Israel Passes Law Declaring Itself Nation-State of the Jewish People
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:32:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel Passes Law Declaring Itself Nation-State of the Jewish People
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Israel Passes Law Declaring Itself Nation-State of the Jewish People  (Read 3634 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 19, 2018, 08:58:45 AM »

Israel has effectively declared itself an apartheid state:

Israel Passes Law Anchoring Itself as Nation-State of the Jewish People

You must be logged in to read this quote.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 09:14:49 AM »

haven't they learned that they can't do things that are "largely symbolic and declarative" without pissing off their way too easily triggered neighbors and anti-Zionists the world over?  You've got to use kid gloves when dealing with people that emotionally fragile.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 10:19:08 AM »

Very good move. Apparently Israel being a Jewish state is still controversial after 70 years, so let's enshrine it into law.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 10:23:19 AM »

Israel was created for the purpose of being a Jewish state, therefore this should be uncontroversial, as it's just reaffirming it's purpose.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 10:35:26 AM »

As a lawyer in Israel and far from being a good Zionist (probably not at all). This is all fake news, this bill has no content and changes nothing.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 10:48:40 AM »

Israel has effectively declared itself an apartheid state:

I don't support this law, but surely you have enough knowledge in history and civics to recognize the difference of "nation-state" and "appartheid"?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 10:52:13 AM »

Israel was created for the purpose of being a Jewish state, therefore this should be uncontroversial, as it's just reaffirming it's purpose.

The question is whether there is any need to reaffirm this fact with ornamental legislation, given the antagonism (rightly or wrongly) it will cause.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 10:59:08 AM »

The question is whether there is any need to reaffirm this fact with ornamental legislation, given the antagonism (rightly or wrongly) it will cause.

Of course not. But how else would the Netanyahu government fan the flames of division in the delicate Israeli society? I mean, they've been doing everything they can to make us hate each other for years, it'd be unfitting to stop now.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2018, 11:26:58 AM »

The legal consecration of the already existing spacial segregation is a tragedy and a sign that Israel might evolve towards undemocratic forms of state. Terrible development.
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2018, 11:28:26 AM »

Very good move. Apparently Israel being a Jewish state is still controversial after 70 years, so let's enshrine it into law.

Completely agreed. To deny Israel its essential, Jewish-nature is to deny Israel itself.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2018, 11:35:26 AM »

The legal consecration of the already existing spacial segregation is a tragedy and a sign that Israel might evolve towards undemocratic forms of state. Terrible development.
This part was taken out of the law because President Rivlin didn't like it.

"Nationalism for me, but not for thee", Santander?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 11:55:25 AM »

The issue is not that Israel should not be considered a Jewish nation state, something that should be pretty obvious. That was the whole point of establishing Israel, wasn't it? The issue is that new law is clearly aimed at downgrading the rights of a sizeable ethnic minority, which is just wrong. Especially if to consider the crap Jews had to deal for centuries from majorities in other countries they inhabited.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2018, 11:57:04 AM »

Of course that is not what I am saying, although I would not really describe myself as a nationalist, since my agreement with nationalists is rooted mostly in dislike of certain countries. I am obviously a supporter of Israel and its Zionist underpinnings, but I do not really see the purpose, other than politics, of such divisive symbolic legislation, considering Israel's Jewish nature is already enshrined, if not in Basic Law, in the flag, the national anthem, the Law of Return, and so many other laws and symbols.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2018, 12:09:14 PM »

That's not quite accurate. No one in Likud cares what Rivlin thinks today. It was probably taken out because the Attorney General and other legal officials voiced opposition, and it was clear it wouldn't pass the Supreme Court.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2018, 12:26:58 PM »

Yeah, the Takes about this were all clearly written before the last minute changes to avoid Legal Embarrassment.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2018, 12:41:49 PM »

I mean, I'd imagine it rather common for one nation's "nationalists" to not have a vested interest in the success of another nation's "nationalists," no?
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2018, 01:08:22 PM »

That's not quite accurate. No one in Likud cares what Rivlin thinks today. It was probably taken out because the Attorney General and other legal officials voiced opposition, and it was clear it wouldn't pass the Supreme Court.

OK, it's my fault for not having paid attention in the last week. Everything related with Israel and Palestine provokes me a sense of bitterness and I'm not always in the mood.

From what I checked in the news, this law consecrates the discrimination of minorities within the State of Israel. It's still a terrible development and is clearly indicative of the undemocratic nature of the state envisioned by Israeli extremists.

I've read something about other legislative projects this Israeli administration wants to pass. It's truly depressing.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2018, 01:09:01 PM »

It says non-Jewish people do not have the right to self-determination in Israel.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2018, 01:10:56 PM »

The left only cares about minorities these days. No wonder they can't get majorities to vote for them anymore.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2018, 01:19:06 PM »

The left only cares about minorities these days. No wonder they can't get majorities to vote for them anymore.
“First they came after the trade unionists...”
At a point they will come after you, or something will bite your hand, don’t expect people to take it swimmingly. Excuse us for caring about justice and fairness for a better life.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2018, 01:19:52 PM »

It says non-Jewish people do not have the right to self-determination in Israel.

The law only refers to national self-determination, as a collective, and speaks nothing of individual self-determination. If you recognize that Israel is a Jewish state, then it only makes sense that Jews alone have a collective right to national self-determination in Israel.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2018, 02:04:20 PM »

If you think in that way about minorities, then I'll have to deduce that you're lacking the necessry historical awareness about your own people.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2018, 05:25:36 PM »

At a point they will come after you, or something will bite your hand, don’t expect people to take it swimmingly. Excuse us for caring about justice and fairness for a better life.

Using "first they came" to criticize a hated Jewish state. How ironic.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2018, 05:43:14 PM »

Ironic that Israel would act in such a way to deserve 'first they came' to be used against them.  

It shows how dishonest the OUTRAGE! was when Secretary of State John Kerry correctly said this "If the choice is one state, Israel can either be Jewish or democratic, it cannot be both"

It was such only such an "OUTRAGEOUS!" thing for Kerry to say that Netanyahu, Likud and their coalition partners have essentially voted here for Israel to start going down the road to no longer be a democracy.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2018, 10:00:36 PM »

Both ironic and valid.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies