Avenatti
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:48:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Avenatti
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Avenatti  (Read 7142 times)
Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2018, 07:19:43 AM »

Dude won't get past Iowa. He'd be a better campaign manager.

Exactly.  Democrats don't need another Robby Mook to run campaigns.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2018, 08:25:58 AM »

No way. He could be a campaign attack dog and should speak at the DNC, maybe running for congress or statewide office other than governor, but is as of now no presidential material. We can't play games in 2020. We need someone who can beat Trump, and beat him badly.

John Kerry and Edwards were lawyers and couldn't get elected, voters are skeptical of lawyers. He can be a convention delegate

Tell this to Barack Obama.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2018, 11:11:21 AM »

He was on ABC's "This Week" this morning and was asked about policy:

http://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-talk-shows/401440-avenatti-on-2020-campaign-the-truth-is-my-policy-issue

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2018, 02:18:21 PM »

He doesn't have a chance against Booker, but he can help campaign for Dems to be elected in 2020.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2018, 04:00:34 PM »

I think Avanetti has talent as a goon.  Perhaps I am old fashioned, but I prefer our goons to work behind the scenes.  But that doesn't seem to be his style. 
TarHeelDem
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2018, 01:25:30 AM »

He's not necessarily the first person I'd vote for in the primary, but people are underestimating him. "When they go low, we hit back harder" is a stroke of brilliance and the Democratic Party would beenefit from practicing that.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2018, 07:34:14 PM »

NO
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2018, 09:01:42 AM »

Avenatti takes an unusual tack by saying that Dems shouldn't pick the person who'd make the best president.  They should only focus on electability:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/elections/avenatti-s-swagger-stirs-iowa-democrats-n900486

LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2018, 07:15:38 PM »

I think he'll definitely run, but he'll probably go nowhere and drop out after getting half a point in Iowa.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2018, 07:48:27 PM »

He has no appeal whatsoever to black voters.
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2018, 07:52:13 PM »

The notion that Trump’s election means that candidates with no government experience will win and/or will be popular among the Democratic electorate really has no substantiation at this point, and if anything I think that a majority of the Democratic base will more highly value experience and competence following 2016. Have some Democrats expressed support for a “fight fire with fire” strategy? Yes, but I don’t think nearly enough primary voters would actually vote for someone like Avenatti.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2018, 10:09:24 PM »

The notion that Trump’s election means that candidates with no government experience will win and/or will be popular among the Democratic electorate really has no substantiation at this point, and if anything I think that a majority of the Democratic base will more highly value experience and competence following 2016. Have some Democrats expressed support for a “fight fire with fire” strategy? Yes, but I don’t think nearly enough primary voters would actually vote for someone like Avenatti.

He won't be the nominee, I agree with that.  What I think might be something for the Dems to consider though is the possibility that "clown car" type candidates like Avenatti end up stealing enough media oxygen in the primary race that some of the more "serious" candidates don't have as much chance to be heard.  Thus, some candidates might get winnowed out early who wouldn't have been if candidates like Avenatti weren't in the race.
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2018, 07:59:46 AM »

He is absolutely correct that an unabashed progressive ideologue who isn't afraid to get mean is a better option in this day and age than the typical careerists bandied about by political nerds before an election.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2018, 03:10:25 PM »

LOL at anybody who thinks Avenatti will be the Democrats' Trump. Trump had a TV show and a billion-dollar brand. Who the hell cares about this guy?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2018, 10:23:37 PM »

Avenatti released a two page document describing his positions on the issues:

https://twitter.com/MichaelAvenatti/status/1029385486958305280/photo/1
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2018, 08:53:07 PM »

I have seen quite a few people supporting that strategy, especially since there's the common complaint that the Democrats play nice too much.

This might sound like a false equivalency, but I feel that if Avenatti runs in 2020, you'll see a lot of Democratic voters going "finally there's someone who is telling like it is!". Avenatti is giving me serious deja vu, especially with how divided the (hypothetical) 2020 Democratic field with no clear frontrunner, much like what we saw from the GOP prior to 2016.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2018, 10:18:03 AM »

Delaney tweeted what seemed to be a complaint about the media's fixation on Avenatti, and Avenatti responded by saying that any candidate who whines about other candidates getting too much media coverage "should be immediately eliminated":

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/aug/18/michael-avenatti-john-delaney-democrats-iowa-2020

The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2018, 12:25:48 PM »

I really think people are neglecting the effect on other candidates of him being on the debate stage. He'll interrupt and bully other candidates. Avenatti can absolutely make the debates all about him.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2018, 01:01:55 PM »

Delaney tweeted what seemed to be a complaint about the media's fixation on Avenatti, and Avenatti responded by saying that any candidate who whines about other candidates getting too much media coverage "should be immediately eliminated":

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/aug/18/michael-avenatti-john-delaney-democrats-iowa-2020

Literally the Left-wing Trump.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2018, 12:05:49 PM »

Literally the Left-wing Trump.

Oh god we are (still being) doomed
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2018, 12:13:58 PM »

Like him, or Cory Booker would be my choice against Trump, especially should the Dems have a good night in 2018.
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2018, 01:22:08 PM »

If by some series of miracles Avenatti wins the nomination, what are the chances the general election debates get physical?* As someone who wishes to be entertained, I am tempted to root for him based on that.

*With Kasich or whomever off to the side shaking his head and sadly exclaiming "Golly gee folks, this isn't supposed to be what America's about."
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2018, 01:30:09 PM »

Democrats: We Must Stop Trump! #impeach #resist

Some Democrats: Let's run our own version of Trump.

Difference being that Michael Avenatti is not a racist, sexist, misogynistic, homophobic, crude, mentally unstable and psychologically deranged (not to mention a pathological liar) deplorable who brags about grabbing women's genitalia, dog-whistles to white supremacists and neo-Nazis, mocks handicapped people and war veterans, attacks black professional athletes for exercising their First Amendment rights, undermines our democratic institutions, and is Putin's b!tch.
No he just fires female employees for being pregnant
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2018, 03:00:36 PM »

If by some series of miracles Avenatti wins the nomination, what are the chances the general election debates get physical?* As someone who wishes to be entertained, I am tempted to root for him based on that.

*With Kasich or whomever off to the side shaking his head and sadly exclaiming "Golly gee folks, this isn't supposed to be what America's about."
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2018, 07:37:02 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies