New Charlottesville 'white civil rights rally' in DC (Unite the Right 2)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:04:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  New Charlottesville 'white civil rights rally' in DC (Unite the Right 2)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11
Author Topic: New Charlottesville 'white civil rights rally' in DC (Unite the Right 2)  (Read 14960 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2018, 12:04:13 AM »

Panda Express

« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2018, 12:32:25 AM »
« Edited: June 24, 2018, 10:26:47 PM by Vox Populi »

If that's the case, should I report Antifa membership to those folks' employers?  Should I report BLM membership to those folks' employers.  Should I hope THEY get fired?  How about the followers of the racist Louis Farrakhan?  Many of his followers are diligent workers with strong work ethics that are assets to their employers; should I move for them to get fired?  

*phone rings*

Fuzzy Bear: Hi, I'd like to file a complaint against one of your employees.

Applebees Manager: Oh my. What seems to be the problem.

Fuzzy Bear: Well... one of your employees follows the teachings of Louis Farrakhan! He should be FIRED immediately.

Applebees Manager: Louis who? Fork ham? Who the hell is that? Get the hell off my line weirdo.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2018, 12:46:33 AM »

These horrible deplorables and their economic anxiety...
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2018, 02:31:37 AM »

An American citizen requests a permit for him and his group to publicly assemble in Washington, DC.  Just exactly why is this newsworthy?  Folks regularly request such permits; why is this one such a big deal?

Don't bother.  I know why this one is SPECIAL.  The folks who hate Trump more than they hate this clown WANT him to protest.  They WANT counterdemonstrators to be there (that's why the word of this is being disseminated).  They HOPE for violence, because violence feeds into the "White Supremacist" narrative about Trump that they are vested in.  A violent incident will give the "Resistance" (including the Antifa and alt-left types) some sort of moral high ground.  And, of course, Antifa, BLM, and all the other groups of that type will just have to serve as "counterdemonstrators" so "their voices can be heard".  And, once again, the folks that will suffer the most will be folks who are not vested in the alt-right extremist movements, or the countering leftist fringe.  (Or, for that matter, "The Resistance" that eggs on the fringe.)  The folks who are vested in their families and their lives, but not in the histrionic drama of demonstrators and counterdemonstrators will pay for what goes wrong, and Trump will be pilloried as a racist/fascist/deliverer of wedgies to folks with diarrhea by the cackling news media and the commentariat.  

I know that the possibility that tragic events that occur when these alt-right-paloozas are well attended by Klansman and Antifa alike in a closed space, and I know the motivation being on TV gives to both the white supremacists and Antifa.  But is a tree falls in the forest and no one hears it, does it make a sound?  If the alt-right holds a demonstration and none of the media show up, does it make an impact?

The wise thing for a society to do is to NOT GIVE THESE FOLKS MEDIA ATTENTION.  Media attention exaggerates their numbers and their real influence.  Unfortunately, the media has the ability to raise the celebrity status of David Duke (for their own purposes), regardless of collateral damage that may cause.  I really do know I ask for too much, but perhaps the media can stop giving these events and these clowns attention.  That MIGHT actually prevent another Charlottesville.  On the other hand, the media WANTS another Charlottesville, and bigger.  (I don't think anyone really disagrees with me, regardless of what they post.)

I will be praying for God's protective hand on DC, and on America, particularly on that day.  I will pray that He will bring people to their senses to skip the foolishness, and to express their views in more coherent ways.  And I will pray for the Chicken Littles of the Resistance to stop screaming that the Sky is Falling.  We really aren't on the verge of an alt-right takeover any more than the Commies were coming over the Brooklyn Bridge in the 1950s.  The Fascists aren't in power, except in the minds of some Atlasians who view even Andrew Cuomo as a right winger.

Wow lol. Reading this panicked reaction, you could almost think you want to defend these people. Almost.

Also, I love the equalization of neo Nazis who want to kill Jews and Muslims to... Angry black people? Please.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2018, 06:14:31 AM »

An American citizen requests a permit for him and his group to publicly assemble in Washington, DC.  Just exactly why is this newsworthy?  Folks regularly request such permits; why is this one such a big deal?

Don't bother.  I know why this one is SPECIAL.  The folks who hate Trump more than they hate this clown WANT him to protest.  They WANT counterdemonstrators to be there (that's why the word of this is being disseminated).  They HOPE for violence, because violence feeds into the "White Supremacist" narrative about Trump that they are vested in.  A violent incident will give the "Resistance" (including the Antifa and alt-left types) some sort of moral high ground.  And, of course, Antifa, BLM, and all the other groups of that type will just have to serve as "counterdemonstrators" so "their voices can be heard".  And, once again, the folks that will suffer the most will be folks who are not vested in the alt-right extremist movements, or the countering leftist fringe.  (Or, for that matter, "The Resistance" that eggs on the fringe.)  The folks who are vested in their families and their lives, but not in the histrionic drama of demonstrators and counterdemonstrators will pay for what goes wrong, and Trump will be pilloried as a racist/fascist/deliverer of wedgies to folks with diarrhea by the cackling news media and the commentariat.  

I know that the possibility that tragic events that occur when these alt-right-paloozas are well attended by Klansman and Antifa alike in a closed space, and I know the motivation being on TV gives to both the white supremacists and Antifa.  But is a tree falls in the forest and no one hears it, does it make a sound?  If the alt-right holds a demonstration and none of the media show up, does it make an impact?

The wise thing for a society to do is to NOT GIVE THESE FOLKS MEDIA ATTENTION.  Media attention exaggerates their numbers and their real influence.  Unfortunately, the media has the ability to raise the celebrity status of David Duke (for their own purposes), regardless of collateral damage that may cause.  I really do know I ask for too much, but perhaps the media can stop giving these events and these clowns attention.  That MIGHT actually prevent another Charlottesville.  On the other hand, the media WANTS another Charlottesville, and bigger.  (I don't think anyone really disagrees with me, regardless of what they post.)

I will be praying for God's protective hand on DC, and on America, particularly on that day.  I will pray that He will bring people to their senses to skip the foolishness, and to express their views in more coherent ways.  And I will pray for the Chicken Littles of the Resistance to stop screaming that the Sky is Falling.  We really aren't on the verge of an alt-right takeover any more than the Commies were coming over the Brooklyn Bridge in the 1950s.  The Fascists aren't in power, except in the minds of some Atlasians who view even Andrew Cuomo as a right winger.

Wow lol. Reading this panicked reaction, you could almost think you want to defend these people. Almost.

Also, I love the equalization of neo Nazis who want to kill Jews and Muslims to... Angry black people? Please.

I don't wish to defend these people.  They do have rights to peaceably assemble, however awful they are.  I view ignoring these folks and not giving them the attention they want is making the best of that.

My sympathies in all of this demonstrating is with normal, decent people who want to live their lives free of turmoil, most of which is unnecessary.  I'd prefer that these folks march with the only cameras on them being the surveillance cameras of law enforcement if they insist on going through with this thing.  I view that as sensible, but I doubt sense will carry the day. 

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2018, 05:42:11 PM »

Are we really afraid of 200 Nazis?  Aren't there like, 3 million people in DC alone that would love to yell things at proud racists? and beat the snot out of them if sh**t goes sideways?  Let the bigots march, show 'em how many more non-bigots there are.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2018, 05:45:46 PM »

Are we really afraid of 200 Nazis?  Aren't there like, 3 million people in DC alone that would love to yell things at proud racists? and beat the snot out of them if sh**t goes sideways?  Let the bigots march, show 'em how many more non-bigots there are.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2018, 06:07:12 PM »

You don't let a snake-oil salesman sell poison as medicine.

You don't let someone put a pile of dog feces on the table at the potluck.

And you don't let someone falsely shout "FIRE!" in a crowded theater, because it untrue and because it's dangerous.

Why provide a prominent platform and a free publicly to people who would do away with platforms and forums for everyone but themselves?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2018, 06:16:35 PM »

There are way more non-Nazis living in Charlottesville than Nazis who showed up for their rally, but that didn't stop them from literally murdering one of the non-Nazis.

I sure wish the police or whoever had not allowed the rally in the first place, or else Antifa had shut it down before it started like in Berkeley.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2018, 06:21:01 PM »

Why provide a prominent platform and a free publicly to people who would do away with platforms and forums for everyone but themselves?
because it's the law, because it's a good idea to be reminded about bad ideas from time to time and because it lets us know who the assholes are.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2018, 07:35:26 PM »

Are we really afraid of 200 Nazis?  Aren't there like, 3 million people in DC alone that would love to yell things at proud racists? and beat the snot out of them if sh**t goes sideways?  Let the bigots march, show 'em how many more non-bigots there are.

And you don't let someone falsely shout "FIRE!" in a crowded theater, because it untrue and because it's dangerous.

Completely agree.
If your remember, the vast, vast majority of those interviewed after Charlottesville told the media they were normal, family-like people. Teachers, nurses, waitresses, retail workers, etc ... all of them there because they wanted to send these scum bags and their supporters a message that they were not wanted in their community, their city, their nation.

This is a powerful message that we must all hear, and the media did their jobs here (in Charlottesville) by showing the world what it was all about. So equally, the media should fulfill the same responsibility in DC (this upcoming event).
What doesn't help, is the powerful message our own president sends, by referring to the scum as "very fine people."
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2018, 07:59:59 PM »

The problem with banning racist speech is who gets to decide what is racist?

The people on this board think Donald Trump is racist. Would they deny franchise to half the voters in this country because they were being racist?

Probably.

That's why banning racist speech is dumb.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2018, 08:17:26 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2018, 08:23:39 PM by Punxsutawney Phil »

Are we really afraid of 200 Nazis?  Aren't there like, 3 million people in DC alone that would love to yell things at proud racists? and beat the snot out of them if sh**t goes sideways?  Let the bigots march, show 'em how many more non-bigots there are.

Either Nazis have 1st Amendment Rights, or none of us do.
These demented white supremacists are allowed to march in DC, but 1) they have no right to force us to like them, 2) they have no right to get violent, and 3) we have no obligation to listen to them or their arguments.
"The Jews will not replace us!" is not a violent statement in and of itself, unless one broadens the definition of "violent" so much as to render the phrase meaningless. It is an anti-Semitic statement though.
Non-violent racist speech is a thing. So is speech that is stupid, bigoted, and peaceful, all at the same time.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2018, 08:23:25 PM »

A new all-time low for FuzzyBear.
Now he is defending bigoted, white-nationalist Nazis.

If that's the case, should I report Antifa membership to those folks' employers?  Should I report BLM membership to those folks' employers.  Should I hope THEY get fired?  How about the followers of the racist Louis Farrakhan?  Many of his followers are diligent workers with strong work ethics that are assets to their employers; should I move for them to get fired? 

[/quote]

*phone rings*

Fuzzy Bear: Hi, I'd like to file a complaint against one of your employees.

Applebees Manager: Oh my. What seems to be the problem.

Fuzzy Bear: Well... one of your employees follows the teachings of Louis Farrakhan! He should be FIRED immediately.

Applebees Manager: Louis who? Fork ham? Who the hell is that? Get the hell off my line weirdo.
[/quote]

I would not do such a thing.  

I would also hope that a manager would not, willy-nilly, fire someone because someone called him and said he was a Nazi, alt-right scumbag, etc., unless they are engaging in CONDUCT that is illegal, threatening, or creating a hostile work environment.  Reprehensible people have rights in employment, speech, and assembly; it is becaush THEY do that the rest of us do.

That being said:  If a person is a Nazi, alt-rightist, etc, and he/she is putting it on display for all to see, they are going to bring negativity on themselves.  They are, indeed, provoking people to wrath, and while some of the more extreme reactions to this aren't the right thing to so, when you provoke people to wrath as some of these folks do, bad things happen.  I really believe that the immediate solution is for the media and the rest of the world to put all of this on ingnore, given that these alt-righters seem bound and determined to go through with this.  It does seem, however, that all parties here are going to be governed by their Id and not by their Superego (let alone anything God might have to say on the issue).  I suppose that this is the law of sowing and reaping.  It is God's Mercy, alone, that provides grace from that.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2018, 08:38:17 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLi0Fxfqtdk
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2018, 11:40:04 PM »

because it's the law, because it's a good idea to be reminded about bad ideas from time to time and because it lets us know who the assholes are.

I say that almost every time I think about calling for someone's Banning here.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2018, 03:34:03 AM »

Yeah, it's not like one of them will ever become a major party congressional nominee.

Oh, wait...
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2018, 03:26:42 PM »

**UPDATE**

It seems that the white-supremacist rally will be a go, this coming weekend Aug 11/12.
It is referred to as the "Unite the Right 2" rally, by the scum who are planning it.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2018, 03:27:21 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2018, 03:30:39 PM »

Why did they pick a County that gave Trump only 4% of the vote in 2016. Literally his lowest in the entire nation.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #70 on: August 06, 2018, 03:31:37 PM »

Here's to hoping both the Nazis and the people out there counter protesting can get their act together and not escalate things.  
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #71 on: August 06, 2018, 03:35:57 PM »
« Edited: August 06, 2018, 03:38:59 PM by ProudModerate2 »

Why did they pick a County that gave Trump only 4% of the vote in 2016. Literally his lowest in the entire nation.

I guess the Nazis wanted to be close to their Fuhrer.
The park/area they will be gathering at (Lafayette Square), will be right across the street from the White House.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #72 on: August 06, 2018, 03:37:41 PM »

How is this much different from a Trump campaign rally?
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #73 on: August 06, 2018, 03:47:20 PM »

Here's to hoping both the Nazis and the people out there counter protesting can get their act together and not escalate things.  

When has there ever been a time where "Nazis not escalate things?" (Either in the early 1940's or today?)
They're Nazis!
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #74 on: August 06, 2018, 03:57:50 PM »

They probably should've thought through the size of their venue. 400 people isn't going to even fill a small corner of Lafayette Park.

Luckily for them, the counterprotesters will have that covered for them.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies