Can the Democrats win a majority of governorships?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:07:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Can the Democrats win a majority of governorships?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Which Republican-held governorships are Democrats favored to flip?
Alaska (I-held)

Arizona

Florida

Georgia

Illinois

Iowa

Kansas

Maine

Maryland

Michigan

Nevada

New Hampshire

New Mexico

Ohio

Oklahoma

Tennessee

Wisconsin

Any Other State

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 60

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Can the Democrats win a majority of governorships?  (Read 1667 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2018, 12:34:12 PM »

Even if they come close but don't, it's still worth considering that 3 of those Republican governors are in states where the Democratic legislature either has veto-proof majorities or has a reasonable shot at having one after this election (Vermont). It's also fair to assume these states will elect a Democratic governor after the Republicans leave office, unless Republicans somehow manage to pull more very popular + strong candidates out of their butts.

So yes, they still hurt the Democrats in terms of their share of governors, and Hogan does have a lot of control over the budget, but who is governor in these states is not as meaningful as it is in other states, all things considered.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2018, 12:49:11 PM »

It can 5,6 or 7.  But, it can be a mix of races: which MI, WI, OH and unpopular Mills is on the ballot giving way to Ben Jealous winning in MD. And NV isn't a sealed deal, either, Laxalt is polling ahead of Sisolak, who isn't the strongest candidate.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2018, 09:08:53 PM »

This isnt Predictit, these arent bets on who is going to win. This forum is a combination of hot take and in depth analysis.

It's a turn of phrase; people are too bullish on Democratic wins in a variety of races. I appreciate you explaining to me what Atlas Forum is about, though. It's not as if I've been a member for going on 15 years.

Georgia-The 50%+1 is a dilemma for Abrams, she either has to win on election day or win the runoff. The thing is that, everything is going her way in the state. The Rs are scandal plagued, the Ds had great turnout in the primaries, and she is leading both candidates in polling(though it is her internals). The runoff gifting the election to the R may not be true. Runoffs usually help the less enthused/more likely to vote faction. This has been the Rs for most of the 21st century, but this is 2018. The state has a slight lean to the right compared to 2008, and the Democrats have done better in the runoffs so far, not to mention the Ds are highly enthused. Its a problem for Stacy, but not an impossible challenge.

Even if we ignore this and especially this at face value, there's still the little matter of the specific claim that "runoffs are going to help the more enthusiastic party". Surely you're not going to argue that 2008 wasn't a wave year for Democrats with lots of enthusiasm, nor that the runoff result was indicative of high Democratic enthusiasm? The runoffs obviously take place after the fact; after the energy has blown its load. By the time/result of the runoff in 2008, you'd be forgiven if you thought it was already 2010.

Especially if Democrats come close in GA (let alone win with a plurality) or take back either/both chambers in Congress, the GOP will be crawling across hot coals to vote in the state - and the coalitions that comprise the Democratic vote-bloc in GA are not comparable to many other states (bluntly, it's not a heavily-white and old electorate). They disproportionately do not turn back out in low-turnout and/or runoff situations.

Not to mention/if you need further evidence of the above:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
[/quote]

LA is incomplete and very well might look different with all the data available (but I'd point out that it too is a heavily-black Democratic electorate). Connecticut is obvious; the state Democratic Party is horribly unpopular there and is experiencing a backlash. GA is the only real anomaly there, but it's not an anomaly because GA Democrats as a whole are terrible at turning out in specials, run-off and low-turnout elections.

Ohio- Ohio polling has shown this race as a tossup, with even Corday leading in the average of polling. The victory by Sherrod Brown could also provide coattails for him. The state has 3 regions with disadvantages, yes, but there are advantages if the Dem can capitalize. This doesnt even consider that Mike Dewine is a rather below average candidate who even Kaisich wont endorse.

Brown's a lock, but to think he's going to generate massive coat-tails for the downballot is dubious at best in such a swingy state. OH statewide and down-ballot Democrats might as well be an extension of the FDP; they have been flubbing it for over a decade and tend to significantly underperform. Cordray isn't exactly Mr. High-Energy, either.

Arizona- I think you missed why there are no 3rd party candidates for the Gubernatorial race.The AZGOP literally tried every trick in the book to have them removed. Now, Ill pose a question. If the race in Arizona was guaranteed for the incumbent, why go to all the trouble? The answer: This race is close. The current governor, Doug Ducey has low approvals, and the state has been hit with Liberal movements such as the teacher protests. The state is also trending D, and the environment favors the likely Democratic nominee, Garcia. And with Sinema, who has been averaging in the high single to double digits in polling, and you have the recipe for an upset.

And I'll pose one back to you: if that maneuver wasn't likely to deliver them the results they wanted, why go to all the trouble?
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2018, 09:43:14 AM »

With the exception of probably Tennessee all of these races are winnable one way or another I’d say.

Though personally I expect Dems to win: Illinois, Ohio, Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona

And primary dependent Florida (if Graham is the Dem nominee) Michigan (If Whitmer is the candidate)

I’m not daring to hope about Wisconsin yet. Same with Iowa. Kansas I think isn’t winnable in a 3 person race. I could see Oklahoma going particularly if Stitt is the GOP Nominee owing to unpopularity. Alaska could go anywhere tbh.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2018, 12:23:12 PM »

Wisconsin will flip before Ohio
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2018, 02:23:32 PM »

Yes, easily.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2018, 02:30:05 PM »
« Edited: July 05, 2018, 02:39:29 PM by Cory Booker »

This is what it will look like 26D-24R's
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2019, 10:44:28 PM »

It's possible; there's a very wide field of possible pick-ups in theory - a majority (20) can be considered competitive. However, I think this could be like 2014 (in general) in that there will end up being a lot of close calls that go GOP in the end. I'd say the odds are less than 50% (but not by much).

I think this (at least in overall numbers for each party) is roughly the best-case scenario that's not approaching outlandish.

Oh come on, Democrats failing to win Ohio (not to mention Iowa, Arizona, or Georgia) is hardly a best case scenario.

Not bad for a prediction made 4 months early
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies