The Crusader (Public Service Announcement)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:32:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Crusader (Public Service Announcement)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15
Author Topic: The Crusader (Public Service Announcement)  (Read 26463 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 09, 2018, 02:33:24 AM »
« edited: February 18, 2024, 02:02:00 PM by Lumine »

Editorial Info: Modified and relaunched after a brief hiatus, The Crusader makes its return to Atlasia no longer a newspaper but as an evolved news platform which is meant to better grasp the wider focus that goes from stories to interviews, to scandal-breaking, to election results coverage.

The Crusader, still the property of former President Lumine and of Reuental Media Group (RMG), has also undergone some changes into its editorial line to move beyond the original "center-right leaning" roots into a more pro-reform and independent-minded line, maintaining its interest on having interviews across the political spectrum while seeking to include more political satire and pledging to take extra precautions on leaks and scandal-breaking following some unfortunate manipulation in the past.

Former President Lumine as editor makes it clear he takes full responsibility for published content outside of interview comments or guest editorials (which we will be happy to publish), including memes of satirical comments presented by The Crusader. As always, The Crusader will not pretend to be 100% objective or impartial on its reporting (something we don't actually wish to be).
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 02:35:38 AM »

The Crusader will be opening later on with an editorial, news and our first poll. Should any Atlasian be interested in becoming one of our first interviewees for the relaunch, you know where to find me.
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 09:16:46 AM »

Endorsed!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 12:48:54 AM »
« Edited: July 10, 2018, 12:49:19 PM by Lumine »

What Comes Next?
Federalist domination almost the longest in history

Editorial, by Lumine

The inaguration of the Yankee / DFW team in the White House a couple of days ago (a most curious couple on account of history) was historic for several reasons, but one of them may have been missed by most of the population. Ever since Atlasia was founded the nation has undergone several periods of single-party domination in terms of elections, usually by the leading party of the left or the center left. It has gone on and on to the point in which the domination of the Jesus Christ Party (JCP) at the end of the last decade led to widespread party dissolution and the introduction of a new system between Labor, the Liberals and the Federalists, which in turn led to the system we have to day.

With the Labor Party gaining the upper hand above the Federalists and managing the feat of sixteen consecutive months in government under Bore (ending in Bloody July) and Griffin (ending with the Fourth Constitution), our new system was born once the tables turned and the once zombified Federalists not only won the White House back, they held it with an unprecedented level of electoral victories with only the brief Truman and Blair presidencies (almost two years ago!) as the sole center-left administrations of this most curious party system which, while offering a far wider offer in terms of parties than the old Labor/Federalist Party system, has proven even more opressive in terms of White House domination.

And that is because as of July the Federalist Party has broken two historic hallmarks: it has surpassed the Jesus Christ Party and the Labor Party in terms of longest continuous control of the White House (both boasting 16 months as their record, opposed to the Federalists's 18 and counting), and it has also surpassed the Labor Party in overall control over the White House, having surpassed Labor's total of 30 months in office. Even more surprising, before the Yankee Presidency is over the Federalist Party will actually surpass the grand total of the Jesus Christ Party on its existence of 32 months holding the White House, and it will do so after the midterms.

We are, as these words are written, in uncharted territory. Never has a party ruled the Republic continously for so long and the main opposition (whether of the Labor Party or the Progressive Union) proved so continously unsuccessful in regaining the White House from the dominant party, falling in third in already two of the last three Presidental Elections. It is therefore most curious that despite this long dominance Atlasia hasn't necessarily changed all that much, or seen many dramatic policy developments beyond a war which most of the population is surprisingly silent on (even successive administrations haven't said much despite working on the issue).

So the question is, what comes next? Shall Federalist domination go on and on for months and months to go? Shall the "opposition" win an election anytime soon? And if it does continue, will it take on a more centrist or right-wing form? Will it drop policy entirely in favor of friendship votes? Or drop friendship votes in exchange for policy? Dissolution of our current party system certainly must be ruled out as viable on account of the historic refusal of certain individuals to ever let a political party die and be replaced, and so, where does Atlasia go from here?

Records have been broken, and with a President and Vice-President in office with every intention to complete their terms without problems it doesn't look likely that such records will end anytime soon. It will be most curious to see just what exactly the dominant Federalism does with that record moving on.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 01:04:42 AM »

In the News:
July 10th, 2018

New leadership for the House of Representatives

Speaker Pericles
After a close 5-4 vote, past (and bitter) rivals Pericles and Fhtagn become Speaker and Deputy Speaker,
Mr. Reactionary re-elected PPT without opposition

War Powers Amendment on the Rise
With seemingly broad consensus in the House and a so far 4-1 vote in the Senate,
last surviving measure of the "Sulla Plan" may reach the public yet

Attorney General resigns, Dereich nominated
After the sudden departure of Attorney General TJ,
Yankee picks former Justice Dereich to fill the vacancy
Confirmation hearings likely to be successful

Abortion continues at the Forefront
Sudden push for pro-life legislation continues in the South,
some methods restricted, sale of fetal tissue to be banned

Drug debate at Fremont
Attempt to legalize drugs such as cocaine heavily amended by Parliament,
potential passage of new version left to next House of Commons
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 01:19:35 AM »
« Edited: July 10, 2018, 01:21:54 AM by Lumine »

The inaguration of the Yankee / DFW team in the White House a couple of weeks ago (a most curious couple on account of history) was historic for several reasons, but one of them may have been missed my most of the population.
When did "five days" become "a couple of weeks"?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 01:22:20 AM »

Silly me, it was meant to read days!

(almost edited that post by accident, my apologies)
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 08:10:15 AM »

Great article!
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 12:32:00 PM »

Speaker Pericles
After a close 5-4 vote, past (and bitter) rivals Pericles and Fhtagn become Speaker and Deputy Speaker

(just wait for the Pericles/fhtagn Presidential ticket)

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2018, 02:53:30 AM »

Discord Poll:
Broad use of Discord among Atlasians, but a predominantly negative view is held

Do you use Discord for Atlasia-related matters?

YES: 65%%
NO: 35%

On the whole, do you think Discord is currently a positive or a negative part of Atlasia?

NEGATIVE: 50%
UNDECIDED: 25%
POSITIVE: 25%%

In your opinion, has the influence of Discord on the game been worse or better than the IRC once had?

NEVER KNEW IRC: 30%
UNDECIDED: 30%
WORSE: 15%
BETTER: 15%%

To you knowledge, have you ever been a victim of negative behavior in or from Discord?

NO: 40%
YES: 30%%
UNDECIDED: 30%

Should a large part of Atlasia-related gameplay be conducted in Discord or via instant messaging?

NO: 70%
YES: 15%%
UNDECIDED: 15%

Should official business such as votes be conducted via Discord?

NO: 85%
UNDECIDED: 10%
YES: 5%%

What is the first word that comes to mind when it comes to Discord and Atlasia?

Drama (4)
*shrugs*
Cancer
Communication
Leaks
N/A
Me losing my Senate seat
Opportunity
Pathetic
Poisonous
Scandal
Strategy
Taken too seriously
Transparency
Bullying
Confusion
Cringe

What would you say is Discord's greatest advantage?

Ease of communication
Ability to engage in discussions on policy etc at a faster pace
N/A
Everyone is equal when the patients run the madhouse.
Holding detailed conversations
It is more versatile than IRC.
Allows for better communication among party leadership and members
Messages are instant
fast
It is easy to access and most of Discord is non-atlasia
Speed and efficiency
none
Real time responds
Instant communication
Less formal than the forum.
real time communication
Coordination within politics parties during elections.
Real time communication
None
Edibles 4 kids

And what is Discord's greatest drawback?

People I don't like are there and people I like aren't there
Addictiveness. Also this kind of "spirit of sabotage" we've been seeing.
N/A
Do talentless Machiavellian wannabes really need a bullhorn? I think not.
Controlled by cliques
Like with #Atlasforum on IRC, the potential for cliques, but as of yet Discord has not reach the levels of villainy that dripped like the blood of corpses of the July Anarchy out of #Atlasforum. No Region has been held hostage by terrorists, and no game threatened by a wide ranging Anarchist movement populated a group congregated on Discord.
Atlas drama and potential for abuse
Messages are instant
doesn't give you time to think about what you're saying like a post on the forum does
You aren't on it Tongue
Not everyone has access
Transparency
confusing
Increase in gossip
The cults that form around certain charismatic individuals.
toxic environment
Dumb lawsuits.
Memes
Lack of transparency
Tupac is alive and well
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2018, 08:47:25 AM »

Interesting!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2018, 02:09:15 PM »

Bedlam in the West:
Fremontians reflect on Senate Race

wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2018, 02:14:57 PM »

The moment you posted this, I was watching Star Trek. Perfect Tongue
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 01:11:45 AM »

Meanwhile, in the Oval Office:
Administration takes bold action

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2018, 01:15:02 AM »

I don't fancy the administration succumbing to the perils of ministerial leapfrog.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2018, 01:16:22 AM »

I don't fancy the administration succumbing to the perils of ministerial leapfrog.

Your prerogative, Mr. President, most certainly.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2018, 01:22:25 AM »

While I do respect the nature of this game, real life always comes first by a mile for me: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=279443.msg6317019#msg6317019.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2018, 01:27:35 AM »

I would like to take this moment to announce I'm not deregistering after Yankee's Presidency now Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2018, 01:50:48 AM »

While I do respect the nature of this game, real life always comes first by a mile for me: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=279443.msg6317019#msg6317019.

You misunderstood my intentions and my designs Transit. If a person needs to leave for RL or other important reasons I fully understand and support that decision but like I said a minute ago on chat, that person would be resigning anyway and thus the EO has not effect on them obviously.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2018, 01:51:54 AM »

You misunderstood my intentions and my designs Transit. If a person needs to leave for RL or other important reasons I fully understand and support that decision but like I said a minute ago on chat, that person would be resigning anyway and thus the EO has not effect on them obviously.

Oh, that makes sense.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2018, 01:58:25 AM »

At the end of the day this is an elections game with an attached government simulator. To the extent that dueling is a part of it can on a limited basis serve to cause some intrigue and such forth but at the end of the day the people vote for officeholders with some reasonable expectation of them serving out their terms and people are appointed to positions likewise under the assumption they will carry out a specific task for a duration of time. Things happen and things change in a heart beat, having recently suffered the loss of a relative and also having endured repeated health issues myself, I understand this more than anyone and no one should think otherwise.

However, this should not give license to people who engage in and accept duels while also holding down these positions unless they have already resigned or are planning to resign anyway (and again then the EO doesn't' apply obviously), but in the alternative scenario where someone needlessly is risking their obligation I have a right to ask for their resignations and seek out people who will serve the public interest.

That is why I said in the first several duels that it was a conflict of interest for me, to vote more or less engage in them, because there is no way I can remain true to my oath while subjecting myself to such terms. I have been rather consistent on this point.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2018, 11:12:35 PM »

The Centrists are Coming!
Centre Party achieves majority in Fremont Parliament

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2018, 03:00:27 AM »

The Art of Dueling

Editorial, by Lumine

Much has been said about dueling these days, much of it unsurprisingly negative.

A proposal on the table for a while until it became law, the first attempts at dueling back in 2013 proved a failure as those challenged made a decision not to accept the challenges even when matters of honor were involved, and so it fell to our present era to see dueling reintroduced but lay dormant until now. It has only been a few days since dueling re-entered the stage with an important social mission - not the one it's meant to have, but a social mission nonetheless -, and in the course of it we've seen fascinating, memorable and rather fun gameplay events as a select group of brave, honourable men and women have embraced dueling and fought duels of serious risk and serious consequence.

So, assuming the reader is well aware of these events, why should I be describing them today? Well, because I think some have taken it upon themselves to give dueling a far more negative meaning that it really should have, and because others have fundamentally ignored its meaning and purpose to create bastardized, risk-free versions unworthy of being considered - or even described as dueling. Dueling, my friends, is a historical tradition with centuries of rich history among men of honor, men who believed dignity and respect were worth fighting for, even worth dying for against foes who did not - or would not - display the basic amount of respect a gentleman of honor and respect was entitled to. It harkens back to the glory of single combat and the countless stories of heroes, of men of great renown.

This may sound like an excessive glorification of past, but it seems to me that dueling strikes right at the heart of the single biggest problem with the Republic of Atlasia in the past, in the dull and uninspiring present, and in the grim future that awaits us under continued single-party dominance: the lack of consequences. Evidently, any Atlasian politician which antagonizes his friends or whoever supplies the votes is bound to face electoral consequences and political ruin, but unless the players stop voting for you, you can be certain that you can act away and never face the realistic sort of consequences that would emerge in a better designed simulation. To be hypothetical, you can drive the economy into a cliff or start World War III and still be re-elected and face no punishment if you hold onto enough numbers of voters.

The same applies to political discourse. If you have enough friends to shut down any noise and fill the airwaves with whatever narrative you want (or hound players who disagree with you), you face few restraints other than the Terms of Service when it comes to what you can say about another player. Unsurprisingly, you'll find no shortage of players who won't think twice to smear or resort to the most unacceptable insults because they don't seem to think they have to face the results. Why does this connect to dueling? Because here is a tool which can be wielded for people to respond when their honor is questioned, and one that can generate consequences, real and lasting consequences which extend beyond the popularity contest. Dueling, my friends, can be a net positive in ensuring our civil discourse becomes a bit more civil and restrained, allowing those who are victims - or feel insulted - to fight back through legal, hopefully socially-accepted means.

That is not say, of course, that dueling has been given that positive sense these days. As it stands, due to the apparent lack of legal deregistration dueling is your only legally-safe way to leave the game through the old deregistration concept, and as long as it remains the only way it is only right that Atlasians who have grown tired of the game take advantage of it to solve their dilemma. That is an important social function for the game, and if people may wish to stand against the idea of deregistration then by all means, let dueling serve said purpose until the old process is brought back to life.

But dueling can mean a lot more. Dueling should not be a tool for you to get rid of someone with a transparent, silly plot. Dueling shout not be subject to the indignity of a "challenge" in which you change your registration - something people already do for a few laughs -. Dueling could, and should, be a way to improve our political discourse and a sense of civility and honor, and to restrain those who feel entitled to the truth and entitled to hounding players out of the game by giving those insulted a chance to fight for the sake of their basic dignity and their sense of honor.

Whether Atlasia will ever give them said meaning, and whether people will actually have the courage to fight for their honor once the deregistration crisis is solved is yet to be seen, and there's reason to believe dueling may be ignored by those unwilling to face consequences over actions. But there is a positive, useful road ahead for this tradition, and all we require is the courage to be willing to explore it and see were it leads us.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2018, 11:41:36 AM »

This may sound like an excessive glorification of past, but it seems to me that dueling strikes right at the heart of the single biggest problem with the Republic of Atlasia in the past, in the dull and uninspiring present, and in the grim future that awaits us under continued single-party dominance: the lack of consequences. Evidently, any Atlasian politician which antagonizes his friends or whoever supplies the votes is bound to face electoral consequences and political ruin, but unless the players stop voting for you, you can be certain that you can act away and never face the realistic sort of consequences that would emerge in a better designed simulation. To be hypothetical, you can drive the economy into a cliff or start World War III and still be re-elected and face no punishment if you hold onto enough numbers of voters.

BINGO.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2018, 08:45:35 PM »

Do you intend to offer an apology for those you have previously maligned? Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies