Legislation: The Westsylvania Referendum Act of 1790 (Withdrawn)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:58:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  Legislation: The Westsylvania Referendum Act of 1790 (Withdrawn)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Legislation: The Westsylvania Referendum Act of 1790 (Withdrawn)  (Read 888 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 17, 2018, 08:44:06 PM »
« edited: July 30, 2018, 12:53:04 PM by Lumine »

Mr. Speaker,

I, along with the Honourable Robert Morris and Honourable Alexander Hamilton present the following bill on behalf of the Hamiltonian Faction:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

From the Sponsor:

_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 09:24:41 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

I wish to thank the Gentleman for his introduction of this legislation, as the people of Westsylvania do deserve to have their voices heard, no matter the attempts of the Governor of Pennsylvania to silence them.  However, I do believe that this election should occur as soon as possible, not at the next National Assembly election, which may occur as late as 1794.  That is why I wish to amend the legislation to have said referendum occur at the same time as the by-elections to the National Assembly for the new State of Kentucky, to allow the voices of Westsylvanians to be heard with haste.

I yield.

(OOC:  I think it's obvious that Kentucky is going to become a state with pretty much every faction either silent or in support on their petition, so I figured it'd be fine to choose the by-elections as a date for the referendum.)
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 09:38:03 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

This is a ridiculous proposition. Any deputy here today who claims to support small government and the rights of states, and supports this ludicrous bill, ought to resign immediately so that their seat may be filled by someone who will not give bald-faced lies to the public.

This bill is an affront to the sovereignty of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. The states and the federal government are equal partners in our Republic, and despite what the Hamiltonians may believe, the federal government cannot merely ignore the will of the States when it displeases them. The federal government ought not be in the business of carving up states, regardless of the situation on the ground, without the present and explicit consent of that state, and even then, I believe that the state itself is more suited to handle such matters.

But what is more egregious about this legislation is that it completely ignores the fact that Western Pennsylvania is as central to the existence of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania as the Susquehanna River, the city of Philadelphia, and the Appalachian Mountains. They are all critical to the territorial integrity of the Pennsylvania, and the federal government would effectively be declaring war on the state, ignoring its will and its power.

And who is to say, that in the future, the Federal government may see this disastrous legislation as a prerogative and a precedent to further slice up any state it may so choose? If we today begin to ignore the will and the rights of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, what shall stop us from violating the rights of the Commonwealth of Virginia tomorrow, or the privileges of the State of Georgia the next day, or the power of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts the day after?

I urge all members to oppose this ridiculous proposition, for it is a massive expansion of the power of the federal government at the expense of the rights of the states and of the people. If there is to be a referendum, let it be called, scheduled, and organized with the consent and by the government and the people of Pennsylvania, not the Federal Government.

I yield.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 09:51:24 PM »

Mr SPeaker,

It is commented that the federal government cannot ignore the states when it suits them.

The states ignored Congress's please to help fund the Continental Army when it suited them. I can testify to this personally.
Galaxie

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 10:17:51 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

Gentlemen, I have yet to see anything near an attempt at a solution regarding the Crisis in Westsylvania. This Nation, as I'm sure all of you remember, was not founded on waiting for a crisis to boil over, or disappear. Nay, it was founded on action.

As a member of this Congress, it has been repeated to me time and time again that the people of these United States are the prime movers of our democratic system. In them lies the answer to our problems in Westsylvania.

I lament the fact that the state has not had the audacity nor the foresight to act on this issue beforehand. We have, however, given the state government of Pennsylvania more than enough time to act on the crisis within its borders. All it has done, gentlemen, is arrest a man without trial. Guilty or not, he must be afforded the luxury of equal protection under our constitution.

It is with this in mind that I have taken it upon myself to implore the federal government to act in Pennsylvania's -- and Virginia's -- stead. We are carrying out federal elections regardless, gentlemen. All this is is one more question on the ballot.

In regards to my fellow delegate from Pennsylvania, if this is indeed a gross overreach of federal boundaries, let our newly minted courts be the judge. In regards to others, and to the people of Pennsylvania and Virginia at large, I am interested in an amendment to expand the referendum to the entirety of these two states. While I believe that the people of Westsylvania deserve to be heard as the region they have declared themselves, I also believe that the rest of these states must be heard as well -- I, for one, am a Pennsylvanian myself.

More than anything, Delegates, I believe this act must serve as a conduit for discussion -- and resolution -- regarding a crisis in our frontiers. If we discuss and act prudently, may we be remembered honorably by our posterity. If we fail, may they view us with disdain.

I yield.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 11:39:50 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

As is known to most of the media and the members here, I right now am attempting negotiations with the Government of Pennsylvania and the Westsylvanian protestors. I believe it to be prudent to allow these negotiations to proceed first and foremost before we move forward with any sort of resolution, as to not force either side into a rash decision.

Furthermore, I believe, with my fervent belief in states' rights and the rights of the citizen, that members of both factions should have input on the terms of a referendum before the federal government pushes a referendum through.

I yield.
Galaxie

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 10:20:24 AM »

Mr. Speaker,

Secretary Madison, I wish you the best of luck in your negotiations with the Government of Pennsylvania and the people of Westsylvania. May a resolution be reached that benefits all involved.

I yield.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 01:10:27 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

I request the that the time for debate be extended on this bill by another 72 hours if possible due to the current situation in Pennsylvania.

I yield.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 01:11:27 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

I request the that the time for debate be extended on this bill by another 72 hours if possible due to the current situation in Pennsylvania.

I yield.

The Speaker:

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2018, 03:16:57 AM »

Less than a day left here, I need to know whether the bill will be withdrawn or moved to a vote.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2018, 08:59:10 AM »

Mr. Speaker,

I ask that the sponsor withdraw this bill so that I can introduce a new bill that reflects the terms of the Westsylvanians.

I yield the remainder of my time.
Galaxie

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2018, 11:06:57 AM »

Mr. Speaker,

I heed the calls of the First Secretary. May this Act be withdrawn in favor of his in the name of peace. But may the Hamiltonian name not be forgotten as just as important an agent of peace!

I yield.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2018, 09:09:08 PM »

This bill is withdrawn.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length