Calling it Now - Trump wins Re-election (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:24:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Calling it Now - Trump wins Re-election (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Calling it Now - Trump wins Re-election  (Read 6124 times)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« on: June 20, 2018, 02:20:37 PM »

Unless and big unless here, Bernie Sanders wins the Democratic nomination. Bernie Sanders might be the only person who can beat Donald Trump. But I don't know if he actually ends up running. He would be by far the oldest president ever.

Reason being as to why I think this is, Democrats have nobody exciting or new to run, just the same old ideas by the same politicians. Same thing happened with the Republicans in 2012, they didn't have anybody good to run. Joe Biden, Cory Booker, Kamala Harris, same old crap. These millennials are getting older (Gen Z will start to vote in 2020) and the more time goes on the more Bernie-like the base of the party is going to become. Even Warren I don't think can beat Trump.

The economy will ultimately be the reason he gets re-elected. Despite all the negative media coverage of Tweets and stupid stuff he says on a weekly basis, there will be no economic reason the people who voted for him in 2016 will vote for a Democrat in 2020. And he may get some establishment Republican voters back. In addition, we're in an era where a 40%-ish approval rating is good enough if the alternative is worse. Politics is now a lesser of two evils game, Trump may have a below average approval and still win. Polling will be misleading once again and underestimate Trump, and people will have not learned their lesson from 2016. White working class voters will stand behind him once again, and he'll probably win the same states give or take one or two. The only thing that may hinder him in the electoral college is the increasing share of Latino vote that will make Arizona close and Florida even closer.

Dig this up two and a half years from now, and either laugh at me or applaud me, but I won't care either way, it's very unlikely I'll still remember this place by that time. I'm ultimately just posting this to have some courage in my gut, but I genuinely do predict this.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 02:40:00 PM »

Wow, I was wondering why the forum got so much better recently. Sad.

hahahaha

It's okay, you won't have to deal with me for much longer.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 02:53:50 PM »
« Edited: June 20, 2018, 03:03:26 PM by ElectionsGuy »

White working class voters will stand behind him once again
i'm not sure..i guess as usual it depends heavily on how you define that

I would define it by non-college degree whites with middle to lower than average incomes.

I'm also a little tired of the phrase "Democrats have nobody who excites and therefore a poised to lose". Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton and Barack Obama as well as Bernie to some degree came out of nowhere or were unknown nationally and did pretty well. So I'm not buying this stuff.

Of course, Trump can get reelected, but it's ridiculous to say Democrats are DOA. At the moment, Trump is far more likely to lose than to win.

Every one of those people either had extreme charisma, new ideas, or crossover appeal. I don't see any Democrat that has any of those strengths unless a celebrity runs or something.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 07:24:50 AM »

Exemplary of a genre of political forecasting that's aged incredibly poorly. Treating trump as immume to all laws of politics and rather as an inevitable force of history.

Congrats on finding this thread. I'm sure it was worth your time. As I said at the time, I genuinely don't care nor do I find it embarrassing or anything. I thought Trump would win at the time and I had reason to.

I'll say two things didn't age well in my post: One was the idea that the Democratic party was becoming more Bernie-like. While that it true among younger people, it's going the opposite way in terms of its new converts (college-educated whites aka the most privileged people in our society). The other is the increasing share of Latinos making states closer (Latinos nearly saved Trump, making Florida better for Trump and Arizona only got closer because of suburban whites). Both of those things were fundamentally wrong, and it was articulated sloppily, but the general idea behind the thread ended up being close to correct. In 2018, I saw Trump's approval rising and the Russiagate hysteria getting so out of control that I thought they didn't really have what it took to beat Trump at his core appeal, even though they went on to have a decent midterm cycle where they hammered healthcare.

Obviously, in 2018, I did not see a pandemic nor once in generational unrest in the streets leading up to one of the most important elections. Without those things happening, it's arguable that Trump would've won re-election, and maybe more easily than we think. Following the initial months of the pandemic up until the end of October, I predicted Biden winning over Trump, just more narrowly than others did. Only after I saw tightening polls and some of the same warning signs we saw in 2016 did I predict Trump squeaking out an electoral victory in late October. Instead, it was Biden who squeaked out the victory with <1% wins in three critical states. Oops, totally wrong and should be ashamed of myself.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2021, 08:24:07 PM »

Instead, it was Biden who squeaked out the victory with <1% wins in three critical states. Oops, totally wrong and should be ashamed of myself.

You shouldn't be ashamed of yourself for getting a call wrong. You should instead be ashamed of yourself for the fact that your self-chosen role on this forum is to roast the polling industry and Atlas liberals for their miscalibrated psephology, but then get hyperdefensive when given a taste of your own medicine and get called out on an incorrect prediction.

I am a defensive person in general, but if you interpret me to be hyperdefensive when I point out how wrong I was in some aspects of the post, then it's not worth arguing over.  Especially considering in this post I was shotgunning an election two years away, I am more than willing to call out my own predictions that turned out to be false. I will and do have opinions about why certain things are wrong though, and defensively go after those who are launching smears and character attacks for thinking differently. I will not cave or apologize to that mob mentality, especially when there are many, many posters who are far more aggressive and militant in their approach than I am (they just happen to all be of a certain ideology). Also, my 'role' here isn't meant to be a role and isn't set in stone. If others would like to join me in calling out groupthink that would be welcome Smiley
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2021, 09:01:11 PM »

Instead, it was Biden who squeaked out the victory with <1% wins in three critical states. Oops, totally wrong and should be ashamed of myself.

You shouldn't be ashamed of yourself for getting a call wrong. You should instead be ashamed of yourself for the fact that your self-chosen role on this forum is to roast the polling industry and Atlas liberals for their miscalibrated psephology, but then get hyperdefensive when given a taste of your own medicine and get called out on an incorrect prediction.

I am a defensive person in general, but if you interpret me to be hyperdefensive when I point out how wrong I was in some aspects of the post, then it's not worth arguing over.  Especially considering in this post I was shotgunning an election two years away, I am more than willing to call out my own predictions that turned out to be false. I will and do have opinions about why certain things are wrong though, and defensively go after those who are launching smears and character attacks for thinking differently. I will not cave or apologize to that mob mentality, especially when there are many, many posters who are far more aggressive and militant in their approach than I am (they just happen to all be of a certain ideology). Also, my 'role' here isn't meant to be a role and isn't set in stone. If others would like to join me in calling out groupthink that would be welcome Smiley

Except neither of those are at all what IBNU/Liberal Hack was doing with their initial reply, so by the logic of your own standard which you just set out here, your "defensively go[ing] after" their reply wasn't necessary, yet you chose to do so anyway & in an evidently "hyperdefensive" manner. So, y'know, maybe forgive us for thinking that you were quick to "get hyperdefensive when given a taste of your own medicine" when that's seemingly exactly what you did here in this thread.

Of course. I never said that all of my replies were going to be like that, but some of them will. So... your point here is moot.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies