Do you support Trump's tariffs?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:50:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Do you support Trump's tariffs?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ...
Yes (generally support free trade)

No (generally support free trade)

Yes (generally oppose free trade)

No (generally oppose free trade)

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 79

Author Topic: Do you support Trump's tariffs?  (Read 2779 times)
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2018, 12:54:19 PM »

So you enter the dressing rooms at beauty pageants?

What makes you think he wouldn't?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2018, 01:53:32 PM »

So you enter the dressing rooms at beauty pageants?

Who wouldn't want to?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2018, 02:59:26 PM »

People with character as opposed to people who are characters like our Pussygrabber-in-chief.
Ohioguy29

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2018, 02:41:07 PM »

I was initially optimistic about his tariffs. However, he seems to have implemented them very poorly, and waffled on whether there'd be tariffs against Canada and Mexico. I'm irritated that he's tainted the idea of tariffs in liberals' minds, never mind that Obama also had some tariffs. I am kinda impressed he actually followed through on his promises on trade though; thought he was gonna totally ignore them.
Filinovich
AdamFilinovich
Rookie
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2018, 12:57:57 PM »

I'd honestly be interested in seeing a vote on tariffs in Congress. Tariffs seem to be that one lone issue that hasn't been split on partisan lines yet.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2018, 03:31:20 PM »

God no. Free trade is supported by almost every mainstream economist.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2018, 04:07:56 PM »

You'd think Ivana would be angry at all the tariffs slapped on her Chinese made products, except there haven't been any.
Nyssus
Misteeer
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2018, 07:44:14 PM »

No. Trade makes people better off and tariffs lead to trade wars, which hurt everybody.
Izzyeviel
United Kingdom

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2018, 08:44:13 PM »

You'd think Ivana would be angry at all the tariffs slapped on her Chinese made products, except there haven't been any.

I'm sure the God Emperor is especially keen on ensuring the American textile industry suffers so his daughter can prosper and make the Forbes young self-made billionaire club.

Has a population ever benefitted from a trade war?
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2018, 03:12:22 AM »

I am grateful for Trump for discrediting protectionism for another eighty years.  We needed to be reminded of how bad an idea tariffs and trade wars really are.

This. Maybe now that Trump's tariffs fail horribly both the Sanders wing and the Trumpist wing who are taking over the major parties will cease to promote their populist, harmful view Smiley
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2018, 07:24:36 AM »

I am grateful for Trump for discrediting protectionism for another eighty years.  We needed to be reminded of how bad an idea tariffs and trade wars really are.

This. Maybe now that Trump's tariffs fail horribly both the Sanders wing and the Trumpist wing who are taking over the major parties will cease to promote their populist, harmful view Smiley

The Sanders wing does not support tariffs.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2018, 10:09:07 AM »

I do to an extent, and I'm sure some members of the Congressional Progressive Caucus somewhat share my view. I'm sorry but I don't think companies should be able to ship jobs overseas to lower wages  countries oftentimes with fewer environmental regulations when they can be made here just to increase their profit margin and hurt our economy without paying some sort of price. Yet this freaks people out in the establishment. Of course, Trump being the idiot he is has no clue how to manage this without starting a trade war.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2018, 12:31:46 PM »

I do to an extent, and I'm sure some members of the Congressional Progressive Caucus somewhat share my view. I'm sorry but I don't think companies should be able to ship jobs overseas to lower wages  countries oftentimes with fewer environmental regulations when they can be made here just to increase their profit margin and hurt our economy without paying some sort of price. Yet this freaks people out in the establishment. Of course, Trump being the idiot he is has no clue how to manage this without starting a trade war.

There are better ways to penalize companies for moving jobs overseas than to impose tariffs.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2018, 12:06:37 PM »

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2018, 12:09:47 PM »

I oppose Trump's tariffs because he's imposing them in an irresponsible manner. I support free trade in some cases, but not in others. I think trade needs to be fair. Trump's tariffs do not promote fair trade.

This is frankly the BEST that can be said of Trumps tariffs. "Well meaning, but abysmally executed." Im on record in my previous post as opposing tariffs in general, but to quote deadman for the umpteenth time, the Trump Administration couldn't competently plan a picnic.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2018, 02:53:02 PM »

Chinese mercantilism is obviously a problem and you would have to be extremely hackish or stupid to contend that the China-US trade relationship is anywhere near "fair". However, tariffs are not generally the correct solution to this problem, and they certainly should not be the centerpiece of trade strategy.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2018, 10:15:02 PM »

Chinese mercantilism is obviously a problem and you would have to be extremely hackish or stupid to contend that the China-US trade relationship is anywhere near "fair". However, tariffs are not generally the correct solution to this problem, and they certainly should not be the centerpiece of trade strategy.

There is (or was) a multilateral approach we could have taken to deal with China's theft of intellectual property, and it could have been done via channels provided by the World Trade Organization.  

We weren't the only victims.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies