A Song of Ice and Fire Thread: night gathers, and now this thread begins (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:56:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  A Song of Ice and Fire Thread: night gathers, and now this thread begins (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A Song of Ice and Fire Thread: night gathers, and now this thread begins  (Read 1294 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« on: June 18, 2018, 09:00:36 PM »

My vote would be enter at your own risk for the night is dark and full of spoilers.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 09:25:51 PM »

My vote would be enter at your own risk for the night is dark and full of spoilers.

Amen.  As for the whole universe, there is one question that I care about more than anything else - and think we might get some answers to with the spinoff idea they chose for a pilot - and it's this: TELL ME ABOUT THE FAR EAST, baby!  Asshai, the Shadow Lands, Stygai ... just give me anything more than we've been given!

Yes! The Far East is definitely my favorite part of AWOIAF!

In my head-canon, Asshai was the capital of the Great Empire of the Dawn, and the surrounding countryside was turned into the Shadowlands by whatever catastrophe caused the Long Night. Some sort of magical "radiation" is still present in the land that kills all living things, similar to what happened to the Valyrian Freehold although much longer ago.

The North has always been my favorite region by a country mile.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 10:33:28 PM »

I'm almost halfway through A Feast for Crows.  I've never read "fantasy" of the Elf and Fairy variety before (and never will again, I couldn't even read Eyes of the Dragon when I was in my King phase that we all must go through).  I'm learning lots of new words!

Cheesy definitely share your thoughts!
like with all books you read after you've seen the thing in video, I'm picturing the actors in my head and Brinne and Arya are nowhere near as ugly in the show as they are in the books....and that's weird in my head.

The excessive amount of times he writes about the clothes and environment in extreme detail is....bothersome.  yes yes, the doublet is lovely, move on!

I'm not bothered by the differences(zombie Cat, fake Arya, the Vale stuff, the Dorne stuff), I like it actually.  Maybe not zombie Cat.

I mean, ShowArya might as well be a FakeArya since she's basically a completely different character at this point who just happens to have BookArya's name *grumble* *grumble* *grumble*
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 06:42:45 AM »

are the differences in the second half of A Feast of Crows or in the last book?  Or have I missed something?  I haven't noticed too many differences in the Aryas.

I mean, Season7Arya toys with the idea of murdering her sister and wearing Sansa’s skin, is pretty kill-crazy, and talks like a 90s slasher villain.  That’s very much not the case for BookArya whom I’d argue doesn’t even enjoy killing.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 06:46:50 PM »

are the differences in the second half of A Feast of Crows or in the last book?  Or have I missed something?  I haven't noticed too many differences in the Aryas.

I mean, Season7Arya toys with the idea of murdering her sister and wearing Sansa’s skin, is pretty kill-crazy, and talks like a 90s slasher villain.  That’s very much not the case for BookArya whom I’d argue doesn’t even enjoy killing.

I don't know - Book Arya is utterly desensitized to violence at this point, has no hesitation about murdering people, and is literally in the process of being brainwashed by an assasin guild death cult. Not like Arya in the show, sure, but just as murderous and unstable.

*snip*

Like I said in IIRC, I think BookArya doesn't seem to enjoy killing at all (unlike ShowArya) and has been deeply traumatized by it.  Also, she *usually* avoids violent conflict whenever possible.  I think BookArya is just a little girl suffering from PTSD who has lost so much already and been through far more than any child should have to endure and is desperately trying to cling to some speck of control over her environment/sense that there can be justice in a world that (from her PoV) seems to reward only evil and senseless cruelty.  I don't think she's truly buying into the FM ideology b/c she didn't kill Raff for the FM, she did it b/c she's trying to still apply her sense of justice.  Same with the NW deserter.  Also, she's very much still Arya and not No One as The Mercy chapter makes crystal clear. 

Now ShowArya OTOH...well...the less said about her circa season seven, the better.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies