What were Trump's best highly educated counties? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:01:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  What were Trump's best highly educated counties? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What were Trump's best highly educated counties?  (Read 4228 times)
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« on: August 01, 2018, 09:09:36 AM »

Well, apparently Trump won 42% of college graduates and 52% of non college graduates, so the gap isn't that huge actually. And since college graduates turn out more than non college graduates your average Trump voter might actually be more educated than your average American. Let that sink in lol.

It seems like wealthy and educated counties have always been more Democratic than actual wealthy and educated people. Romney won 54% of voters earning more than $100k and 48% of college graduates, yet Obama probably won more than half of the wealthiest counties and the vast majority of the most educated counties. Maybe inequality plays a role in these places?

What's even more baffling is the swing in the wealthiest towns. Sure, wealthy counties trended against Trump but Trump usually lost only 5-10% there. There are a lot of places with a median household income of over $200k where Trump lost more than 20% compared to Romney. Darien (loads of Wall Street bankers) went from 65% Romney to 41% Trump. Atherton (wealthiest town in the US) went from 52% Romney to 26% Trump. This while Trump didn't lose out that much with voters earning more than $250k compared to Romney (55% vs 48%). The wealthiest towns obviously are disproportionally located near big cities, so I guess the people working there are much likely to be either professionals in liberal-leaning sectors or people working in very globalized sectors. Your lawyer making $250k probably was a loyal Democrat anyway. The banker making more than $250k probably was a Romney-Clinton voter. But I imagine a wealthy small business owner or a wealthy physician in a mid-sized city was much less appalled by Trump's anti-globalism because they wouldn't really be hurt by it.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 11:23:13 AM »

Well, apparently Trump won 42% of college graduates and 52% of non college graduates, so the gap isn't that huge actually. And since college graduates turn out more than non college graduates your average Trump voter might actually be more educated than your average American. Let that sink in lol.

It seems like wealthy and educated counties have always been more Democratic than actual wealthy and educated people. Romney won 54% of voters earning more than $100k and 48% of college graduates, yet Obama probably won more than half of the wealthiest counties and the vast majority of the most educated counties. Maybe inequality plays a role in these places?

What's even more baffling is the swing in the wealthiest towns. Sure, wealthy counties trended against Trump but Trump usually lost only 5-10% there. There are a lot of places with a median household income of over $200k where Trump lost more than 20% compared to Romney. Darien (loads of Wall Street bankers) went from 65% Romney to 41% Trump. Atherton (wealthiest town in the US) went from 52% Romney to 26% Trump. This while Trump didn't lose out that much with voters earning more than $250k compared to Romney (55% vs 48%). The wealthiest towns obviously are disproportionally located near big cities, so I guess the people working there are much likely to be either professionals in liberal-leaning sectors or people working in very globalized sectors. Your lawyer making $250k probably was a loyal Democrat anyway. The banker making more than $250k probably was a Romney-Clinton voter. But I imagine a wealthy small business owner or a wealthy physician in a mid-sized city was much less appalled by Trump's anti-globalism because they wouldn't really be hurt by it.

One factor is upper middle class people in wealthy (read: often expensive) counties probably don't FEEL upper middle class at all.  But it's easier to just say wealthy county voted Democrat, poor county voted Republican, rich people are becoming Democrats and poor people are becoming Republicans because 1) it's simple, and we like simple stories and 2) it strokes red avatars' egos that being a part of their party, like, says something about who you are or blah blah blah, LOL.

That's true btw. Especially in big cities you have people who make a decent amount of money, but aren't actually wealthy because of high student debt and high rents. But still, that doesn't explain why 90% of really wealthy Romney voters supported Trump while Trump lost more than a third of Romney voters in extremely wealthy towns. I'm specifically talking about really wealthy towns (look at Bloomberg's top 100 wealthiest towns for example), not counties like Fairfax or Hunterdon. I still think it has to do with the fact that these people in extremely wealthy towns mainly work in finance or atleast are heavily connected with the rest of the world in a way a physician or wealthy small business owner in Alabama or Kansas isn't.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 07:30:52 AM »

^That exit poll was so flawless and beautiful I literally orgasmed on the spot.

I partially orgasmed when I saw the NJ gubernatioral election exit polls. NJ cucks massively voted for Hillary clone Phil Murphy but it's good to know that half of people making more than $200k (and 49% of white female college graduates!) rejected feminism and open borders and proudly joined the deplorable army Smiley.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 08:18:16 AM »

I partially orgasmed when I saw the NJ gubernatioral election exit polls. NJ cucks massively voted for Hillary clone Phil Murphy but it's good to know that half of people making more than $200k (and 49% of white female college graduates!) rejected feminism and open borders and proudly joined the deplorable army Smiley.

I'm sorry man, don't feel too bad. ED and inability to finish are common among RINOs

Yes. I guess the climax will come when we win Darien against Bernie in 2020. Or 2024 Cry.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 07:03:49 PM »

Rich people voting for the Republican Party is not particularly impressive. Hell, the fact that the margin was that small for them winning compared to the usual margin, is actually kind of pathetic.

They didn't even vote GOP tbh. They actually voted for Murphy by 1 or 2 Tongue
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies