Opinion of Batman Returns (1992)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:07:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of Batman Returns (1992)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of Batman Returns (1992)
Freedom Movie

Horrible Movie

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 14

Author Topic: Opinion of Batman Returns (1992)  (Read 655 times)
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 18, 2018, 02:30:43 PM »

I've seen it ranked very low in most Batman lists, which saddens me. Maybe it's just childhood nostalgia, but I've always loved this movie. The Gothic setting, the rich 3 dimensional characters. Yes, it's also a little ridiculous, but I prefer that to the atmosphere of the Nolan films. I don't think comic book characters are supposed to be taken 100% seriously.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 03:37:20 PM »

To stop my inner nerd for a moment and not get into scales and ranks, and thus keep it short:

It's a travesty when judged on the merits of Batman lore, the pacing and plotting are seriously off, and Christopher Walken's character was utterly pointless, and it's very disappointing to watch on the heels of 1989.

But the atmosphere, story beats, general tone, acting performances, direction, and most especially Danny Elfman's score make it worthwhile and certainly much better than it sounds.

Freedom film.

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 04:06:29 PM »

Still the best Batman movie.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 04:06:57 PM »

Several strata beyond the Joel Schumacher monstrosities.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 04:58:43 PM »

Is that the one where Danny Devito/Penguin says "just the pussy I was looking for" to Catwoman?  That sh**t was funny (at least to me, back when I was a child of 19), but the movie was bad.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 06:33:44 PM »

Several strata beyond the Joel Schumacher monstrosities.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 06:43:12 PM »

It's a travesty when judged on the merits of Batman lore, the pacing and plotting are seriously off, and Christopher Walken's character was utterly pointless, and it's very disappointing to watch on the heels of 1989.

The point was to provide a plothook that would give Penguin and Catwoman a reason to join up. That said I never particularly cared for how either villain was developed. To be fair, Batman is much better as a television hero than a movie hero. Episodic television gives the time to develop the villains one at a time in a way that time limited movies generally can't. That was part of the reason for BTAS' success. For example, we got to know and enjoy Harvey Dent before his transformation into Two Face.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 06:55:03 PM »

The subsequent movies thereafter, Batman Forever and Batman and Robin were horrible due to the fact they introduced Batgirl and never finished the storyline.

The same held true for Catwoman, she disappeared and never came back.  They should have made a final movie that had finished the story line of Batgirl and Catwoman
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 09:21:15 PM »

Best of the 80's-90's Batman movies.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 09:27:31 PM »

It is unique without the Schumacher garbage. Well never see a thing quite like it again. I prefer it to 1989, I think, but the Nolan trilogy is obviously superior
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2018, 07:51:22 AM »

Meh, it's okay, but it's not a good movie by any stretch of the imagination (as opposed to Batman Begins and The Dark Knight which were great).  Honestly, even The Dark Knight Rises, a movie with more than its share of problems, was an infinitely better film than any of the non-Nolanverse Batman movies.  

I think folks have a tendency to look at the Michael Keaton Batman movies with nostalgia-colored glasses both because they came before the Schumacher monstrosities (Batman Forever was almost as bad as Batman and Robin, tbh) and because of how old they are (i.e. some folks grew up with them).  However, they're really extremely campy (and not in a good way) and lacked the psychological dimension that is critical to any good Batman story (the writers for Batman the Animated series understood this [see the first Mr. Freeze episode, the first Baby Doll episode, Perchance to Dream, Mad Love, and The Man Who Killed Batman, among others], the writers for Mask of the Phantasm understood it, and so did Christopher Nolan).  That's just my two cents though Tongue
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies