Question about FIPS codes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:52:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Question about FIPS codes
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Question about FIPS codes  (Read 213 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 14, 2022, 03:02:18 PM »

While working on a project for the forum, I've noticed that some counties whose names or other properties change also had a change of their FIPS code (eg: Shannon County, SD). I hadn't realized at the time but I had downloaded the 2010s FIPS code list. Now I'm curious if there is another list somewhere that might describe what counties had their names and fips changed since the 2010 list was compiled? I know Alaska has had a few, in addition to that example from SD. I did see an Excel spreadsheet on the census website for the 2020 codes but I don't have a way to scan that list & compare with the old programmatically.

Any help would be appreciated.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2022, 04:48:00 PM »

This document from September 2021 lists two FIPS county code changes for the 2010s

https://www.ddorn.net/data/FIPS_County_Code_Changes.pdf
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2022, 09:26:08 PM »

This document from September 2021 lists two FIPS county code changes for the 2010s

https://www.ddorn.net/data/FIPS_County_Code_Changes.pdf

Thank you so much! That actually did mention the two I had an issue with. I was hesitant to move forward without knowing if there were more, but I think that solves that.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2022, 10:24:03 AM »

While working on a project for the forum, I've noticed that some counties whose names or other properties change also had a change of their FIPS code (eg: Shannon County, SD). I hadn't realized at the time but I had downloaded the 2010s FIPS code list. Now I'm curious if there is another list somewhere that might describe what counties had their names and fips changed since the 2010 list was compiled? I know Alaska has had a few, in addition to that example from SD. I did see an Excel spreadsheet on the census website for the 2020 codes but I don't have a way to scan that list & compare with the old programmatically.

Are you going to use the new county equivalents in Connecticut?
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2022, 10:34:56 AM »

It might or might not be helpful to know that FIPS codes are now known as

INCITS 446-2008

Probably not since ANSI wants $60 for a PDF download.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies