Japan still uses hanging as a method of execution
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:19:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Japan still uses hanging as a method of execution
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Japan still uses hanging as a method of execution  (Read 1291 times)
PSOL
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2018, 06:54:47 PM »

But I thought the US was the only civilized country that executes people?

Great news.

Singapore and Taiwan too.
Hmm we got a one party state with the highest salary to a leader that was a son to a dictator, a paragon to look up to.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2018, 07:15:31 PM »

Great news.

Hmm we got a one party state with the highest salary to a leader that was a son to a dictator, a paragon to look up to.

Yes. Singapore is a country that doesn't rig elections, but there's no way on earth the PAP would ever let anything happen. There's freedom of speech, but if you talk bad things about the leaders you'll be prosecuted and crushedsued for libel.

Also, young Lee becoming Prime Minister is especially ironic given Singapore's reputation for "cultivating meritocracy".
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2018, 07:16:48 PM »

Great news.

Yes. Singapore is a country that doesn't rig elections, but there's no way on earth the PAP would ever let anything happen. There's freedom of speech, but if you talk bad things about the leaders you'll be prosecuted and destrotedsued for libel.

Well, there was nothing to rig in their last Presidential election because there was conveniently only 1 candidate.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2018, 07:20:30 PM »

Any swift method of execution, humane to the best of the executioners' ability, seems basically the same to me.  I think a lot of what we do here in the US around executions is an effort to try and distance ourselves from what we're doing - killing our fellow human beings.

I think life imprisonment is always preferable to execution, but I admit that in cases like this, the Nuremberg trials, or that of Vidkun Quisling, I feel a lot of empathy for those who favor execution as a punishment.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2018, 07:22:05 PM »

Great news.

Yes. Singapore is a country that doesn't rig elections, but there's no way on earth the PAP would ever let anything happen. There's freedom of speech, but if you talk bad things about the leaders you'll be prosecuted and destrotedsued for libel.

Well, there was nothing to rig in their last Presidential election because there was conveniently only 1 candidate.

Hell, S. R. Nathan served two full terms, never having to face the election. No other candidate "qualified". The only genuine, not-flawed democracy with history of walkover presidential elections I can think of is Iceland.

I guess the PAP didn't like the way 2011 election turned out. Though largely "withing the family", it was too much of a democratic and oddly competitive affair.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2018, 07:53:10 PM »

Great news.

No one said you had to look up to them, but they are both "civilized" and highly developed countries.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2018, 05:57:18 AM »

Btw, Shoko Asahara's 14-years stay on death row is hardly unusual for Japan. With no fixed timetable, execution can only be carried out after Minister of Justice issues a warrant, which process can't be hurried by anybody. There are cases no Minister signs on, like with Sadamichi Hirasawa, who spent 32 years on the row, due to his case being so controversial no government wanted to touch it. And his wasn't the longest stay either. I think there were cases of people serving over 40 years before dying, still awaiting execution.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies