Vice:#PermitPatty Is an Opportunity for White People to Examine Their Privilege
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:28:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Vice:#PermitPatty Is an Opportunity for White People to Examine Their Privilege
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Vice:#PermitPatty Is an Opportunity for White People to Examine Their Privilege  (Read 2282 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 25, 2018, 09:18:40 PM »

link-Vice
You must be logged in to read this quote.
people...especially, white people and doubly especially white women of a certain class/type are way too quick to call in the authorities.  It's interesting that they miss another big problem here, that there are thousands of tiny, stupid laws that put cops and poor people at each others throats hundreds of thousands of times a day.  You don't think cops should choke out somebody selling single cigarettes?  Don't make that illegal.  You don't want cops hassling little kids selling bottled water?  Don't make it illegal to sell bottled water.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 08:09:53 AM »

This is an important point:

For all the talk about a biased justice system when it comes to serious crimes, it seems like powerful impose themselves on the week even more when it comes to relatively petty laws.

A shooting will at least get treated semi-equitably. Not so for minor stuff. An unpopular religious minority trying to build a house of worship will get every little zoning regulation thrown at them in a way that popular religions or secular groups won't. A black person committing a trivial violation will get the book thrown at them while the same offense is ignored for a white guy etc etc.
Galaxie

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 11:39:13 AM »

For all the talk about a biased justice system when it comes to serious crimes, it seems like powerful impose themselves on the week even more when it comes to relatively petty laws.

A shooting will at least get treated semi-equitably. Not so for minor stuff. An unpopular religious minority trying to build a house of worship will get every little zoning regulation thrown at them in a way that popular religions or secular groups won't. A black person committing a trivial violation will get the book thrown at them while the same offense is ignored for a white guy etc etc.

This. The more we can raise the visibility of inequities over seemingly minor instances, the more understanding we can generate of the greater biases that still steer our "justice"
Nyssus
Misteeer
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 07:45:26 PM »

This. The more we can raise the visibility of inequities over seemingly minor instances, the more understanding we can generate of the greater biases that still steer our "justice"
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 12:27:30 AM »
« Edited: July 14, 2018, 12:31:14 AM by HillGoose »

a few months back i called the cops on some people i'd never seen who were sitting in their old, ugly car at a building near my house all day because i smelled weed when i walked past their car that evening and was afraid they were going to rob the building (or worse, my house) why else would they sit in their car staring at a building all day?

did i do something wrong by calling the cops? lmfao i'm glad i did
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 04:03:09 AM »

Lmao, good to see black people attempting to invent their own equivalent of ‘n’ by calling all white women who do things they don’t like ‘Becky’ (also applies to ‘yt’ I guess). Tremendous stuff.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 11:10:43 AM »

OK yeah, what these people are doing is wrong, but is an online harassment campaign of thousands of people getting them fired and their name doxxed permanently all over the Internet really a proportionate response... no.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 11:57:08 AM »

a few months back i called the cops on some people i'd never seen who were sitting in their old, ugly car at a building near my house all day because i smelled weed when i walked past their car that evening and was afraid they were going to rob the building (or worse, my house) why else would they sit in their car staring at a building all day?

did i do something wrong by calling the cops? lmfao i'm glad i did

There's a quantum leap between reporting that and reporting a family for having a barbecue or a kid for selling cookies, or for looking Hispanic (but being Native American) on a college tour.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 01:04:17 PM »

I think situations like these are so comically evil and one-sided that anyone who doesn't admit that racism played a factor in these situations would be beyond convincing.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2018, 01:25:42 PM »

I think situations like these are so comically evil and one-sided that anyone who doesn't admit that racism played a factor in these situations would be beyond convincing.
to be fair, people call the cops on white people doing nothing wrong too.  Not at the same rate perhaps, but often enough that it's hard to say any specific incident is racist or not.  (unless, ya know, the racist is obvious about it)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2018, 02:51:33 PM »

OK yeah, what these people are doing is wrong, but is an online harassment campaign of thousands of people getting them fired and their name doxxed permanently all over the Internet really a proportionate response... no.

Hate to agree with Beet, but he has a point here. The amount of online shaming at these people (who, yes, clearly hold racist attitudes) is starting to leave "righteous outrage" territory and enter "online mob mentality" territory, and it's kind of disturbing.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2018, 04:37:37 PM »

to be fair, people call the cops on white people doing nothing wrong too.  Not at the same rate perhaps, but often enough that it's hard to say any specific incident is racist or not.  (unless, ya know, the racist is obvious about it)

From the video it seemed highly likely to me that "Barbecue Becky" is autistic.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2018, 06:28:51 PM »

Very true. White people love calling the cops over petty irrelevant things almost as much as they love New Balance sneakers and gluten free products.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2018, 04:43:58 PM »

lady (probably white) calls 911 on whales doing whale things
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2018, 04:56:08 PM »

oddly enough, here's another

white lady calls cops on 9 yo for sexual assault
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2018, 09:37:56 AM »

Of course Portland screws their version of this story up.  link
she's had to go into hiding because there are a lot of violent idiots in Portland.  Meanwhile, the "victims" are selling clothing with her face on it.  Disgusting.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2018, 02:46:29 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-OnIgsPnP4
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2020, 06:50:24 PM »

if there is 2 or more of them together, call the cops!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies