What were Trump's best highly educated counties?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:24:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  What were Trump's best highly educated counties?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What were Trump's best highly educated counties?  (Read 4191 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2018, 09:42:00 AM »

Well, apparently Trump won 42% of college graduates and 52% of non college graduates, so the gap isn't that huge actually. And since college graduates turn out more than non college graduates your average Trump voter might actually be more educated than your average American. Let that sink in lol.

It seems like wealthy and educated counties have always been more Democratic than actual wealthy and educated people. Romney won 54% of voters earning more than $100k and 48% of college graduates, yet Obama probably won more than half of the wealthiest counties and the vast majority of the most educated counties. Maybe inequality plays a role in these places?

What's even more baffling is the swing in the wealthiest towns. Sure, wealthy counties trended against Trump but Trump usually lost only 5-10% there. There are a lot of places with a median household income of over $200k where Trump lost more than 20% compared to Romney. Darien (loads of Wall Street bankers) went from 65% Romney to 41% Trump. Atherton (wealthiest town in the US) went from 52% Romney to 26% Trump. This while Trump didn't lose out that much with voters earning more than $250k compared to Romney (55% vs 48%). The wealthiest towns obviously are disproportionally located near big cities, so I guess the people working there are much likely to be either professionals in liberal-leaning sectors or people working in very globalized sectors. Your lawyer making $250k probably was a loyal Democrat anyway. The banker making more than $250k probably was a Romney-Clinton voter. But I imagine a wealthy small business owner or a wealthy physician in a mid-sized city was much less appalled by Trump's anti-globalism because they wouldn't really be hurt by it.

One factor is upper middle class people in wealthy (read: often expensive) counties probably don't FEEL upper middle class at all.  But it's easier to just say wealthy county voted Democrat, poor county voted Republican, rich people are becoming Democrats and poor people are becoming Republicans because 1) it's simple, and we like simple stories and 2) it strokes red avatars' egos that being a part of their party, like, says something about who you are or blah blah blah, LOL.

Look at this flawless, beautiful exit poll:

1) What does that have to do with what I said?  You're so weird, LOL.

2) Can you really not contemplate that Virginia might not be the most representative state of "White college grads" or "suburban voters" or whatever other kind of coalition you claim to despise the political views of yet get a raging boner at the thought of them joining the Democrats long term?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2018, 05:41:36 PM »

^That exit poll was so flawless and beautiful I literally orgasmed on the spot.

I partially orgasmed when I saw the NJ gubernatioral election exit polls. NJ cucks massively voted for Hillary clone Phil Murphy but it's good to know that half of people making more than $200k (and 49% of white female college graduates!) rejected feminism and open borders and proudly joined the deplorable army Smiley.

Rich people voting for the Republican Party is not particularly impressive. Hell, the fact that the margin was that small for them winning compared to the usual margin, is actually kind of pathetic.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2018, 07:03:49 PM »

I partially orgasmed when I saw the NJ gubernatioral election exit polls. NJ cucks massively voted for Hillary clone Phil Murphy but it's good to know that half of people making more than $200k (and 49% of white female college graduates!) rejected feminism and open borders and proudly joined the deplorable army Smiley.

Rich people voting for the Republican Party is not particularly impressive. Hell, the fact that the margin was that small for them winning compared to the usual margin, is actually kind of pathetic.

They didn't even vote GOP tbh. They actually voted for Murphy by 1 or 2 Tongue
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2018, 06:57:31 PM »

Pathetic?  As if a “good” or “better” GOP - in your eyes - obviously does better with rich folks?  Me thinks you’d just change your lines of attack on the GOP if that were the case. Wink
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2018, 06:59:15 PM »

Pathetic?  As if a “good” or “better” GOP - in your eyes - obviously does better with rich folks?  Me thinks you’d just change your lines of attack on the GOP if that were the case. Wink

Pathetic in terms of how well they should be appealing to that demographic.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2018, 02:06:40 PM »

Well, apparently Trump won 42% of college graduates and 52% of non college graduates, so the gap isn't that huge actually. And since college graduates turn out more than non college graduates your average Trump voter might actually be more educated than your average American. Let that sink in lol.

It seems like wealthy and educated counties have always been more Democratic than actual wealthy and educated people. Romney won 54% of voters earning more than $100k and 48% of college graduates, yet Obama probably won more than half of the wealthiest counties and the vast majority of the most educated counties. Maybe inequality plays a role in these places?

What's even more baffling is the swing in the wealthiest towns. Sure, wealthy counties trended against Trump but Trump usually lost only 5-10% there. There are a lot of places with a median household income of over $200k where Trump lost more than 20% compared to Romney. Darien (loads of Wall Street bankers) went from 65% Romney to 41% Trump. Atherton (wealthiest town in the US) went from 52% Romney to 26% Trump. This while Trump didn't lose out that much with voters earning more than $250k compared to Romney (55% vs 48%). The wealthiest towns obviously are disproportionally located near big cities, so I guess the people working there are much likely to be either professionals in liberal-leaning sectors or people working in very globalized sectors. Your lawyer making $250k probably was a loyal Democrat anyway. The banker making more than $250k probably was a Romney-Clinton voter. But I imagine a wealthy small business owner or a wealthy physician in a mid-sized city was much less appalled by Trump's anti-globalism because they wouldn't really be hurt by it.

One factor is upper middle class people in wealthy (read: often expensive) counties probably don't FEEL upper middle class at all.  But it's easier to just say wealthy county voted Democrat, poor county voted Republican, rich people are becoming Democrats and poor people are becoming Republicans because 1) it's simple, and we like simple stories and 2) it strokes red avatars' egos that being a part of their party, like, says something about who you are or blah blah blah, LOL.

Yeah, the "a household income of $300,000 doesn't go very far in Bethesda" line. 

King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2018, 02:11:00 PM »

https://archives.cjr.org/the_audit/those_poor_300000_households_i.php
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2018, 02:46:18 PM »

According to http://www.decisionsciencenews.com/2016/04/15/educated-counties-us/

Every county in the Top 25 counties by percentage of people with Bachelors degrees or higher in 2014, swung HRC, and the only county in the Top 25 counties by percentage of people 25 and up with graduate or professional degrees in 2014 to not swing HRC was Story County, Iowa.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2018, 03:13:05 PM »

Probably Riley County, KS.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2018, 08:38:01 PM »

I came here for the purpose of saying Williamson, TN.  Adjusting for cost of living, it's the wealthiest county in America and voted 65% Trump, with Hillary stuck in the 20s.  Sure, it's typically in the low-70s for Republicans (and was 74% GOP in this year's primaries), but it certainly fits the bill.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2018, 04:10:12 AM »

I came here for the purpose of saying Williamson, TN.  Adjusting for cost of living, it's the wealthiest county in America and voted 65% Trump, with Hillary stuck in the 20s.  Sure, it's typically in the low-70s for Republicans (and was 74% GOP in this year's primaries), but it certainly fits the bill.

Williamson County, TN
2012: Romney 72.59 - Obama 26.13 = R+ 46.46
2016: Trump 64.19 - Clinton 29.18 = R+ 35.01
Swing: D+ 11.45

Yeah, the orange clown won it but underperformed Romney bigly. 
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies