Camden, Phil Murphy was swept into office. As Democrats rejoiced in their twin victories on the night of November 7, they looked optimistically toward the future...
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 12:35:39 AM »

December 3, 2017

Dan had finally made up his mind.

He played the past year over in his mind with an already-nostalgic zeal. What a year it had been! A lot of negative news with Trump in the White House, to say the least. Scandal and shock at every corner. For Dannel Malloy personally, however, the year had been rough. Hell, his entire tenure as the Governor of Connecticut had been rough. Faced with a massive budget deficit as soon as he entered office, he was forced to raise taxes, and despite trying to make up ground with voters, he only narrowly won reelection three years ago and suffered from awful approval ratings.

Dannel sighed. He couldn't deny that he was slightly bitter about the whole affair. He really did want to improve Connecticut, and he couldn't shake the feeling that he was dealt a bad hand from the start.

Negative news there had been in abundance, but there were some positives as well. His tenure as Governor was... not the best, but his tenure as DGA Chair had gone pretty well, actually. Ralph and Phil had done very well in their elections last month, giving reason for hope in the age of Trump. Not to mention, with cash starting to flow and early candidate recruitment going well, 2018 was increasingly looking like a great midterm for Democratic Governors. What he needed now was a successor. A DGA Chair that would knock the job out of the park. Someone experienced, popular, and bold that would lead the Democrats to success in 2018.

Dannel had indeed made up his mind. Pushing a button on his desk, he spoke with confidence. "Please get me on the phone with Jay Inslee."

December 4, 2017

“The DGA is proud to announce Governor Jay Inslee will serve as its next chair. Governor Inslee has been a leader in progressive, pro-growth policies in Washington state. And Governor Inslee has played a critical role in supporting Democratic governors across the country.  Democrats are going on offense in 2018, and I look forward to continuing to work with Inslee and the DGA to elect many more Democratic governors across the country next year.”

His remarks complete, Dannel turned the stage over to his successor.

“The entire DGA thanks Governor Malloy for his amazing leadership this past year. Under Gov. Malloy’s leadership, the DGA broke fundraising records, swept the 2017 election cycle, and re-elected all of its Democratic incumbents in 2016."

“At a time voters are witnessing a complete breakdown of leadership in DC, states and governors are proving we can still get things done. Democratic governors are standing strong to protect middle-class families and lead the way on policies that strengthen our communities, grow our economies and protect affordable health care. We’ve seen an incredible groundswell of new candidates running up and down the ballot, and the 2018 cycle is a once-in-a-generation opportunity to elect new Democratic leaders in states across the country. Electing Democratic governors is the best way to combat the dysfunction in DC, strengthen the Democratic Party, and unrig the electoral map by stopping Republican gerrymandering in 2021.”

December 5, 2017

"Congratulations on your victory, Jay! I really mean it. You're bound to do a fantastic job as the chair of the DGA this year," Dannel cheerfully remarked over a slice of pizza.

Governor Malloy, alongside most of his fellow Democratic Governors, enthusiastically threw their support behind Jay Inslee of Washington to lead the Democrats into 2018. Inslee had a good record as a competent Governor and a quality financial manager in Washington, and Malloy himself personally convinced Inslee that he would make a wonderful chair.

"I appreciate it, Dannel," replied Jay. "I've clearly got big shoes to fill here."

"I can only imagine you'll continue the success we've seen over the past year."

"I'd like to think so."

"We've got plenty of great targets for 2018. Rauner is probably going to go the way of Mark Kirk. I can't see New Mexico or Maine voting for another Republican in the near future, either. Past that you've got your usual bunch of swing states-"

Jay cut him off. "I'm well aware of the targets we have, Governor. But I'm thinking big. 2018 is going down in the history books, and I'm making sure of that."

Impressed, Malloy grinned smugly. "How big?"

"Wouldn't you like to see a fifty state strategy?"
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies