Why are "socially liberal but fiscally moderate/conservative" people so hated?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:48:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Why are "socially liberal but fiscally moderate/conservative" people so hated?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Why are "socially liberal but fiscally moderate/conservative" people so hated?  (Read 3732 times)
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2018, 09:40:19 PM »
« edited: July 05, 2018, 09:46:44 PM by HillGoose »

Because the ideology generally doesn't care much for the collective, greater good, seeking individuality as if man is only an island.

Why should I care for the greater good when it never cared about me and never would?

That's why I don't feel badly about advocating against "the greater good" because ever since I was a child I've been the first person everyone wants to sacrifice for "the greater good" and I'll be damned if I'm going to let people think I'm willing to sacrifice for them when they never have or ever would for me. I'm not going to suffer for their irresponsible decisions when they've never even treated me with basic human respect and dignity.

I'd sooner see the world go down in flames (and myself along with it) than sacrifice myself for those who don't care about me and never did.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2018, 11:35:57 AM »

The meaning of social liberalism has changed. It used to mean you were for civil rights and were secular and sexually liberated and were for women's rights and were pro-choice. Now it means you get offended at minor things, engage in online bullying of anyone who doesn't toe the line, virtue signal, and make race-baiting your bread and butter.

That sounds more like modern social conservatism TBH.

Both sides do it.
Ohioguy29

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2018, 12:06:25 PM »

Because the ideology generally doesn't care much for the collective, greater good, seeking individuality as if man is only an island.

HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2018, 02:10:15 PM »

Why have people started associating social liberalism with being against "the greater good?"

I fail to see how legalized same sex marriage and allowing minorities and women equal rights is some sort of attack on "the greater good."
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2018, 03:18:02 PM »

Because minorities, gay people and women are disproportionately far more likely to be economically and socially marginalised and vulnerable, and econonomically right-wing policies hurt them, the majority of them that is, often more than socially liberal policies help them.

For instance, obviously gay marriage and the equal representation of women in  executive positions are laudable goals. But, if you are combining this with, say, austerity politics that disproportionately hurt women and gay people and minorities, as these peope are most likely to rely on the welfare state, worker protections and the like; then you are actually making most of the people you claim to care about worse off.

Ultimately, being on the board of directors of Nike is not something that will ever affect the majority of people, whereas making the schools worse, the jobs more precarious and worse paid, cutting social protections, will hurt people, and badly
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2018, 07:33:17 PM »

Why have people started associating social liberalism with being against "the greater good?"

I fail to see how legalized same sex marriage and allowing minorities and women equal rights is some sort of attack on "the greater good."

It's the "fiscally conservative" part.
Izzyeviel
United Kingdom

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2018, 07:49:52 PM »

Republicans hate them because they refuse to kiss the God Emperor's ass in public, Democrats hate them because they criticise the God Emperor and then do whatever he wants anyway.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2018, 09:37:09 PM »
« Edited: July 07, 2018, 06:43:52 AM by Cath »

Republicans hate them because they refuse to kiss the God Emperor's ass in public, Democrats hate them because they criticise the God Emperor and then do whatever he wants anyway.

A substantial component of anti-Trump angst came from social conservatives. Trump’s primary victory was built on “moderates”.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2018, 03:42:53 AM »

The easiest answer is that it is the ideology of the establishment and those in control. That means that whenever it falls short or doesn't deliver the goods on a particular issue, it gets all the heat and all the blame.

HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2018, 10:29:38 AM »

A substantial component of anti-Trump angst came from social conservatives. Trump’s primary victory was built on “moderates”.

Yeah Trump's primary victory was built on idiots who don't think abortion is evil but think gay marriage is.

In other words, pretty much "white trash."

To me, social liberalism means the government not getting involved in people's personal lives. I think abortion is wrong but I don't support overturning Roe v Wade because I don't think the government should have the power to do so.

I do think that society should do everything possible to discourage abortion and ostracize those who think it's acceptable, but just because it's evil in my mind.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2018, 03:43:55 PM »

It is my view that the collective good is best accomplished through carefully designed incentives and markets than trying to get everyone to find solidarity or whatever.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2018, 01:55:00 PM »

It is my view that the collective good is best accomplished through carefully designed incentives and markets than trying to get everyone to find solidarity or whatever.

agreed. F!ck solidarity, no one wants to help me under any circumstances so they don't deserve my help.

I should NOT be expected to help anyone who wouldn't do the same for me.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2018, 02:25:38 PM »

Hillgoose obviously is a troll, don't feed him. But I also get triggered by terms like 'the greater good' or 'social cohesion'. Sure, when used properly they're great things. But too often has 'the greater good' been used to f**k people without any reason while social cohesion often meant that ruling social norms were strictly enforced. The animosity of the city has bad sides, but it also was a safe haven for people who didn't fit the social norms in rural areas where everybody knew each other.

(inb4 Cath says something about 'ye woke neoliberal')
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2018, 04:05:32 PM »

Because they think they are the only "reasonable" ones.  It's also a worldview much more common among elites than the general population, so they're obviously targets for anti-establishnent sentiment.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2018, 08:13:04 PM »

Hillgoose obviously is a troll, don't feed him. But I also get triggered by terms like 'the greater good' or 'social cohesion'. Sure, when used properly they're great things. But too often has 'the greater good' been used to f**k people without any reason while social cohesion often meant that ruling social norms were strictly enforced. The animosity of the city has bad sides, but it also was a safe haven for people who didn't fit the social norms in rural areas where everybody knew each other.

i'm not trolling.

i'm honestly wondering why everyone expects me to sacrifice my own interests to help people who never treated me with basic human respect and never would?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2018, 08:43:51 PM »

i'm not trolling.

i'm honestly wondering why everyone expects me to sacrifice my own interests to help people who never treated me with basic human respect and never would?

Why do you desire to use taxpayer money to fund your wars?
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2018, 08:46:44 PM »
« Edited: July 08, 2018, 08:50:12 PM by HillGoose »

i'm not trolling.

The people in those nations need freedom like I have. The freedom to tell the losers I know that they can go rot on the street because of their irresponsible decisions, because I'm not letting them stay in my house.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2018, 08:50:03 PM »

i'm not trolling.

The people in those nations need freedom like I have. The freedom to tell the losers I know that they can go rot on the street because of their irresponsible decisions, because I'm not letting them stay in my house.

So you have chosen a set of values (or vice versa?) and seek public policy—and dollars—to put those values in action. Pretty common in a democracy. Some choose tradition, others equality.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2018, 08:53:04 PM »

i'm not trolling.

So you have chosen a set of values (or vice versa?) and seek public policy—and dollars—to put those values in action. Pretty common in a democracy. Some choose tradition, others equality.

What are you trying to say?

I honestly want a good explanation as to why I should be forced to help people who never treated me with basic human respect and never will. That's what I'm looking for. The morality behind why I'm wrong for not letting people walk all over me.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2018, 12:39:35 AM »

i'm not trolling.

I honestly want a good explanation as to why I should be forced to help people who never treated me with basic human respect and never will. That's what I'm looking for. The morality behind why I'm wrong for not letting people walk all over me.

Taxes aren't letting people "walk over you" no matter how much greedy pigs scream otherwise.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2018, 01:06:09 AM »

i'm not trolling.

So you afford people in nations you've never been to freedoms you won't allow those domestically the same liberty?

HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2018, 10:10:21 AM »

i'm not trolling.

Taxes aren't letting people "walk over you" no matter how much greedy pigs scream otherwise.

I agree, what I mean is this sense of "national community" people seem to want. F!ck community it never did anything for me, it abandoned me so I shouldn't have to support it.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2018, 10:29:25 AM »

DON'T *clap* FEED *clap* THE *clap* TROLL *clap*
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2018, 10:32:08 AM »

You’re the one that mentioned me.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2018, 11:28:58 AM »

You’re the one that mentioned me.

pretty sure he was referring to me but i swear im not trolling.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies