Where do mixed-race people tend to fall on the political spectrum?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:37:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Where do mixed-race people tend to fall on the political spectrum?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Where do mixed-race people tend to fall on the political spectrum?  (Read 2102 times)
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 28, 2018, 07:40:20 AM »

I ask because I've dated two mixed race (half white/half black) women who grew up pretty wealthy and the thing that struck me is that both of them were very centrist, with an ever so slight liberal lean, and were more liberal than their parents on social issues, but they were clearly to the right of their parents on economic issues.

Is this typical of mixed race voters? Centrist with a slight left lean? I wonder if there's any statistics on this because there's typically not a "mixed-race" results section in exit polls from what I've seen so I'm wondering where they tend to fall.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 12:17:18 PM »

I ask because I've dated two mixed race (half white/half black) women who grew up pretty wealthy and the thing that struck me is that both of them were very centrist, with an ever so slight liberal lean, and were more liberal than their parents on social issues, but they were clearly to the right of their parents on economic issues.

Is this typical of mixed race voters? Centrist with a slight left lean? I wonder if there's any statistics on this because there's typically not a "mixed-race" results section in exit polls from what I've seen so I'm wondering where they tend to fall.

As a mutt(part Middle Eastern, German, French, Irish, Cherokee, Scottish, Welsh, Southeast Asian, Greek, Portuguese, and maybe Italian) - yes, I have, hilariously enough, been called that before when asked my ancestry - I think I’m pretty centrist.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 12:34:19 PM »

Would be interesting what the statistics on white-Native mixed people would be if you excluded anyone from Oklahoma...
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 02:39:45 PM »

Would be interesting what the statistics on white-Native mixed people would be if you excluded anyone from Oklahoma...

*exclude people who claim to be part Native American when they are less than 1/16th Native American.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 07:11:58 PM »

*exclude people who claim to be part Native American when they are less than 1/16th Native American.

I was just thinking the same thing. The people in the first category are probably the ones who identify as "Oh I have some Cherokee ancestry" even though it's negligible enough to not matter. That explains why they are so significantly Republican.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 07:16:45 PM »

I was just thinking the same thing. The people in the first category are probably the ones who identify as "Oh I have some Cherokee ancestry" even though it's negligible enough to not matter. That explains why they are so significantly Republican.
Well, the leader of the Cherokee Nation is only 1/32 Cherokee. He's a Democrat, though.
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2018, 08:48:19 PM »

Hard to generalize but in my experience they seem more polarized than the general US population.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2018, 12:05:51 AM »

Obama is mixed-race, and there was the "one-drop rule", so I'd guess they'd share the views of blacks.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2018, 12:24:58 AM »

Well, the leader of the Cherokee Nation is only 1/32 Cherokee.
*Kingpoleon Declares Bid For Cherokee Nation Chief: “Elect a real, 1/16 Cherokee!”*
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2018, 07:59:00 AM »

Hard to generalize but in my experience they seem more polarized than the general US population.

what do you mean by "polarized?"

like far to one side or the other?

that's interesting because all the mixed race people I've gotten to know enough to know their politics were very centrist, I wonder what the difference in our experience with that is.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2018, 09:17:50 AM »

Yeah I was about to say OK is a pretty big outlier when it comes to white-Native mixed that probably skews the numbers.
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2018, 01:37:36 AM »

that's interesting because all the mixed race people I've gotten to know enough to know their politics were very centrist, I wonder what the difference in our experience with that is.

Most of the mixed-race people I've met are from the West Coast and they tend to be White-Asian or White-Latinx rather than just White-Black mixes. The White-Black mixes whose politics I know about tend to be more vocal on social/racial issues but also side with the Democrats economically.

The White-Asian mixes I know who are politically active are quite partisan in their political affiliation. I may be generalizing this to White-Asian or White-Latinx couples and their single counterparts who prefer interracial relationships with White people though.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2018, 07:19:57 AM »

Most of the mixed-race people I've met are from the West Coast and they tend to be White-Asian or White-Latinx rather than just White-Black mixes. The White-Black mixes whose politics I know about tend to be more vocal on social/racial issues but also side with the Democrats economically.

The White-Asian mixes I know who are politically active are quite partisan in their political affiliation. I may be generalizing this to White-Asian or White-Latinx couples and their single counterparts who prefer interracial relationships with White people though.

That's interesting, I wonder if it's different because I'm in the south. I've dated two black-white mixed girls and they both seemed to side with Republicans more on economics, while having center-left social views.

In the south, white and black voters themselves are pretty polarized so the more I think about it the more it makes sense that ones with extended family of both races would be very close to the center.

Also, I'm not completely sure but I think the black-white mixes I was dating were more "in-line" with the average white southerner's views, because both of them straight up told me they only liked white guys. Which here probably means they were more sympathetic to establishment Republicans, at least on some issues, which usually tended to be economics.
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2018, 05:15:32 PM »

That's interesting, I wonder if it's different because I'm in the south. I've dated two black-white mixed girls and they both seemed to side with Republicans more on economics, while having center-left social views.

In the south, white and black voters themselves are pretty polarized so the more I think about it the more it makes sense that ones with extended family of both races would be very close to the center.

Also, I'm not completely sure but I think the black-white mixes I was dating were more "in-line" with the average white southerner's views, because both of them straight up told me they only liked white guys. Which here probably means they were more sympathetic to establishment Republicans, at least on some issues, which usually tended to be economics.

I briefly lived in Georgia and Texas as a child. Even back then there were a fair number of Asians and Latinos, at least in the large metro areas.

I should clarify that a minority of the White-Asian mixes I know (be they East/Southeast or South) are genuinely die-hard Republicans- however the majority are still strongly Democratic. Regardless of political affiliation they seem more vocal about politics than their monoracial counterparts. I honestly think this is because the mixed-race people I know happen to be more interested in law and government than the rest of my social network.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2018, 03:39:42 AM »

Doesn't every other white Southerner claim that to have a great-great-grandmother who was "a Cherokee princess"?
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2018, 08:01:40 AM »

Doesn't every other white Southerner claim that to have a great-great-grandmother who was "a Cherokee princess"?
Read this:
https://peopleofonefire.com/so-your-family-is-from-alabama-georgia-or-south-carolina-and-think-you-are-cherokee.html

The Cherokees were a rather recent and short-lived phenomena in the much of the south, especially in Alabama and Georgia, not colonizing the area much until the early 1700’s. They were native to the mountains of northern TN & NC.
Most people who think they are descended from a “Cherokee princess” are usually descended from a member of another tribe, or descended from some of the Sephardic Jews who colonized the south from the late 1500’s & onward.

I do have some Native American ancestry, but I also have a DNA haplogroup that is typical of Sephardic Jews, Moors, and Berbers. Since there are no records of my family in the old world, as they show up out of no where in North Carolina in the early 1700’s, this has left me guessing as to the origin of my line. One of my theories is that I’m descended from some of the many Sephardic Jews who settled in newly discovered Spanish lands (such as the southern US)  after their expulsion from Spain.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2018, 10:46:18 AM »

My great grandmother was a Cherokee indian. Looked just like it too
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies