The Press
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:51:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  The Press
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7
Author Topic: The Press  (Read 11960 times)
Galaxie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: July 30, 2018, 11:34:55 PM »

VOL. VII | May, 1791

The First Bank of the United States

What does the future hold for a Nation without finance? A Nation weakened by empty accounts is naturally prone to many calamities. Be it internal unrest of the many impoverished within the nation, or the foreign encroachment on land in which we are too poor to fight for, the future for a nation without money is indeed bleak.

Upon the passage of the National Coinage Act, these United States began a long journey to financial solvency -- a journey that by every account is far from over.

The next step of this journey takes place upon the backs of a National Bank -- an institution to serve the finance of and economic need of our young Nation. Free from the political trappings and failings of our Congress, but beholden to our Department of Treasury and to its own Shareholders, this institution is far from a Despotic Altar that the financially-illiterate Whigs wish to paint it. Nay, this institution is one governed by the joint hands of our Government and our People, unified in the pursuit of monetary growth and economic gain.

To those in the many states of our great Nation, who must contend with local, unpredictable banks and the hassle of inter-state trade, this bank levels the playing field and creates a truly unified national system. To those who worry of states rights, and this bank's place in them, fear not. The great war debts of each of these United States will fall upon our bank to be sold as shares, and relieved of the states that currently hold them. For isn't the one of the greatest freedoms a state can have that of being debt-free?

All citizens may invest in shares of this bank -- a literal investment into our nation that shall by all means serve as the most democratic means possible of governing our economy. All citizens, from the monied New York Businessman to the Georgian farmer may invest in our government, and reap their rewards. For this is a bank that is governed fairly, and destined to grow.

Bold ideas can seem daunting, especially to those too reactionary to understand their necessity. Fear not of these fearmongers. Our nation is on the road to financial recovery, a ship that must be steered by a trustworthy and seasoned crew. Instead of the many captains in each of our States that wish to steer the ship in a dozen directions, this Nation Bank provides a single and reasoned path -- one to growth.

We all wish to see our nation -- and ourselves -- succeed, and for our wealth to grow. It is time to pursue the same lofty dreams this nation was founded upon, and found a Bank for the People.

Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #126 on: July 31, 2018, 05:19:07 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The above will be circulated throughout New England, and especially Vermont.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #127 on: August 01, 2018, 06:22:01 PM »

Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #128 on: August 01, 2018, 07:12:34 PM »

Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #129 on: August 01, 2018, 07:36:52 PM »

terp40hitch
United States

« Reply #130 on: August 01, 2018, 07:43:57 PM »

Governor Gunn's Response to FS Madison

Mr. Madison, you question my experience. I have as much experience as you in the assembly and for the last year, I have been the interim head of the Patriot faction in the national assembly. Before my assembly years, I was a general and a member of the potential congress and now I am the Governor of the great state of Georgia.

After trying to downplay my experience, first Sectary Madison went on and asked rhetorical questions but I still have an answer to them. First, he asked, "shall render a judgment on the resolution that we took weeks to build?" I will render judgment because this was a poor deal that affects the whole country. Even before this deal was made our country was struggling with our debt and it was dragging down our country but now, you may have just put us on the verge of a debt crisis that will affect all of America including the state that I govern. If I was president Hamilton, I would dismiss you as the first sectary because of this reckless deal and the handling of the position in Pennsylvania.

Second, he asked, "I shall ask the Governor, were you there when we struck the deal?" Mr. Madison, I am the Governor of Georgia so I was helping to fight for the people I serve. Maybe you should take a lesson from that and fight for all of America not just Pennsylvania.

Third, he asked, "Would you rather we assume all state debts" Sectary, I believe we should assume no states debts. I believe that it is the responsibility of the state to figure out their own way to solve their debt problem. That was one of my campaign promises but now the story has changed. I believe the federal government should treat each state the same and leave them alone but now that you have decided to benefit one state, you have now started a whole new fire within each state who wants to be treated equally with your Pennsylvania.

First Sectary Madison, this was a disastrous deal and this deal will forever be a smear on your legacy.

Signed
Governor of Georgia
James Gunn

This letter will be sent to every deputy and every national newspaper
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #131 on: August 01, 2018, 07:46:37 PM »

Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #132 on: August 01, 2018, 08:05:13 PM »

The Official Platform of the Patriot Faction
And Our Vision For Cumberland

Many men across the great State of Cumberland have heard the message of the Patriot Faction, and in particular our standard-bearer Mr. William BLOUNT. So that we may refresh the memories of the good citizens of Cumberland, and circulate such information to those who have not heard his speech, we have compiled the most compelling passages of his usual oration into this pamphlet.

Our chief policy is a TERM LIMIT, with Mr. Blount pledging to only remain in office for a period of six terms of government. Given that a typical term of government is six years, and Mr. Blount is presently forty-two years in age, this represents a pledge to retire only at the age of seventy-eight. This limit satisfies the populace, assuming that they cannot multiply the terms as quickly as Mr. Blount makes his promises, and allows Mr. Blount to reign as an effective TYRANT, while also allowing him to pretend to oppose that monarchical rule which he so fervently supports.

Another policy of ours, especially popular in the western reaches of Cumberland, is SURRENDER. Quite simply, we find the occasional burden of any taxation, even those minimal rates established by the National Assembly to fund the basic functions of government, far too tiresome. The eastern planters which comprise our leadership, in particular, chafe under the burden of a small tariff on goods imported from BRITAIN, Spain, &c. So that we may strengthen our relationship with Britain, and save a bit of money, we propose reducing the present rates of tariff. As a result, we would either have to allow the debt to balloon, or restrict some of the present functions of government, chiefly comprised of the military forces which endeavor to provide our defense. Refusing to defend our homes and villages, against the merciless Indians on our Western frontier, may result in the deaths of a few thousand innocent people — but what are they worth, to a coin saved for the men of Savannah?

Third — and perhaps so universally agreeable, as to hardly be worth mentioning — is our support for ABOLITION of Slavery. Our proposed solution is to allow for slavery to continue, in certain limited forms, south of the 37th parallel, while eliminating it immediately in all those states and territories north of the line. This would, of course, entail the elimination of slavery in Kentucky, New Jersey, New York, Delaware, Maryland, the Northwest territories, and throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia. While this certainly seems a radical proposition, we are committed to the total destruction of slavery, which must begin with its elimination in several states, so that it may, by pieces, be abolished across the nation.

Contrast this platform with the scurrilous WESTERN FACTION, committed as it is to republicanism, a stout defense against the Indian foe, and the doctrine of popular sovereignty. It is clear that these ideas, while perhaps appealing to the more simple-minded members of the public, are clearly unacceptable in government. It is the PATRIOT FACTION, and it alone, which stands for TYRANNY, SURRENDER, and ABOLITIONISM. While opponents of such theories of government may cast their vote for the Western faction, we trust that all free-thinking men of Cumberland will cast their ballot for the most reasonable choice: the Patriots.

A supporter of,
William Blount

(This pamphlet shall be circulated throughout Cumberland.)
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #133 on: August 01, 2018, 08:07:06 PM »

The Republican Standard
The Voice of The People
Vol. VII
Nov. 1791
A rebuttal against the TYRANNICAL men who call themselves Patriots.
       Mr. James Gunn, after hearing our leader Mr. MADISON's proper rebuke to his Party, went on to smear baseless accusations against the government. Madison's response is as follows:
[quote]First, I am within my bounds to question your experience in rendering such a judgement. You only served as the leader of a party - and an interim leader at that - while I have had the helm of the nation for the past three years. You may think of them the same - a most curious and incorrect assumption - but they are most certainly not. And no, this deal does not "poorly affect the whole country". I suggest you read up on your facts before rendering such a judgement. No unnecessary taxes shall be levied with this, and instead, the debt shall be paid off through new sources of revenue for the government, along with the rest of the debt. In fact, this is a benefit, not a harm! It is a good thing that you are not the President, as we need a steady hand that does not act in the interests of only himself and does not judge the situations completely. Next, I think you should take a lesson from yourself. If you were truly fighting for all of America, you would see that this deal acts in the best interest of keeping this nation together, and keeps our economy in good health, too. Instead, you opportunistically pick out the worst parts of the deal without context - provided nicely for you above, and use them as false talking points while doing nothing for your citizens in the process, while my government and myself fight for our nation's integrity. This is the crux of my question. You have done nothing except twist the knife in this crisis, while I have helped to bind our diverse cultures back together. And finally, and most hilariously, you seem to have made a talking point out of thin air. Never did I ask if you wanted me to assume all state debts. This is a complete and utter lie, and while I'm surprised you would go as far as that, I should not be shocked, given your record.

Governor of Georgia Mr. Gunn, all you want is to create strife for your own political gain, even going as far as to make up words out of my mouth. This is repulsive behavior in such a tough time, and a bad reflection upon the party you lead. In my administration, I have treated every state equally, including building a canal which goes through Maryland and Pennsylvania - a part of my deal, and aiding citizens by not increasing taxes. And yet, you go against your own philosophy by serving only the interests of yourself in a crisis, and flat-out lying to meet this end, instead of helping to rebuild our nation. You want this to be a smear on my legacy, and yet, it has completely backfired.

Shame be to Mr. Gunn, and if these Patriots shall not condemn this behavior, shame be to them.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #134 on: August 01, 2018, 08:19:26 PM »

Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #135 on: August 01, 2018, 08:47:58 PM »

wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #136 on: August 01, 2018, 09:02:37 PM »

The Republican Standard
The Voice of The People
Vol. VIII
Nov. 1791
A Response to Mr. Adams.
       While it is true that Mr. Madison depends on such support of the Whigs, and entrusted its leader as his Deputy, it is furthermore true that it is not uncommon for members of the same coalition to compete, as it is the way of American Democracy. Furthermore, Mr. Madison asserts that no matter the outcome of the Vermont elections, his stance with the Whigs shall remain unchanged, as they do remain one of the few factions fighting for republican liberty in America, and still a close ally, no matter the dispositions of both leaders on the campaign trail.

That being said, we the editors of the Republican Standard, the voice of the Republican up and down the Atlantic, would like to address the claims made in the most recent of pamphlets by the Whigs. These Whigs assert a vote for them is the only possible ballot cast that can pervent the monarchical and truly un-Vermontian Hamiltonians from achieving office. This fact is completely and entirely false, and is intended to scare those Vermonters who believe in a different direction than intolerance for their state. Do not let intimidation prevent you from voting your conscience! The facts of the Whigs are clear, and the Vermonters who aspire for freedom know them well. Those who support our values of freedom assert the best choice is the Republican faction. The Republican candidate for western Vermont has been shown to be as competitive, in fact more so, than the Whig in that constituency, and is the best choice to defeat the Hamiltonians for fear they shall claim the seat. If too many cast a ballot for the Whigs there, in fact, it could jeopardize the Republican lead and allow the Hamiltonians in. But even furthermore, it is apparent that if these leads are maintained, the Hamiltonians have little chance at winning the Vermont elections, due to the truly republican nature of the state. For Governor, Assembly, and Legislature, vote your conscience!

The preceding was distributed in large numbers across Vermont, including western Vermont.
Galaxie

« Reply #137 on: August 01, 2018, 09:27:01 PM »

VOL. VIII | November, 1791

The Assumption of State Debts

To the States who wish their debts assumed by the federal government, hear, hear!

In avoidance of Democratic-Republican favouritism, the Hamiltonian National Bank plan includes the federal assumption of all state debts. This action will no doubt release your states from a great burden, and make their payment all the more obtainable.

If you, the people of these states with outstanding debt, wish to see yourselves treated fairly, you must urge your Representatives to vote YEA to the National Bank Act. If they fail to do this, regardless of their affiliation, they must be removed from office and replaced with a Delegate who will represent your state's interest fairly.

Make your voice heard! Be you in a new state, or one that has existed since the beginning of this great nation, support of the National Bank is support of your state, your pocketbook, and your nation.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #138 on: August 01, 2018, 09:29:50 PM »

Galaxie

« Reply #139 on: August 01, 2018, 09:31:06 PM »

wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #140 on: August 01, 2018, 09:39:06 PM »
« Edited: August 01, 2018, 10:22:33 PM by wxtransit »

The Republican Standard
The Voice of The People
Vol. IX
Dec. 1791
A speech from Mr. Madison
To the Citizens and the Deputies, from the National Assembly
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #141 on: August 01, 2018, 09:39:48 PM »

The Western faction and its organs shall republish the call to arms
Galaxie

« Reply #142 on: August 01, 2018, 09:54:59 PM »

VOL. IX | November, 1791

Foe of the State, Foe of the People

Alas, Gentlemen, the attacks levied by the Radical-endorsed Whig faction and their rabidly jealous leader, Mr. Samuel Adams, have become all the more dire, and all the more preposterous.

In his attacks on the Hamiltonian Bank Plan, Mr. Adams has invoked the specter of British Monarchy, American Subjugation, and Financial Ruin. Such a bleak picture truly gives us an idea of the inner-workings of the mind of this troubled man. What he fails to see, however, is that this is what he is promising our Nation by opposing necessary financial reforms.

You will hear the "Republicans" as they are so known, and the Whigs cry ghastly things about the limiting of State's rights by a National Bank. These men are clearly gifted at driving up hysteria, but lack the capacity to back it. With a National Bank, we would see a fair alleviation of state debt, unlike the favoritism that Mr. Madison now practices. Without alleviating our State Debts, we are condemning our States -- those that Mr. Madison and Mr. Adams so champion -- to decades more of financial insolvency and tumult. If these men so loved our states, wouldn't they wish to see them liberated from a crushing war burden -- a war burden that our Bank would assume? What these men fail to see is that a little government can go a long way.

Let us envision a world in which our National Bank does not pass. Our States are saddled with great debts, leaving them tethered and financially immobile, and your pocketbooks are continually shrinking or stagnant due to a lack of economic growth. No Bank leaves us all the poorer, our states all the weaker, and our national all the more vulnerable. Aren't these the things that Mr. Adams said would happen if we did create the bank?

Gentlemen, the fractured Whig-Republican bloc may not agree even with itself on most days, but they stand united in projecting their insecurities onto the Hamiltonians. A National Bank is a critical institution for our nation, and should be adopted with haste.
terp40hitch
United States

« Reply #143 on: August 01, 2018, 09:58:18 PM »
« Edited: August 01, 2018, 11:12:29 PM by terp40hitch »

Dear Mr. Madison,

All The Best,
Governor of Georgia
James Gunn
Galaxie

« Reply #144 on: August 01, 2018, 09:59:03 PM »

wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #145 on: August 01, 2018, 10:13:17 PM »

Galaxie

« Reply #146 on: August 01, 2018, 10:15:04 PM »

Boobs
HCP
« Reply #147 on: August 01, 2018, 11:07:45 PM »

An Open Letter from the Ever-grateful People of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania;
directed to the Honorable First Secretary, a most loyal ally to the Commonwealth

In times where credit earned is credit due, the most Honorable James Madison, the illustrious First Secretary of our humble Republic, has earned nothing but top marks from the concerned citizens of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, for his bold actions and intelligent solutions.

Although Mr. Madison hails from Virginia, and represents her in the Congress, we truly believe that his heart lives in Pennsylvania; he drinks from the clear waters of the mighty Schuylkill river, he breathes from the crisp air of the Poconos, he chews on the wheat grown by the proud farmers of Lancaster County, he walks on the cobble gathered from Northampton. It is undeniable, that Pennsylvania does hold a special place in the First Secretary's expansive heart; above all others, it is Pennsylvania he strives for. Mr. Madison, we thank you for your Loyalty!

The magnanimous Madison is the ally the humble folk of Pennsylvania have searched for. He had arrived, like Joan of Arc, to liberate the people against their oppressors. He is truly our Savior, second only to the Messiah himself. He liberated us from the yokes of debt, against the wretched words of those who would have liked to see our loyal Commonwealth fail. He had ignored the malicious intent and manipulative words of our so-called Countrymen in the southern states, casting aside their interests for the best interests of our Commonwealth, like a loyal ally would. Mr. Madison, we thank you for your Bravery!

The First Secretary, having taken responsibility for this affair, has dedicated every act in his administration to further soothe our transitive loss of territory. In fact, he was so generous as to offer our Commonwealth more in reparations for our losses, but we had decided against it, as to not burden our Union of States too much. He has understood our struggles, and he has helped us overcome them, willing to sacrifice an arm, a leg, an eye and an ear for us. He had ignored the woes of unconcerned parties in exchange to help his true love. And we certainly do love Mr. Madison in return. Mr. Madison, we thank you for your Generosity!

And so, as gift and signal of our good faith, in exchange for your acts of Loyalty, Bravery, and Generosity toward the people of Pennsylvania, we do hereby name you a most treasured and beloved Honorary Citizen of the Commonwealth. You will find nothing but kindness and good faith should you travel through the land which you so yearn to inhabit – and so, we, cast our confidence in you, and your loyalty and love to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

– A people most indebted to the acts and service of Mr. James Madison, First Secretary of these United States, a people citizen to the Commonwealth which Mr. Madison treasures and loves above all others, even his cradle of Virginia

This shall be distributed and published throughout Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Cumberland, and Virginia.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #148 on: August 01, 2018, 11:35:10 PM »

From  THURSDAY,   OCTOBER  20,—to  MONDAY,  OCTOBER  24,   1791.

MR. MORRIS ON THE BANK.
In their most recent advertisement to the people of Vermont, the Morrisonian party denounce the alleged hypocrisy of the Government, who in their estimation make mockery of their professed devotion to Liberty, by their pronounced opposition to the establishment of a National Bank. Considering Freedom to mean little without Security, Mr. Morris proposes to deliver the former, by Liberating the inhabitants of the States from the burden of self-government. Thus disenfranchised, the people may enjoy all the benefits of Utopia, without incurring any of the costs of its maintenance, by surrendering all authority to the central Administration, which will itself be conducted, not by the people's elected Representatives, but by Directors chosen for their Wealth, heredity, and usefulness to the British merchant class.
     This thesis of republican Liberty, if indeed either term may be applied to any scheme invented by Mr. Morris, we must humbly protest. To profess to bestow Liberty, by removing the very thing which is its first and dearest implement—the right of each State to govern its own affairs according to the inclination of its inhabitants—it a folly in itself, and a contradiction of terms. It is as impossible to spread Freedom by removing Liberty, as it is by destroying Religion to bring one closer to God. Though he may attack the altar, it is to be trusted that Mr. Morris may not disturb the congregants from their dutiful worship.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #149 on: August 02, 2018, 04:27:03 PM »

The Patriot Star

Vol. XI
December 3rd, 1791

John Milledge on Mr. Madison's Betrayal of his principles

The speech printed below was given by John Milledge, the Patriot Deputy from Wilkes, talking of the First Secretary's actions, including the assumption of Pennsylvania's debt and the construction of the Harrisburg-Philadelphia canal.

(The Patriot Star shall formally expand printing to the states of Westsylvania and Cumberland, while continuing to print in all other Southern States.)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies