What would have been a adequate tax penalty for ACA?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 01:03:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  What would have been a adequate tax penalty for ACA?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What would have been a adequate tax penalty for ACA?  (Read 1654 times)
Republican Left
Left Wing Republican
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 22, 2018, 10:33:37 PM »

One of the arguments about ACA's "failures" was the fact that many opted to pay the penalty rather than purchase health insurance they deemed too expensive or pricey. Do you believe if the tax penalty was higher, perhaps structured through withholding or garnishing wages that the law's implementation could've been more successful? If so, what would have been an adequate rate? 10%? 15%? 20%?

On a separate but interconnected note, do you believe legislatively reviving and appropriately the
cost sharing reductions would salvage the insurance exchanges? In fact, do you believe if the exchanges with flooding with CSR funding, the exchanges could've been quite successful in providing low-cost, quality coverage for those participating the individual insurance market?

You're also welcome to discuss any other thoughts you had on ACA.
Republican Left
Left Wing Republican
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 11:02:13 AM »

Do you believe expanding programs like CHIP as either a vehicle to expand Medicaid or at the very least offer low-cost insurance (but high-quality coverage) for your moderate-income and lower-middle income families and households work as a possible solution or alternative?

As another alternative, could reviving cost-sharing reductions and flooding CSR funding help salvage the health care exchanges as a viable market for individual insurance?

In respect to the individual mandate, I understand this would be the calamity of many households but why couldn't the IRS just mandate increased wage withholding/garnishment such as one-tenth or one-eight of paychecks for those without plans? Wouldn't that be able to ensure an incentive to purchase at the very least catastrophic plans as well as pooling funds to provide safety-net coverage just in case. I'm not very knowledgeable about health care policy but I understand the basic idea was to ensure everyone paying into the system which could help reduce cost pressures while also accomplishing a universal or near-universal (>95%) coverage.
Republican Left
Left Wing Republican
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 11:38:22 AM »
« Edited: June 28, 2018, 11:42:44 AM by Republican Left »

Thank you for the responsiveness, I know we're honestly probably not going to agree on policies and priorities but I do appreciate being able to discuss ideas and policy. If you don't mind me asking, what would be Averroës's approach to health care reform, particularly for the working class who always seem to fall victim to the "middle class squeeze"?
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 04:45:30 AM »

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies