FOLKS
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:25:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  FOLKS
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: How has your opinion changed on the word 'folks' in the past few days?
Up

Down

Remains the same

Unsure

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: FOLKS  (Read 1265 times)
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 24, 2018, 11:11:55 PM »

When you provoke people to wrath as some of these folks do, bad things happen.

They thought the law was wrong, and were not short on folks affirming their position.

We DON'T have the resources to take in scores of limitless poor folks with low work skills.

I view ignoring these folks and not giving them the attention they want is making the best of that.

I'd prefer that these folks march with the only cameras on them being the surveillance cameras of law enforcement.

That isn't the issue with many folks, however.

I capitalized the word "ILLEGAL" to ask people what should be done, given the fact that these folks are breaking the law to come in here.

There are many folks who advocate just letting everyone in.

If folks' main goal is to have totally open borders, with no immigration restrictions, or something that pushes the US significantly in that direction from what we have now, then I would at least appreciate them being honest about their real goals.

Is it moral to treat folks who come here illegally with the same welcoming that we treat those who came here legally and respected our laws?

Here's folks' chance to prove me wrong.

"Send 'em back quick!"  I have no problem with that for folks who illegally enter the US.

Is ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION a problem?  That's a question that a lot of folks need to go on record about, one way or the other.  

Folks regularly request such permits; why is this one such a big deal?

The folks who hate Trump more than they hate this clown WANT him to protest.

And, once again, the folks that will suffer the most will be folks who are not vested in the alt-right extremist movements.

The folks who are vested in their families and their lives, but not in the histrionic drama of demonstrators and counterdemonstrators will pay for what goes wrong, and Trump will be pilloried as a racist/fascist/deliverer of wedgies to folks with diarrhea by the cackling news media and the commentariat.

The wise thing for a society to do is to NOT GIVE THESE FOLKS MEDIA ATTENTION.

So, how do my fellow forumites feel about this word nowadays? Have the ramblings of an increasingly deranged old man made it more or less charming? Interested in seeing the results.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 12:01:30 AM »

I honestly didn't notice it, not only because I don't always read his posts but since he's an effort poster like myself, it's easy to miss the little things like this.

All this does is remind me how much of a "show word" the word folks is, and what I mean by that is that it rarely seems to come naturally and is more of a word for stump speeches and such. I don't think I've ever just typed that word seamlessly without thinking about it. I always have to consciously add it and thus it seems forced.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 12:23:22 AM »

Nope.
WritOfCertiorari

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 12:27:21 AM »

I really don’t see how it’s any different than saying “people”, but of course the forum needs something else to obsess over.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 08:15:04 AM »

he should start using "FLOCKA" instead of folks that would be a real game changer
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 08:48:30 AM »

I really don’t see how it’s any different than saying “people”, but of course the forum needs something else to obsess over.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 09:38:07 AM »

I like to say "folks," and I usually respect Fuzzy Bear well enough.  However, his use of the term often carries a somewhat smug implication that *folks* like him are significantly more down to Earth or grounded or whatever than people who don't share his cultural views.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 11:05:33 AM »

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 11:26:51 AM »

Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 11:27:46 AM »

courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2018, 12:06:39 PM »

i hate it
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2018, 12:15:10 PM »

My opinion stays the same, but that is because "folks" is just as stupid and awful after as it was before.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2018, 12:58:48 PM »

I remember Nathan pointed out its weird ubiquitous nature in Social Justice circles as well. It's a very bizarre trend that puts me in mind of snake oil salesmen more than anything else.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2018, 01:06:48 PM »

Where is Nathan these days anyway? I miss his posts.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2018, 02:21:57 PM »

It has always been common in rural Minnesota vernacular, but generally is used to refer to someone's parents (She's up at her folks' cabin for the weekend so the kids can go swimming) but I imagine that usage is dying out.

I also avoid the term as of late.  I've always just preferred people.  You people if I want to aggravate someone.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2018, 02:50:38 PM »

Nope, I barely care.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2018, 04:01:30 PM »

DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2018, 04:58:10 PM »

Joe barely cares.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2018, 06:47:46 PM »

Part of the reason Fuzzy Bear is such an awful poster
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2018, 07:30:02 PM »

This thread makes me tempted to change my screen name to "Folks."  The list of politically incorrect words or some neighborhood adjacent is just getting too long my aged mind with which to cope. Thus I am tempted to do such a fart in the wind in a futile attempt to slow down the metastasizing.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2018, 07:40:38 PM »

I remember Nathan pointed out its weird ubiquitous nature in Social Justice circles as well. It's a very bizarre trend that puts me in mind of snake oil salesmen more than anything else.
seems to have taken root sometime after 2005
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2018, 07:43:21 PM »

This thread makes me tempted to change my screen name to "Folks."  The list of politically incorrect words or some neighborhood adjacent is just getting too long my aged mind with which to cope. Thus I am tempted to do such a fart in the wind in a futile attempt to slow down the metastasizing.

On the contrary, sir. I’m not particularly bothered by the connotations of the word, though what RINO Tom said is perfectly valid and basically true.

What’s more annoying is how some use it as a replacement for ‘people’ every time, if not used even more than that when forced in. It’s just not normal, and I roll my eyes every time I see it on here now. It reeks of disingenuous colloquialism, especially if it’s used hundreds upon hundreds of times. President Obama was also relatively guilty of this.

Anyway glad to have started a meaningful dialogue on what kind of language is acceptable in our country.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2018, 06:53:22 AM »

On the contrary, sir. I’m not particularly bothered by the connotations of the word, though what RINO Tom said is perfectly valid and basically true.

What’s more annoying is how some use it as a replacement for ‘people’ every time, if not used even more than that when forced in. It’s just not normal, and I roll my eyes every time I see it on here now. It reeks of disingenuous colloquialism, especially if it’s used hundreds upon hundreds of times. President Obama was also relatively guilty of this.

Anyway glad to have started a meaningful dialogue on what kind of language is acceptable in our country.

I think you are discounting the effect of regional differences in word usage. My family in the rural Midwest would rarely have said people, but often said folks. It could be "your folks" as in your parents, "the neighbor folks" as in the people down the street, or "those crazy folks" as in the driver of the car from Wisconsin in your small Iowa town who didn't know where to stop for the sign that was knocked over two years ago and not replaced.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2018, 10:46:15 PM »

RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2018, 10:50:01 PM »

I don't really care one way or the other, so unchanged I guess.

That's all, folks!
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies