2004 Gubernatorial Elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:04:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2004 Gubernatorial Elections
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2004 Gubernatorial Elections  (Read 14714 times)
jravnsbo

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 03, 2004, 04:28:46 PM »

A place to start a  discussion of 2004 Gubernatorial Elections.  There will be a number of them to watch.

I am most interested in MO, with a tough Dem primary of the Incumbant Gov, Bob Holden.

Many other ones to watch such as MT and NC
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2004, 09:50:56 PM »

i don't really know much about these
perhaps someone could post some info about them
Yeah--who is running, and where?
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2004, 09:07:35 AM »

Here's a good link on this year's gubernatorial races:

http://www.townhall.com/election2004/governor_analysis.html
jravnsbo

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2004, 09:56:43 AM »

and here is Mr Sabato's thoughts on it:

http://www.centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/gov_main.htm
NHPolitico

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2004, 04:48:25 PM »

A place to start a  discussion of 2004 Gubernatorial Elections.  There will be a number of them to watch.

I am most interested in MO, with a tough Dem primary of the Incumbant Gov, Bob Holden.

VT could be interesting, but they have a history of giving governors a full 4 years. The mayor of Burlington, Progressive Party-ite Peter Clavelle,  is running as a Dem. He's trailing 44-33 according to a Research 2000 poll last October for Vermont's CBS station WCAX. Also running against the mayor in the primary is Peter Shumlin, the 2002 Dem nominee for Lt. Governor.  A Peter will win the nomination either way. If Clavelle gets it, it's unclear if he'd be any kind of party loyalist-- supporting all other Dems on the ballot. Shumlin is the establishment choice.
jravnsbo

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2004, 05:41:03 PM »

Clavelle sounds like Dean, unsure if he'll support the rest if not nominated.[

VT could be interesting, but they have a history of giving governors a full 4 years. The mayor of Burlington, Progressive Party-ite Peter Clavelle,  is running as a Dem. He's trailing 44-33 according to a Research 2000 poll last October for Vermont's CBS station WCAX. Also running against the mayor in the primary is Peter Shumlin, the 2002 Dem nominee for Lt. Governor.  A Peter will win the nomination either way. If Clavelle gets it, it's unclear if he'd be any kind of party loyalist-- supporting all other Dems on the ballot. Shumlin is the establishment choice.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
btn4041

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2004, 10:56:54 PM »

There is no doubt that Holden is in serious trouble here in Missouri.  He has been unpopular from the get go.  His first mistake was holding an
inauguration that cost $1 million.  The state always pays $125,000, but he raised the rest.  This didn't go over too well given the state's budget problems.  Of course the biggest problem is his bad luck of gaining the office just as the economy tanked.  Any how he faces a tough primary challenge from state auditor Claire Mccaskil.  His GOP opponent will be secretary of state Matt Blunt.  Blunt's only 33. He served one term in the Missouri house and then got elected Sec. of State against a weak opponent.  It will be interesting, because Blunt has never really ran a "real" race. His house seat was safe GOP and he had a huge war chest against an under funded opponent in the Sec. of State's race.  The last poll I saw had Blunt ahead of Holden by 2 points and Mccaskil ahead of Blunt by 2 points.  I would be willing to dump Holden in the primary if Mccaskil would have a better chance of saving the seat.  
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2004, 04:30:41 AM »

Dean's no Progressive
NHPolitico

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2004, 11:52:01 AM »

He's everything to all people.  Even Clintonites are starting to see the writing on the wall and talking about what a logical continuation of Bill's legacy that Dean is.
nonluddite

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2004, 01:10:22 PM »

IN should also be interesting.  There you have a liberal Democrat with 1 year incumbancy, who took over for a conservative Democrat, in a Conservative state.  

IN will go Republican.
jravnsbo

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2004, 07:43:33 PM »

Keep us up to date if you would.  I think Holden is weak and will lose somewhere, if primary or general election.  As a GOP backer I think that it would be better if he survived the primary, which still has to favor him, which is still where betting money is as hardly ever does party throw out its incumbant, shows they had a bad administration.

There is no doubt that Holden is in serious trouble here in Missouri.  He has been unpopular from the get go.  His first mistake was holding an
inauguration that cost $1 million.  The state always pays $125,000, but he raised the rest.  This didn't go over too well given the state's budget problems.  Of course the biggest problem is his bad luck of gaining the office just as the economy tanked.  Any how he faces a tough primary challenge from state auditor Claire Mccaskil.  His GOP opponent will be secretary of state Matt Blunt.  Blunt's only 33. He served one term in the Missouri house and then got elected Sec. of State against a weak opponent.  It will be interesting, because Blunt has never really ran a "real" race. His house seat was safe GOP and he had a huge war chest against an under funded opponent in the Sec. of State's race.  The last poll I saw had Blunt ahead of Holden by 2 points and Mccaskil ahead of Blunt by 2 points.  I would be willing to dump Holden in the primary if Mccaskil would have a better chance of saving the seat.  
jravnsbo

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2004, 07:44:45 PM »

Nice quote!

Yes I think Mitch Daniels will be the next Governor of Indiana!

IN should also be interesting.  There you have a liberal Democrat with 1 year incumbancy, who took over for a conservative Democrat, in a Conservative state.  

IN will go Republican.
NHPolitico

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2004, 08:02:49 PM »

IN will go Republican.

Kernan has a terrific bio and he's already won as a supposed liberal.  I think he's the odd's on favorite. Still, this is an election referendum if there ever was one. If Indiana doesn't want to try GOP leadership in Indianapolis after all this time of one-party rule, it won't matter who's on the ballot.  Daniels is a solid candidate. If the voters want change, he's a person they can change to and only think of change in terms of direction and not ability.
NHPolitico

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2004, 08:10:48 PM »

With the demographics of the state, I think Democrats are always competitive. They probably start at about 40% and they just have to pick up the rest.   I think even Holden would be competitive. Blunt will have to fight hard.
DarthKosh

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2004, 08:08:18 PM »

He's no centrist either.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2004, 02:55:19 PM »

With the demographics of the state, I think Democrats are always competitive. They probably start at about 40% and they just have to pick up the rest.   I think even Holden would be competitive. Blunt will have to fight hard.

By the same token, Republicans start with slightly more than 40% in Missouri.  Margins tend to be 51% to 49% or even closer, but Republicans win the 51% about 60% of the time - we've had a few more GOP senators and governors than Dems for the last couple of decades.  This moribund old state changes only very slowly, but is trending just slightly more GOP over the years.  

I actually haven't been in the US for 5 months or so, so I can't report on the mood in MO directly, but all that I hear is that Holden is unpopular - certainly he was barely elected the first time.  Its going to come down to another typical landslide for the Democrat in St. Louis and a landslide for the Republican in the rural and suburban parts of the state, balancing out to neary 50/50.  It could easily be influenced by Bush getting (I predict) a breakout, for Missouri, 52-53%.  The Blunt family name is well known in the state, certainly positive in the non-urban parts.
NHPolitico

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2004, 09:49:11 AM »

By the same token, Republicans start with slightly more than 40% in Missouri.  Margins tend to be 51% to 49% or even closer, but Republicans win the 51% about 60% of the time - we've had a few more GOP senators and governors than Dems for the last couple of decades.  This moribund old state changes only very slowly, but is trending just slightly more GOP over the years.  

I actually haven't been in the US for 5 months or so, so I can't report on the mood in MO directly, but all that I hear is that Holden is unpopular - certainly he was barely elected the first time.  Its going to come down to another typical landslide for the Democrat in St. Louis and a landslide for the Republican in the rural and suburban parts of the state, balancing out to neary 50/50.  It could easily be influenced by Bush getting (I predict) a breakout, for Missouri, 52-53%.  The Blunt family name is well known in the state, certainly positive in the non-urban parts.

Well, I do predict Blunt  will win even if Claire beats Bob in the primary.  Mainly because of Bush's coattails.
jravnsbo

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2004, 04:48:04 PM »

when is the MO primary ?  It can't be Feb 3 for governor, is it, like the presidential one?  That seems too soon.

btn4041

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2004, 01:01:26 AM »

The primary for Governor in Missouri will be August 3, 2004
NHPolitico

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2004, 09:36:52 AM »

I wonder about the dynamics of that.  Whether a delay to August will help or hurt Holden.
DarthKosh

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2004, 01:38:24 PM »

I wonder about the dynamics of that.  Whether a delay to August will help or hurt Holden.

It will proble hurt him if barely wins his primary.
jravnsbo

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2004, 02:15:23 PM »

August, that's great for GOP.  I long primary battle plus they can run against the poor record that Gov Holden has demonstrated for a long time.
jravnsbo

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2004, 03:01:25 PM »

2006 race, but didn't want to make  thread for one article.  Run chcuk run, I'd love to get him out of the senate, then he could just ruin NY instea dof fthe whole country.

Schumer's future
    Sen. Charles E. Schumer, New York Democrat, "has told friends in recent days that he's now 'seriously interested' in running for governor in 2006," the New York Post's Fredric U. Dicker writes.
    "The Brooklyn-based Schumer, stepping up his focus on a race that was once of little interest, made the declaration in a one-on-one conversation with a New York City political operative, said a knowledgeable Democratic Party insider.
    " 'He said he was "seriously interested" in running for governor,' said the insider, who has strong Washington ties.
    "Schumer's declaration came at about the same time a Marist College poll showed him with a sizable 54 to 29 percent lead among Democrats over Attorney General Eliot Spitzer, an all-but-certain gubernatorial contender," Mr. Dicker said.
    "Party insiders say Schumer, who is expected to win an easy re-election victory in November, is increasingly nervous that Democrats will lose at least four to six Senate seats in the November election, and possibly even more if former Vermont Gov. Howard Dean is the nominee.
    " 'He's making it clear that his ability to block judges, to be effective the way he thinks he should be, could come to an end after the election,' said a source close to Senate Democrats."

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2004, 09:22:34 AM »

Just one note - you're absolutely right the Democrats start with at least 40%, but so do the Republicans.  In fact I think both start with about 46% as you don't see many elections won more decisively than this in MO.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies