Legislation: Declaration of Rights Amendments, 1789 (Passed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 01:07:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  Legislation: Declaration of Rights Amendments, 1789 (Passed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Legislation: Declaration of Rights Amendments, 1789 (Passed)  (Read 873 times)
Galaxie

« on: July 09, 2018, 02:11:15 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

I do ask, if we are willing to codify that no citizen may be put in involuntary servitude if they have committed a crime, then how are we unwilling to codify that no innocent man or woman in this nation should be subject to it either? We are writing a document to protect the people of this nation, something that is codified in the 20th clause. How, then, are we still willing to sit idly by of the chaining and dehumanizing of our fellow man, even if his skin is of a different shade than ours?

We as the first leaders of this great nation and constitution have a duty to create a government that is truly fair and truly an example to all others. It is laughable that we believe to be true fore bearers of liberty when we also dispense the chains.

I yield.
Galaxie

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 02:34:12 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

Truly it is a shame that the Gentleman from Georgia must revert to such childish and outlandish insults of his peers, especially for suggesting ideas as seemingly "radical" as the true ending of involuntary servitude and the liberation of our fellow man.

While it may seem, myself being from the North, that I and my peers come from a different "world," as Mr. Jackson has suggested, it is only because our world, and our politics for that matter, is not sullied by the regressive and dangerous ideology that these so-called "Patriots" espouse.

Truly, if Mr. Jackson is so uncaring for these basic human rights, I truly pray he does not find himself in charge of ours.

I yield. 
Galaxie

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 10:42:57 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

While this Delegate is opposed to the institution of slavery, it is clear that for the unity of this Nation of ours that our current system -- a divided one -- must remain in place.

It is for this reason that I will not be supporting The Hon. Jay's amendment to outlaw the institution of Slavery. So long as slaves are fairly taxed, and not counted towards the populations of these states that do consider them property, may the institution continue by those who wish to continue it.

I yield.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies