Is ILLEGAL Immigration a PROBLEM? Or is ILLEGAL Immigration OK With You?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:46:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is ILLEGAL Immigration a PROBLEM? Or is ILLEGAL Immigration OK With You?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Poll
Question: Do you believe that Illegal Immigration is a problem that needs to be reduced?
Yes, it's a major problem

Yes, but it's only a minor problem

Unsure

No; it's something we can live with

No; I'm totally OK with people coming here legally or illegally

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 174

Author Topic: Is ILLEGAL Immigration a PROBLEM? Or is ILLEGAL Immigration OK With You?  (Read 6611 times)
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2018, 02:45:04 AM »

Obviously its an issue. Further restricting immigration and putting immigrants in concentration camps is not the way to deal with it, though. It fixes nothing, is immoral, and costs way too much money.

Taking in millions of poor Latin Americans, giving them welfare, and giving welfare to all their descendants until the end of time, that doesn't cost a lot of money?
I know delusion is fun for you to live in, but illegal immigrants aren't criminals or welfare queens. You're just racist as hell.

Illegal immigrants are mostly welfare queens. Obviously not every single one but most. They come here because we have welfare programs that their own countries do not. They are welfare migrants.

LOL, you do realize America's welfare system is actually terrible, right? They come because it has a strong economy and good opportunities, but more importantly, a good security that will keep them and their children safe, unlike in their home countries.

1) America has the reputation of having a bad welfare system because our welfare system is means tested, not universal. That means rich and middle class Americans pay taxes to fund the benefits but never get to use them themselves. That's bad for rich and middle class Americans. If you're poor though, as most people from Central America are, the welfare system is just fine.

2) Regardless of the weaknesses of its welfare system, America still offers more welfare than Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, and Mexico and that's why people come here from those countries.
The Materialist
Rookie
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2018, 02:47:44 AM »

Because, as we all know, Latin American immigration to the United States didn't exist before the New Deal.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2018, 03:02:11 AM »

Because, as we all know, Latin American immigration to the United States didn't exist before the New Deal.

There was always Mexican immigration but not as much.

The Materialist
Rookie
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2018, 03:03:20 AM »

There was always Mexican immigration but not as much.

It truly astonishes me that the number of Mexican immigrants to the United States has grown alongside the Mexican general population, or that it's spiked along with domestic turbulence in Mexico. I can think of no reason for this at all.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2018, 03:05:46 AM »

Y'all need to just admit you want a white country with little to no brown people.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2018, 03:12:25 AM »

I'm much more worried about the THREAT posed to our nation by Nazi-like FASCISTS who call themselves 'Republicans' than I am by the human beings who desperately want to live and work here.
mgop
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2018, 04:40:39 AM »

Y'all need to just admit you want a white country with little to no brown people.

you are immigrant
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2018, 05:26:22 AM »

It's a massive problem.

The Mexican border is sn issue of itself.

But more importantly, the US immigration policy is not working.

Trump is trying to fix it at least. If he succeeds, it will be hard to go back to what you have now.

If you keep trying to be nice and pay attention to every CNN cover story, you will get nowhere.

Someone has to get their plums out and attempt to fix it.

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2018, 05:35:56 AM »

It's a problem, but there are far greater problems (crumbling infrastructure, income and wealth inequality, budget deficit, weakened position on the world stage, gerrymandering etc.). The issue should be tackled by a reform of the immigration system and additional border security were necessary (no, a wall like Trump wants is no real solution).
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2018, 07:13:06 AM »

Obviously its an issue. Further restricting immigration and putting immigrants in concentration camps is not the way to deal with it, though. It fixes nothing, is immoral, and costs way too much money.

Just exactly why is this true, and not just a mere assertion to drive a narrative?

I listened to a segment of an NPR broadcast which interviewed a Salvadoran who had been returned to El Salvador.  He stated that the current policy was such that (A) he would not attempt to cross the border again (he had done it more than once), and (B) if he did, he would not bring children with him again.  I recognize this is an anecdote, but it's a significant one. 

Is there not a need to create disincentives to discourage illegal entry into our country?  That's a legitimate question that deserves an answer.  If so, what would an EFFECTIVE disincentive be?

Is it moral to treat folks who come here illegally (that are, in no way, legitimate asylum seekers) with the same welcoming that we treat those who came here legally and respected our laws?  That's a question that deserves an answer, and while there can be endless "whataboutisms" used to respond, there is a bottom line to that question. 

Why is enforcement cheaper than the expenses incurred in illegal aliens being in the US?

These aren't mysteries.  These are questions to which specific answers can be provided. 
Panda Express

« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2018, 07:25:18 AM »

Just exactly why is this true, and not just a mere assertion to drive a narrative?

Are you.. are you asking why intentionally separating children from their parents and putting them in camps is immoral? Is this not obvious?

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2018, 07:27:17 AM »

Yes, it is a problem in that it should be made legal.
Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2018, 09:01:00 AM »

I listened to a segment of an NPR broadcast which interviewed a Salvadoran who had been returned to El Salvador.  He stated that the current policy was such that (A) he would not attempt to cross the border again (he had done it more than once), and (B) if he did, he would not bring children with him again.  I recognize this is an anecdote, but it's a significant one. 

Is there not a need to create disincentives to discourage illegal entry into our country?  That's a legitimate question that deserves an answer.  If so, what would an EFFECTIVE disincentive be?

Is it moral to treat folks who come here illegally (that are, in no way, legitimate asylum seekers) with the same welcoming that we treat those who came here legally and respected our laws?  That's a question that deserves an answer, and while there can be endless "whataboutisms" used to respond, there is a bottom line to that question. 

Why is enforcement cheaper than the expenses incurred in illegal aliens being in the US?

These aren't mysteries.  These are questions to which specific answers can be provided. 

Your response to "These people are fleeing terrible conditions and seeking asylum" is "I don't want brown people, make the US worse than the terrible place they came from so they don't come here."
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2018, 09:04:41 AM »

It’s low on my priority list. If they’re caught at the border, send them back, if they make it, I don’t really care. There are significantly worse problems facing this country.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2018, 09:09:09 AM »

It’s low on my priority list. If they’re caught at the border, send them back, if they make it, I don’t really care. There are significantly worse problems facing this country.

Are you.. are you asking why intentionally separating children from their parents and putting them in camps is immoral? Is this not obvious?

At certain point you have to start questioning whether certain people are non compos mentis.

I mean, just think of the reality of having to be constantly preached to and ordered around by people with serious mental and emotional disabilities.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2018, 09:09:57 AM »

Criminal (violent) illegal immigrants are a problem, that's it.  And it's about #40 on the list of problems in America right now.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2018, 09:22:47 AM »

This is one of the most morally bankrupt posts you've ever made. Very unfourtunate.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2018, 09:35:37 AM »

WHAT is with the RANDOM CAPITALIZATION?
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2018, 09:41:27 AM »

Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2018, 09:49:54 AM »

Mostly this. Also, I consider making it easier for people to legally immigrate to be at least as high a priority, if not higher.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2018, 09:54:53 AM »

This whole "My grandpa and grandma came here from Germany/Italy/Ireland/Spain/Sweden/etc. LEGALLY!" trope is one of the biggest right-wing myths ever trotted out.

OF COURSE your great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandpa came here "legally."  THERE WAS NO IMMIGRATION LAW IN 18-whatever AS WE KNOW IT TODAY.  You didn't have thousands upon thousands upon thousands of statutes and regulations covering immigration law that rival only the US Tax Code in scope, complexity, and difficulty. 

All you really needed was to prove that you weren't carrying any dreadful diseases and that you weren't a criminal or tied to any current foreign enemy, and you were good as gold to come in.

So, the whole "legal vs. illegal" thing needs to stop.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2018, 10:50:25 AM »

Criminal (violent) illegal immigrants are a problem, that's it.  And it's about #40 on the list of problems in America right now.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2018, 11:35:50 AM »

Really don't understand the mentality of liberals who say it's a problem but not a big one. Seems like the ultimate moderate heroism.

If you're one of these people, why exactly do you think illegal immigration is a problem at all?

You seem to acknowledge in the abstract that it's not ideal but you can't name any concrete drawbacks and don't actually mind if people do it anyway.

Are you just dishonest open borders supporters?
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2018, 11:40:39 AM »

Like I don't know why the position of "try to stop them at the border but if they get in, let them stay" is so popular. I understand that it was the status quo under Obama but logically it really makes no sense at all.

If you think immigration is an unqualified good and that there's no drawback to letting large numbers of needy people come here (which seems to be the position of almost everyone here who's not a Trump supporter) why not just abolish all border security?
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2018, 11:46:44 AM »

This whole "My grandpa and grandma came here from Germany/Italy/Ireland/Spain/Sweden/etc. LEGALLY!" trope is one of the biggest right-wing myths ever trotted out.

OF COURSE your great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandpa came here "legally."  THERE WAS NO IMMIGRATION LAW IN 18-whatever AS WE KNOW IT TODAY.  You didn't have thousands upon thousands upon thousands of statutes and regulations covering immigration law that rival only the US Tax Code in scope, complexity, and difficulty. 

All you really needed was to prove that you weren't carrying any dreadful diseases and that you weren't a criminal or tied to any current foreign enemy, and you were good as gold to come in.

So, the whole "legal vs. illegal" thing needs to stop.

We had no standards in the past so now we are bound to have no standards forever?

Why are we bound to have the same immigration law we had in 1900 as opposed to the immigration law we had in 1950?

Why are we bound to have the same immigration law we had in 1900 but not the same laws regarding racial segregation we had in 1950?

"We did this in the past so we have to do it this way now" is a dumb argument.

I agree with you about the distinction between illegal and legal immigration needs to go.

We're full. We shouldn't allow either.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies