An Inconvenient Truth: Al Gore 2000
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:36:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  An Inconvenient Truth: Al Gore 2000
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: An Inconvenient Truth: Al Gore 2000  (Read 3398 times)
OSR STANDS WITH PALESTINE
NOTTYLER
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 17, 2018, 11:45:13 AM »

BY NOTTYLER AND PMASTA
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 01:24:15 PM »

The following is an interview with Former President Gore...

Maddow-Thank you for doing this Mr. President!

Gore-My pleasure.

Maddow- let's start off with some easy questions. How are you?

Gore- I am quite well, thank you. I have enjoyed my retirement from active politics. I have struck a balance between spending time with Tipper and the grandkids while still fighting against climate change. Life is good.

Maddow- Looking back on your presidency, is there anything you regret?

Gore-I try my best to not think about what could have been. That being said, I do wish I pushed more aggressively to combat climate change, and not let Republicans get in my way.

Maddow-So what do you think about the fact that many conservatives still consider your 2000 election invalid and rigged?

Gore- I do understand how one could see that. However, I won the count after the SCOTUS ruled 5-4 that counting would continue in Florida, and one of there own in Sandra Day O'Connor was the deciding vote. That is all I'll say.

Maddow- Once again, thank you for coming on.

Gore-Of course.

NOTTYLER
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 07:17:49 PM »

On the eve of Election Night

The Vice President sat in his campaign headquarters next to the president. Both of them had just returned from voting. He turns to the president:
“Hey Bill?”
The president looks at him: “Yes Al?”
Al said: “I’m worried. The polls are pretty much a dead heat. What if we lose?”
Bill replies: “We won’t. That damn buffoon will never be president. He can’t even talk.”
Al thought to himself But What If I did? Meh, let’s not worry
Al turns on the tv, awaiting the election coverage...
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 08:15:57 PM »

The election results so far were largely a wash. The later it got, the more clear it became that this election would come down to Florida. This was made clear with Tim Russert's famous "Florida, Florida, Florida!"(picture) Early in the night, Fox had called it for Budh, while NBC called it for Gore. However, both moved it back into the "too close to call" column. The question was whether Gore could keep the margins down in the Panhandle while crushing in the remaining democratic vote in Broward, Miami-Dade, and Palm Beach...

It was morning, and both candidates could barely get any sleep. New Mexico was still yet to call, as was all-important Florida. Gore led by a handful of votes, and it was unclear how the remaining votes would go. On the 17th of November, New Mexico was called for Gore, which was insignificant now.
A few days after that, Florida was finally called... For Gore, by a total of one vote. Bush conceded on that day, saying it was "for the good of the country"...

NOTTYLER
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 08:55:26 AM »

George W. Bush concession speech

“Hello America! Hasn’t this been a crazy campaign season? I’d like to start off by thanking everyone who voted for me this year. I love you all. I just called Vice President Gore to concede the election. *crowd boos*
Now, don’t boo. I know Al and I have our differences, but it was for the good of the country that one of us concedes. I wish Al the best of luck for the next four years. Remember, we may have lost tonight, but there is always 2004! God bless y’all, and God bless America!”
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 02:49:43 PM »
« Edited: July 21, 2018, 02:54:08 PM by Representative-Elect politicalmasta73 »

map-

Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2018, 03:19:33 PM »

Why didn’t gore pick Menendez for VP?
NOTTYLER
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 05:27:24 PM »

Too Short

Gore Victory Speech

“Hello My Fellow Americans! Thank you all for coming out and voting for me. This was about the craziest election I ever saw. But we won. That means, all of you won. For the next four, hopefully eight, years, we will make tremendous progress. We are going to protect the environment. I already spoke with Governor Bush, and thanked him for the challenge of this campaign. I also said I wish him the best of luck with whatever he does! Now, America, let us unite, and be a stronger country! God bless you all!”
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2018, 07:13:13 PM »

How tall is Menendez?
NOTTYLER
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2018, 07:59:49 PM »

Short
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2018, 08:02:39 PM »

Haha okay. I ask because I'm considered short, yet I see people categorize people that are still taller than me as short. Tom Cruise for instance is 5'7'' inches tall to my knowledge. I'm 5'5", so him being considered short is kind of alien to me. I don't know, it's a pet peeve I guess.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2018, 11:17:23 AM »

I think you got the wrong Electoral map since, for example, Florida had 25 electoral votes in 2000 not 29 like today.

But this timeline is interesting. Keep it on.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2018, 05:28:51 PM »

I think you got the wrong Electoral map since, for example, Florida had 25 electoral votes in 2000 not 29 like today.

But this timeline is interesting. Keep it on.
thanks. also, since you mention it, Gore does much better in the Mountain West in this TL. He only loses CO by 4.

Cabinet
Secretary of Defense-Sam Nunn
Attorney General-Jamie Gorelick
Secretary of the Treasury-James Johnson
Secretary of Labor-Donna Brazile
Secretary of Education- Jim Hunt
Secretary of Health and Human Services-Colin Powell
Secretary of State-Dick Holbrooke
Director of National Intelligence
Secretary of Energy-Ed Pastor
Secretary of Housing and Urban Development-Norman Mineta
Secretary of Transportation-Rodney Slater
Secretary of Interior-Ben Nighthorse Campbell
Secretary of Agriculture-Charles Stenholm
Secretary of Veterans Affairs-Wesley Clark
Director, Office of Management and Budget (OMB)-Bill Bradley
Administrator, Environmental Protection Agency-
UN Ambassador-Jim Sasser
Small Business Administration-Donald Trump
US Trade Representative-Tom Downey
 Chief of Staff- Bill Daley
National Security Advisor-Leon Furth
Communications Director-George Stephanoupolos
Press Secretary-Jake Siewert
Senior advisers-Hillary Clinton, Paul Begala, James Carville
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2018, 06:26:56 PM »

how does Gore lose Iowa, which he won OTL?
NOTTYLER
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2018, 06:38:59 PM »

Iowa trends more republican due to the evangelicals there, Gore takes a liberal position on Same sex marriage= Loss of Iowa
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2018, 09:20:59 PM »

Why would Hillary give up the Senate seat she just won to be a Senior Advisor?
NOTTYLER
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2018, 09:42:10 PM »

Cuz she dummmmmmb
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2018, 08:12:41 PM »

2000 Senate Races

guliani opted to run. I made a senate county map too, let me if you wanna see it
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2018, 03:50:44 PM »

Cuz she dummmmmmb

That’s not a reason
NOTTYLER
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2018, 06:57:05 PM »

Al Gore’s Inauguration!
Janurary 20th, 2001
Attendence: 1.5 Million

President-Elect Gore and his wife Tipper, with outgoing President Bill Clinton and First Lady Hillary Clinton

First, Vice President-Elect Joe Lieberman of Connecticut was inaugurated
Then, Al was inaugurated.
“I, Albert Arnold Gore, do solemnly swear, that I will faithfully execute the office of the President Of The United States of America, and will, to the best of my ability, preserve, protect, and defend the constitution of the United States”

Gore then gave his Inaugural speech.
“My Fellow Americans. Thank you all so much for being here, the largest crowd of any presidential inauguration ever. That makes me so happy. Ladies and gentlemen, let us remember how important Unity is. Let us come together as a country and as a people, to fix all the issues surrounding us. The biggest one being Protecting the environment. We will take the initiative in fighting climate change. We need to establish a better relationship with all of our allies.
We need to update our infrastructure, and fight to be an accepting and loving country. Thank you all, and I love you.”

Bruce Springsteen performed at the inauguration, his biggest crowd ever

Springsteen was grateful to have such a large crowd

Afterwards, Al and Tipper danced at the inaugural ball, as did Bill and Hillary.

This was truly the beginning of a new century, decade, and a better path for America.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2018, 10:11:07 PM »

Gore goes into office with a new found level of confidence. He won an election he was expected to lose. He won on his own message, not just taking off Clinton. He used this new found confidence to pass a bill shoring up SS, which narrowly passed the Senate by a vote of 50+VP-50. It passed the house by an ultra-narrow 213-211, mainly with crossover support from the Florida delegation allowing it to pass. He then passed a tax cut for the middle class and small businesses. There were bipartisan hearings, much like Reagan's 1986 tax cut. It passed with sweeping majorities in both houses.

On the foreign policy front, it has been mostly peaceful during Gore's first few months. However, Gore received intelligence about a threat to crash a plane into "iconic American structures", and he is working with his team to handle it. He also met with President Putin, a visit which was largely a wash.

So far, Gore's presidency has pretty much just been a continuation of Clinton, even though he doesn't like to admit it himself. His approvals have also been quite good, with about a 54% approval rating.

But all of it was about to change...
Edgeofnight
EdgeofNight

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.09

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2018, 07:59:12 AM »

Cuz she dummmmmmb

That’s not a reason

This wouldn't happen in real life. A senate seat suits Clinton's ambitions much more.
NOTTYLER
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2018, 04:17:50 PM »

The day the world stopped turning....
It was an average morning. Not much news to report about. The newspapers were already released for the day. Nice weather. President Gore was in Tennessee meeting school children. Everything is going great.
And then it happened. Everything changed. Smoke, ashes... all of it. Panic in the streets, people crying.
It came across the news. 9:02 in the morning. Everyone thought it was a freak accident, a plane crashing into the World Trade Center...

But then, 12 Minutes later it happened again. The other one being hit at 9:14. The sky turned black. People terrified. Air Force One rushed President Gore to his safe room, where he talked with his advisers.
Secretaries Nunn, Holbrooke, Clark, NSA Adviser Furth, and Vice President Lieberman ran into the room. “What the Hell happened?!?!?!” Screamed President Gore.
“Oh you gotta see this” yelled Holbrooke as he switched on the TV.
“Oh. My. Gosh.” Said President Gore as he stared at the screen. “Who did this?”
“It was Afghanistan” said Nunn.
“Damn” said Vice President Lieberman. “You gotta order Military action”
The room agreed with the Vice President, and Gore said “get a podium ready, I have a speech to make”

Al stepped up to the microphone, Joe by his side. Trying to hold back tears for those who lost their lives.
“My Fellow Americans. Today was a very tragic day for this nation. This morning, Afghanistan launched a terrorist attack on American soil. We will not stand for this. The first thing I would like to say, and believe me I didn’t think this day would have to come, but I am appointing Tom Ridge to a new cabinet position, Secretary Of Homeland Security. This department will help us scope out potential terrorist attacks in the future, and put a stop to them. The second thing is, we are, with the approval of Congress, sending soldiers to Afghanistan to put a stop to the rising terrorist group, Al Qaeda. We can’t tolerate having them running around doing these kind of things. We will put a stop to it.
God bless all of you, and God be with you. Thank you. Good night”

Gore’s speech and decision to go to war with Aghanistan were praised by the general public, from both sides.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2018, 08:26:04 PM »

9/11 is a pivotal point in Gore's presidency. He would no longer be able to focus on domestic issues, but rather the Afgan War. Gore showed he was up to the occasion, with multiple visits with survivors and firefighters. As for holding those responsible accountable, Gore authorized a brisk mission to evict Bin Laden from Afganistan and pursue a CIA lead on the supposed mastermind behind the attacks, KSM. In the midst of all of this, the Congress quickly and unanimously passed a budget with little to no changes from Clinton's budget. Gore was very popular among the American people, with an approval rating of around 80%. Things were looking on the up and up for Gore, and the country.

On the political side, the 2002 midterms were looking like a neutral democratic year. Democrats led the generic ballot by a handful of points in most polls, and it looked possible that they might take back the house and gain seats in the Senate.

Senate Polls

Missouri -
Talent-47%
Carnahan-48%

Minnesota-
Wellstone-50%
Coleman-41%

Colorado-
Allard- 46%
Strickland-45%

Georgia-
Chambliss- 49%
Cleland-45%

Tennessee-
Alexander- 48%
Gordon-44%
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2018, 06:58:05 AM »

9/11 is a pivotal point in Gore's presidency. He would no longer be able to focus on domestic issues, but rather the Afgan War. Gore showed he was up to the occasion, with multiple visits with survivors and firefighters. As for holding those responsible accountable, Gore authorized a brisk mission to evict Bin Laden from Afganistan and pursue a CIA lead on the supposed mastermind behind the attacks, KSM. In the midst of all of this, the Congress quickly and unanimously passed a budget with little to no changes from Clinton's budget. Gore was very popular among the American people, with an approval rating of around 80%. Things were looking on the up and up for Gore, and the country.

On the political side, the 2002 midterms were looking like a neutral democratic year. Democrats led the generic ballot by a handful of points in most polls, and it looked possible that they might take back the house and gain seats in the Senate.

Senate Polls

Missouri -
Talent-47%
Carnahan-48%

Minnesota-
Wellstone-50%
Coleman-41%

Colorado-
Allard- 46%
Strickland-45%

Georgia-
Chambliss- 49%