The Press
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:19:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  The Press
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7
Author Topic: The Press  (Read 12141 times)
Galaxie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: July 22, 2018, 02:24:52 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
[/quote]
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #101 on: July 22, 2018, 02:43:25 PM »

From  THURSDAY,   NOVEMBER  4,—to  MONDAY,  NOVEMBER  8,   1790.

RESPONSE TO MR. MORRIS.
In his most recent letter published in the Federalist, Mr. Morris claims offense at what he calls the 'vile defamations' of the press against his person. The blame for his many revolutions of principle he places squarely on the shoulders of Mr. Adams and the Whig interest, who he charges have most unfairly biased the public against him, by accurately quoting his speeches and writings on the subject of Westsylvania. He then goes on to denounce the first Secretary for what he calls the failure to bring negotiations with the Governor of Pennsylvania to a successful conclusion, to which alleged weakness he attributes the violence in the Western counties of that state.
     A man proven so ticklish with the Truth as Mr. Morris should on the whole abstain from levying charges of dishonesty, when he himself is engaged in the most scurrilous mutilation of the Facts of the case to advance his own factional interest. It is well known by every Deputy in the National Assembly, as well as by every man, woman, and child informed on the matter, that negotiations between the Government and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania were ended, not by the infirmity of Mr. Madison as he suggests, but by the Mutiny of the Pennsylvania Militia, which the Governor of that State refused outright to suppress. Why Mr. Morris has chosen the side of the murdering, rebellious hordes of Mutineers against the law-abiding Citizens of Westsylvania is, to ourselves, a mystery. We can only conclude that the prospect of the forthcoming by-election for the seat of Suffolk and Queen's has raised in 'Old Gouverneur' a curious appetite for power, which Facts and Reason may not wholly satisfy. Friends of the Government and the Constitution will well observe this womanish fancy fairy-tales, and return a Whig Deputy from the aforesaid constituency at the first of the next month.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #102 on: July 22, 2018, 04:38:28 PM »

From  THURSDAY,   NOVEMBER  26,—to  MONDAY,  NOVEMBER  29,   1790.

G L O R I O U S   N E W S.
Yesterday afternoon arrived in this City swift couriers from the Western counties of Pennsylvania, and brought to us the glorious news of the defeat of the Rebel Militia and the victory of the Federal forces at Pittsburgh. The town is now in the hands of General Hamilton and his Federals, at the cost of less than a hundred of the Mutineers, and comparatively few of our men. The Federal campaign is pronounced an enormous success, to the salvation of the Union, and everywhere the praises of Madison, Hamilton, and the Government are sung with reverence and admiration.
     We are otherwise told, that the Western Triumvirate and Major McFarlane have yielded themselves to the Government, in expectation of the swift and orderly redress of their grievances, on terms proposed by the first Secretary.
     By this glorious victory, no remnant of Rebellious or Mutinous forces remain to any longer trouble the supremacy of the Law, and the Cause of the Government vindicated against the false attacks of the Tory papers, who so recently proclaimed the abject failure of their policy.
Galaxie

« Reply #103 on: July 22, 2018, 04:46:05 PM »
« Edited: July 22, 2018, 05:02:02 PM by Galaxie »

_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #104 on: July 22, 2018, 04:59:21 PM »

James Jackson on the Western Faction's slavery stances.
Pamphlet by the Patriots

The speech printed below were given by the leader of the Patriot Faction James Jackson on October 31st in the town of Louisville, Kentucky.

(This pamphlet shall be distributed throughout the state of Kentucky by the State's Patriot Organization.)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #105 on: July 22, 2018, 08:59:02 PM »

On the Upcoming Elections
A Pamphlet by the Western Faction

This speech was delivered by Gen. James Wilkinson, leader of the Western faction, on November 30th in Lexington, Kentucky.

My friends, today is Election Day, a most emotional occasion. This state — my home, the state I love — will go to the polls for the first time as an equal member of the brotherhood of states. Whatever the outcome of this election, I know that I have played a role, both through my involvement in our Constitutional Convention and through introducing the authorizing legislation in the National Assembly, in gaining our statehood. Of all my accomplishments, that is the one of which I am the most proud.

And I hope that the blessings of statehood may soon resonate through Westsylvania as well. All credit must go to the brave men who declared its statehood, but I do give myself a bit of credit — by being willing to speak in public, though just a speech, I believe I lent courage to many, who had previously only seen a government indifferent to their sufferings. I do not regret the time in prison I served for that cause, and would gladly repeat that sacrifice whenever liberty is threatened, in Westsylvania, in Kentucky, or anywhere in the west of these United States.

I must turn now to the issue of slavery, which has become an issue of some debate. I view this as regrettable — there is, in truth, little disagreement between the parties in this election on slavery, and yet slavery appears the dominant issue of the day, preventing detailed discussion of our accomplishments and records in government, and our other positions on the future. Nevertheless, I have always taken a consistent stance on the issue — to permit the people to decide. In places like Kentucky, where slavery appears to be a significant component of the economy, it should be permitted; in places where the people have voted to prohibit the practice, I do not support its re-introduction. Contrary to the slanderous drivel vomited up by particular members of the so-called Patriot faction, I have never opposed the existence of slavery in any place where the people wish it to exist.

There is still work to be done. In particular, while our Declaration of Rights guarantees some specific liberties, there are still others not yet codified in law, and there are still officeholders — as became evident through the Westsylvania crisis —  who do not respect those rights. Our economic condition is not yet stabilized, though through the Land Act we have made significant strides towards reducing our debt, and extending civilization into the Northwest Territory besides. We have ensured that the Declaration of Rights includes many provisions, extraordinarily beneficial to Western interests, that were not present in Madison’s original draft, such as the guarantee of free navigation. We have ensured, through our role in the governing coalition, that the tariffs that fund our government are no higher than those necessary to support the functions of state. By working within the government, the Western faction has been able to guarantee favorable outcomes for the people of Kentucky in several of the contests of state. I ask that you return myself to the National Assembly, so that I might continue that work.

The leader of the Westerners,
x Gen. James Wilkinson

(This pamphlet shall be circulated throughout Kentucky, as voters are heading to the polls.)
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #106 on: July 26, 2018, 07:32:25 AM »

An Open Letter to the National Assembly regarding Cumberland and it's expansion by William Blount

To the National Assembly, it is to the Understanding of all that First Secretary James Madison has been granted the remaining territory from North Carolina while the theoretical State of Cumberland, formerly Franklin, has been extended to half of what I wrote about a year ago. My idea is quite popular with the people however and, while the State of North Carolina dislikes the idea, are you not around to Represent the people, be them from Territories or States? Are those from Territories considered far less than me those from States that you don't consider the people in your decisions? The idea of Cumberland to the Mississippi is quite popular within the region that I and many Cumberlandians live in and it is with the utmost honor and respect that I, on behalf of the people, request you consider our proposed idea in a vote that you possibly take quite soon in the National Assembly.

To the people of Cumberland, do not riot. Do not act against officials. Campaign peacefully for this idea. Show how Popular it is in many circles in this region. Write to the National Assembly and to the Government of North Carolina to consider this idea Seriously. Above all, however, if it's decided to give us the current borders, respect the wishes of the National Assembly and do as you please.

It is with great hope that this open letter to you all,

x William Blount
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #107 on: July 26, 2018, 09:14:14 AM »

Address Concerning a Resolution
James Madison, First Secretary
The above statement was transmitted to all national newspapers as urgently as possible.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #108 on: July 26, 2018, 09:52:20 AM »

The Republican Standard
The Voice of The People
Vol. VI
Jan. 1791
A speech from Mr. Madison
To the Citizens and the Deputies, from the National Assembly
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #109 on: July 26, 2018, 02:08:18 PM »

A Request to all Cumberlandians by William Blount

Fellow Cumberlandians, our time for state is near and should it be a success, we will finally allow ourselves to be represented in the National Assembly. However, our borders need to be resolved and I have a humble request to make. It is clear that the State of North Carolina fears our future power and it is sad to say until we become a state that we are at their mercy and whims of their depends. Shall the current Statehood Act be passed, we, as a people, need to properly raise funds and properly settle the land between the current borders and the Mississippi River. I have already put much of my funds into paying off the cost for said territory. We are at the nearing our main goal and I request we continue our Campaign for our State's expansion westward while giving funds for the purchase of the previously mentioned territory to be put into a bank to aid us, but please, put yourself before the State and do what you must get with your funds. Thank you for your time and I await the response from the Cumberlandian People.

xWilliam Blount
Galaxie

« Reply #110 on: July 26, 2018, 07:12:05 PM »

YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« Reply #111 on: July 26, 2018, 09:26:15 PM »
« Edited: July 26, 2018, 11:23:35 PM by YPestis25 »

Bulletin From New Hampshire

Galaxie

« Reply #112 on: July 26, 2018, 10:18:42 PM »

Boobs
HCP
« Reply #113 on: July 26, 2018, 11:18:08 PM »

The honourable Mr. Richard BACHE for Congress

The honourable Mr. Hugh Henry BRACKENRIDGE, Esquire, for Governor

A ticket most LOYAL to the Commonwealth of PENNSYLVANIA
against all enemies, foreign and domestic, such being;

the FRAUDULENT First Secretary, the dishonourable Mr. MADISON, who, in his capacity, has used every opportunity to BACKSTAB the Commonwealth, a most loyal State of this Union,
STOLEN the position of Governor from its LEGAL occupier,
and INSTALLED a PUPPET to do his every bidding.
This treacherous NERO will find no Kiss on his RING from the Radical candidates.

the MONARCHIST Tories, who have continued to express their expediency for the DEATH of the Commonwealth and its CONSOLIDATION under the control of the treacherous NERO
This RIDICULOUSNESS is wrong for the Union and wrong for Pennsylvania.

the WORTHLESS Samuelites, who have stood by vile NERO as he had betrayed the Commonwealth,
who have entered in an ALLIANCE with the wretched WESTERNERS to destroy our Commonwealth plot by plot,
They may NOT be TRUSTED with the interests of Pennsylvania.

the UPSTART "Pennsylvanians", who have BESMEARED the name of our glorious commonwealth for political gain,
whose election shall signal the END of Pennsylvania
and the beginning of CEASELESS VIOLENCE.

Vote BACHE and BRACKENRIDGE; vote RADICAL, for a strong and united Pennsylvania, for peace and prosperity, and to
keep alive the SPIRIT, HONOUR, AND MEMORY of our heroes, FRANKLIN and MIFFLIN.

Vote for PENNSYLVANIA !

terp40hitch
United States

« Reply #114 on: July 27, 2018, 08:44:17 AM »

Deputy
James Gunn
for
Governor

Fighting for Freedom, Liberty and Propserty

Georgia for Gunn for Governor

• The Patriot Party is the only faction representing southern values. The other factions especially the Democrat-Republicans may claim that they represent the South but their loyalty lies in Boston and Philadelphia, not in Wilkes, Augusta or Savannah.
  • James Gunn understands how important slavery is vital to the Georgian economy. That is why James Gunn was at the forefront of preserving slavery in the national assembly and that is what he will do in the governor's mansion.
  • The Tories and Hamiltiontians won't preserve slavery in Georgia. Both factions have openly talked about regulating slavery and the Tories have openly said they want to have a slavery-free nation. Those factions won't represent Georgia, they will hurt our economy and soar our taxes.
  • James Gunn will never force the Georgian people to pay for other states debt.
  • James Gunn was a general in the American revolution and understands that a state needs a strong militia and Gunn will make sure that Georgia is safe from those Indians and British.
  • The Patriot faction will never infringe upon the constitution or natural rights, unlike the Radical faction who have already have tried to take away people's right to speech. That is why the Patriot faction went to the high court to preserve a person right to speech. That is what James Gunn will do as governor.

There is only one clear choice for the Georgia

This phamphlet will be passed out to Georgia state legisultures before they choose the next governor
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #115 on: July 27, 2018, 11:24:31 PM »

Encyclopædia Natural
§ On American Animals

Americanus inchordatus
Lit. "spineless American," this creature prides itself on its supposed free-thinking and independent spirit, but is rather cowardly when confronted by a larger foe, such as the Americanus perfidus  (lit. "treacherous American" but more commonly referred to as "Nero"), and is willing to give up, without hesitation, its values and its allies. In some cases, it may even, by choice, cohabit with perfidus, in which inchordatus readily takes the weaker role, and bends over backwards to do the bidding of its larger master. However, when keeping with its own brood, the inchordatus can rarely be called a loving parent, instead engaging in violence and anger with members of its own species and with those it claims dominion over. Overall, the inchordatus is a rather foul creature, with little purpose, not even in flesh or hide, and so one should be most adamant in eliminating its presence from one's homestead or territory.

Tyrannus insatiabilis
Lit. "insatiable tyrant," this beast's endless appetite for wealth and power dominates all other bodily functions, repressing hygiene, sex, and sleep in favour of its ceaseless hoarding of material goods and political power. This creature, in its quest, sees no action as unreasonable to satisfy its urges, whether that be the betrayal of its brood, the swearing of fealty to an Americanus perfidus, or an alliance with the Devil himself. Even with the memory of having helped banish the Devil and his monarchy from its territory, the insatiabilis now welcomes the Devil back to its shores, of course with the perception that it will benefit in resources and in power from such an event. T. insatiabilis also seeks to surrender its brood to a reigning perfidus, and sees no error in its ways. Ironically, in its misguided attempts to gain power for itself, insatiabilis, believing that it will usurp the reigning perfidus, only strengthens the perfidus, allowing it to dominate and wreak more havoc upon insatiabilis's brood, as well as any other brood in the surrounding territory. A wise word for homesteaders: do not invite this creature onto your property, for soon you'll find all your livestock killed and yourself evicted from your home, as both insatiabilis and the wretched perfidus shall choose to take up occupancy on your land.

Galaxie

« Reply #116 on: July 28, 2018, 12:17:14 PM »

Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #117 on: July 29, 2018, 10:03:18 PM »

From  THURSDAY,   MARCH  4,—to  MONDAY,  MARCH  7,   1791.

THE NATIONAL CONSTELLATION.
The admission of Kentucky in the last year is celebrated as the first magnification of our federal Union, and destined to not be the last. Since the resumption in sitting of the National Assembly, petitions are read for the reception of Vermont and the County of Transylvania, now styled Cumberland, into the Union; in both cases, the likely resolution tends toward the affirmative. We may expect, as well, the resolution of the Westsylvania question in favor of the admission of that State; for outside Philadelphia, the Public opinion is uniformly in favor of its admission, both among the Governing party and the Opposition. The growth of our family of States must be met by every American as an occasion for great rejoicing; and every true Patriot ought eagerly to anticipate the day, when our federal Union should span uninterrupted to the Pacific: a nation of all free men, without Sovereign or Lords to rule them.

TORY PLOT IN MAINE.
A desperate Conspiracy conceived of a few dangerous and ill-designing men is raised in the National Assembly to split the County of Maine from the rest of Massachusetts, and establish her forcibly as an independent Commonwealth under a Tory government. The chief of this vicious and unquarterable Plot is none other than the notorious Deputy from Westchester, who is daily heard to praise the worldly Perfection of the British system of Government, and does not cease but to lament it is not as yet adopted in America. This Plot, carried out without the consultation of the inhabitants of Maine, nor with scarcely a morsel of respect for the rights of Massachusetts, intends to secede that County without reference to either, nor without recourse to a referendum. It is clear, that the Tory faction, who so despise to hear the voice of the People, are afraid to seek their advice, and certain that to do so would be to deliver a strong majority against the further pursuit of their scheme. They therefore intend to carry out the secession on high, and declare it accomplished without ever once putting the question to the inhabitants of Massachusetts, whose rights and intelligence they openly insult.

Citizens! will you permit this outrageous insult to the sovereignty of Massachusetts? If the federal Legislature may, by its own Power, declare the secession of a part of an established State without reference either to it or to the seceded County, then our federal system is at an end, and the Union is transformed as an absolute Dictatorship of the central Authority. In such an extremity, it will be the Duty of each State to assume such Measures as should be needful and necessary for the defense of their Sovereignty.
Galaxie

« Reply #118 on: July 29, 2018, 10:45:43 PM »

Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #119 on: July 30, 2018, 12:14:24 AM »

The above will circulate in all states where the Whigs have stood a candidate for governor.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #120 on: July 30, 2018, 02:18:48 PM »

From  THURSDAY,   MAY  5,—to  MONDAY,  MAY  9,   1791.

THE STATE OF THE UNION.
The bands uniting our federal family are lately enforced by several wise and sensible measures offered by the Government, which serve to provide for the future happiness and prosperity of these States. Of these, the first is already the subject of frequent consideration in these pages, mainly the expansion of the Union to include the petitioner States of Vermont and Cumberland, by whose reception our national constellation is made brighter and increases its stature in the eyes of the powers of Europe. It is many an ancient tongue as truly spake, that the strength of the host increases with numbers, and with strength increases reputation. Each new addition may then be perceived as a beam by which the Union is reinforced, until it may be undone with no less difficulty than a Gordian knot. The more numerous are we, the more our name and standard demand the respect of every Nation who inhabits the Earth, the more the Government is secured, and the more the name of Liberty may ring from every corner of the Globe.
     We are determined, in the ancient example of our venerable forbearers, and against the wicked practice of the Tyrants of the World, to establish our Society on a foundation of Laws. This is the noble principle of our Revolution, and indeed is the foundation stone on which the federal edifice is rested. It may be justly observed, which any Government which derives its legitimacy but by the common respect for the Constitution, is no Government at all, but the beginnings of a Despotism, which should in its terminality destroy all Liberty and condemn the happiness of the People. Governments which rise on the prowess of one man, who place their foundations on the individual heroics of a conqueror (as is the design of the perfidious Hamiltonians), are no more deserving of the respect of a free people, than the barbarian Kings of old. The strength of a Republic must therefore be founded in its institutions, established by common consent for the benefit of the general welfare, indifferent to the ambition of any man.
     It is by this sound argument that the Whig interest hath sought to establish strong institutions by which the republican character of our Constitution be reinforced, and the security and prosperity of the people increased exponentially. To the former end, have the Government proposed passage of a bill to establish the national military under the direction and supervision of the civil Power. The since suppressed mutiny in Pennsylvania, and the news lately had from the frontier of Indian raids against settlements in our western Counties, lays plain before every man the necessity of an Army to provide for the defense of these States against all enemies, foreign or domestic, as may be arrayed against them. In the last year it was objected that a large standing Army being offensive to the Liberty of a free people, and further beyond the means of the federal Power to provide, without further increase of the national Debt, caused the defeat of the motion in the Senate by a single vote. By the wise amendment by the Government of the original plan, these concerns are now addressed, by insert of a provision forbidding explicitly the maintenance of a standing army in times of Peace. This measure, the particular advice of Mr. Samuel Adams, is judged to assure passage of the bill in Congress, and the wisdom of his suggestion is praised in all quarters, by Government and Opposition alike.
     The happiness of the Roman Republic was undone, and the foundation for Monarchy and empire laid, when the Power of State ceased to be exercised by the Senate, and devolved to the administration of Generals, who by their personal popularity made and unmade the Government at will. By establishing the Military in direct subservience to the civil Power, and with many heads instead of one, the prospect for an American Caesar is decreased significantly. Already some in the National Assembly are calling for the dissolution of the Government, in favor of the singular leadership of General Hamilton, or some like figure. We may not believe that the General would me amicable to so despicable a plot; yet so long as the Military Power remains the exclusive province of one man, the prospect that a lesser individual should cause the overthrow of our republican forms by a hateful Despotism remains. Adoption of the Military Act is therefore not only prudential, but necessary to see that the Army takes it not upon itself to become the Administration of federal Power, but remains the servant of elected Authorities.
     A national Currency being likewise necessary to ensure the prosperity of these states, Mr. Adams is heard to speak out in favor of legislation to establish such brought by the Deputies from Pennsylvania. The establishment of a national Mint, and a hard currency founded upon real value, is pronounced by Mr. Adams an object of inestimable value to the United States; we are obliged to concur with him: for without a stable currency, our prospects for trade with Europe are obliterated, the faith in our domestic markets is ruined, and many an honest man is cheated of his fortune by inconstant paper money. Whatever small expense may be accrued in pursuit of such a policy is, says Mr. Adams, far preferable to the continued state of financial Anarchy, or the resumed circulation of worthless Continental notes, as was the practice under the last Confederation. By these arguments, he proves himself not only an honest man, but the firmest friend of sound monetary policy in the Government; whereas none of the other Ministers save he spoke in favor of the bill, Mr. Adams was at the forefront in support of it. We may commend his honesty, and recognize with gratitude that it is the Whig interest who will provide the votes decisive to the passage of so needful a measure.
Galaxie

« Reply #121 on: July 30, 2018, 03:53:58 PM »

\
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #122 on: July 30, 2018, 06:00:44 PM »

From  THURSDAY,   MAY  19,—to  MONDAY,  MAY  23,   1791.

THE TORY HYDRA.
There is nothing more offensive to a Wolf, than to plainly and openly call him by his own name. So the petulant squall of the Federalist is raised to protest the grave wrong that is done their master-mistress, Mr. Morris, in applying to him the label 'Tory.' It is described as a unique and vicious slander by the friends of Mr. Adams, that so hateful a name should be spoken in connection with the inveterate chief of demagogues, whose character, they insist, is wholly innocent of any taint of British Monarchism. Consumed by passion, the inebriate editors demand the defeat of Mr. Adams for daring to profane the worthy name of the Lord of Pennsylvania.
     The Old Gouverneur is only too eager to distance himself from the charge of Toryism—for even the snake may recognize what a hateful thing it is, to grovel at the feet of men, begging for quarter, brought low by one's own ambition and lust. He protests the charge applied to him unjust, on grounds that he has deserted his old chief Jay, for the more advantageous apprenticeship to Mr. Hamilton, in whose good name he is only too willing to wrap himself and so conceal his vile nature. His defection he attributes to the weakness of Mr. Jay (on which question we are obliged to agree with him), and explains that his attachment to Mr. Hamilton, is borne from a desire to seek out a man whose competence and reputation would assure the success of his principles. Of the hateful Monarchism of Mr. Jay, of the despite which he bears for our republican Constitution, and of the disdain he holds for the common people, Old Morris raises not one word of protest. His enmity with Mr. Jay, and the causes which led him to effect the separation of their political fortunes, is of a wholly personal nature, and never conceals any substantive difference between the two on the matters of state.
     If there may be any doubt of the fundamental British character of Mr. Morris' politics, there need look no further than the measure which he now brings before the National Assembly, to establish a federal Bank by which the monetary policy of this Country may be designed and effected. The prospect of our national finances writ, set, and administered by a secret board of Directors, chosen by stockholders, speculators, bankers, and financiers from among their own ranks, and unaccountable to the people, is, by Mr. Morris' own account, a happy and benevolent future. Nor would such a Creature as this Bank be accountable to the States, or even to the Congress, whose opinions are to be as irrelevant to the all-powerful Directors as the voice of the people is absent from their proceedings. Such a venture can have no ambition, nor achieve any end, but to place our economy at the disposal of the Monied Interests, who are themselves subservient to the British merchant class. It is, in short, the effective repeal of our Independency; the succession of Slavery by the sword, with Slavery by the dollar.
     Mr. Morris well knows the unpopularity of this scheme, such are the people inclined to favor Liberty over Slavery, and to reject all forms which tend toward the latter. He has therefore abandoned the defense of his principles, and instead wraps himself in the patriotism of General Hamilton, by whose prowess he intends to establish himself as an American Caesar. The military success of the General, is to be the apple by which the rotten Lord of Pennsylvania tempts his Countrymen toward their peril—keeping them ever distracted by its rich odor and lustrous color, that they notice not the hovering sword, until it has cleaved our republic from end to end, and replaced it with a hideous Monarchy. It is well acknowledged, that were it not for the benefit of the name of Hamilton, the Morrisonian party should not have succeeded to retain the constituency of Suffolk in the late by-election. Knowing this, he has therefore endeavored to run out the old charger at every opportunity, that the people may not notice his own gross deficiencies as a statesman.
     If Mr. Morris detests the label of Toryism, he is right to do so—there is no thing more vile on the face of this Continent, than the slavish devotion to the British merchant class which he displays in his conduct before the National Assembly. We may only hope that the people, in their infinite wisdom, will not be prevented in delivering a firm majority for the Whigs and the friends of Liberty in the Government—or well may we all fear the subjugation of these States by a powerful, central Despotism.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #123 on: July 30, 2018, 06:35:36 PM »

Address on the State of the Union
spoken on the floor of the National Assembly
The above was transmitted to all national newspapers.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #124 on: July 30, 2018, 10:40:49 PM »
« Edited: July 30, 2018, 10:52:02 PM by wxtransit »

The Westsylvanian Epilogue
The above was transmitted to all national newspapers.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies