If Hillary picked Sanders as running mate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:27:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  If Hillary picked Sanders as running mate?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Hillary picked Sanders as running mate?  (Read 1864 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 24, 2018, 05:07:57 AM »

What if Hillary picked Bernard for the VP spot? Does he help in the general election, or do she lose moderates in the same numbers she gains progressives? Would Sanders have taken the offer? I think he would have because he wanted to prevent from being elected. Although I liked the selection of Tim Kaine, who is absolutely qualified for the job, I think it may have been a mistake for the election strategy.
uti2

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 06:10:23 AM »

She would've won with a Sanders or Webb VP, yes. Sanders would've unified the Dem base, while Webb would've been able to help Hillary peel off some Republicans.

It would be like if Ford had picked Reagan or Rockefeller to be his VP, he also would've won. Reagan would've unified the GOP base, while Rockefeller would've been able to help Ford peel off some Democrats.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 12:18:47 PM »

Sanders does not strike me as someone who has the capacity to play second fiddle.

Though if he could learn to be cooperative, my theory is that Hillary’s popular vote total would have gone down, though she might have increased support in the places she needed to win. Pennsylvania would be tricky.
uti2

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 03:42:08 PM »

Sanders does not strike me as someone who has the capacity to play second fiddle.

Though if he could learn to be cooperative, my theory is that Hillary’s popular vote total would have gone down, though she might have increased support in the places she needed to win. Pennsylvania would be tricky.

Sanders assumed that he'd be lucky to win 25% of the vote when he first ran, his expectations were so low he absolutely would've taken a position as big as VP if offered to him.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 06:55:53 PM »

I'm honestly not sure. He could be a bit of a loose cannon when it comes to staying on Clinton's message and his baggage would come to the forefront and potentially alienate some voters. I also doubt that he would be able to save Clinton from Comey reopening the investigation. However, his loyal supporters probably turn out stronger for her and she finds herself having access to his fundraising operation. It's tough to say.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 02:00:01 PM »

There's more upside risk than downside risk to it, but saying that with hindsight is almost meaningless.

Kaine seemed like a decent pick at the time. Believe it or not, the VP debate was what solidified my vote for HRC: I was never more angry about politics than I was after listening to the talking heads critique Kaine for treating Mike Pence "aggressively" rather than rolling over as Pence told lie after lie.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 02:17:17 PM »

Tough one.

One one hand, it was arguably Kaine that even put Arizona, Florida, and even for a time NC and Texas in play. He probably put Nevada and Virginia out of play as well.

Sanders going off-script and causing confusion, might've caused Trump to win Nevada, floor Florida, and even allow Trump to cause of Wisconsin-effect in Virginia. The Midwest doesn't matter if The Sun Belt isn't a fallback and both Nevada and Virginia fall.

On the other hand, Kaine was no help in the Midwest, didn't quite flip Arizona or hold Florida and if Sanders really hammered in the main points, Hillary might well have taken in a majority of the vote, and the whole Comey re-opening might well have been rendered moot.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 02:26:38 PM »

I just don't see this happening, but Ill try to imagine the scenario. Some people would be turned off by this due to health reasons. There was a small fear that Hillary was not physically or mentally sound to run the country, and having an old man as the VP would deepen these fears. Others would probably see this as a Unity ticket and would be very happy to vote for it. This ticket would probably win, since the Rustbelt would be close, but not close enough for Trump to win.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 06:20:56 PM »

I just don't see this happening, but Ill try to imagine the scenario. Some people would be turned off by this due to health reasons. There was a small fear that Hillary was not physically or mentally sound to run the country, and having an old man as the VP would deepen these fears. Others would probably see this as a Unity ticket and would be very happy to vote for it. This ticket would probably win, since the Rustbelt would be close, but not close enough for Trump to win.

I completely forgot about the Clinton health paranoia. That would be an absolute negative. I just think of people like my dad seeing Clinton's heir being older than her and voting the other way for Trump like my dad who eventually came around to voting for Trump after being 50-50 for most of the campaign. After Clinton's pneumonia episode he said that "we don't need a President with an expiration date," even as he voted for the older, overweight candidate that eats nothing but fried foods.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 10:17:09 PM »

Sanders would probably have been a good pick as the base may be more energized and supportive with him on the ticket, and he could appeal more to WWC voters as well. Idk how the VP debate would go but at worst it'd be the same as IRL and at best it'd be a Bernie win. Sanders may go off-message but he's not liked for being on-message and I doubt that'd be a major problem-it's still Hillary vs Trump after all. Given the closeness of the race I wouldn't be surprised if she narrowly wins.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2018, 11:34:16 PM »

They would have absolutely won.
Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2018, 01:31:30 PM »

Sanders was a very controversial person, and he would not do very well in debating or playing second fiddle. Hillary's health scare would receive much more attention, and she probably loses the popular vote.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2018, 06:57:13 PM »

She would have won, but she was always going to pick some fellow 3rd wayer who wouldn't outshine her.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2018, 06:36:53 PM »

She would have won, but she was always going to pick some fellow 3rd wayer who wouldn't outshine her.

To be fair, I don't think any presidential candidate should be outshined by their running mate.
Thunder98
United States

P P P
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2018, 07:05:41 PM »

Maybe Clinton should've picked Senator Jeff Merkley.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2018, 10:31:57 PM »

I think what Trump did by picking Pence was to combat one of his greatest weaknesses with getting, which was that he was unprepared and inexperienced.

But with Clinton, perhaps one of her greatest weaknesses was that she was too establishment and not leftist enough, so I feel that Sanders or possibly Warren could have combated this.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2018, 11:02:12 AM »

It's worth remembering (and no doubt someone will do some rapid rebuttal) just how bratty the Democratic Primary became in the last couple of months- Sanders saying HRC was unfit to be commander in chief, refusing to drop out after California, the actions of delegates at the Conference, and the general, and obvious dislike between Sanders and Clinton.

I'm sure there's a world where VP Sanders convinced enough Stein/Johnson/Stay at home voters in PA/WI/MI to come and vote for Clinton, but that was never a problem in June 2016 was it?

It's certainly interesting that recent VPs have generally became much closer, and on friendlier terms with their Presidents. The days of FDR-Garner type fueds, where the VP selection was often a rushed unity selection, where the VP essentially does nothing are over. A Clinton-Sanders Presidency certainly would have fallen back in that category.

For that reason I have no qualms about Hillary not picking Bernie; she wanted someone she could work with four years or so.
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2018, 12:47:37 PM »

It would be quite the dysfunctional ticket, given Sanders's and Clinton's loves for the spotlight. I don't think it would change much except maybe flip Nevada, while increasing Trump's win margin in Florida.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies