2018 Atlas CFB Pick Em Contest
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:07:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  2018 Atlas CFB Pick Em Contest
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22
Author Topic: 2018 Atlas CFB Pick Em Contest  (Read 22207 times)
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: November 28, 2018, 02:15:22 PM »

I'd like to see them expand the playoff to 8 team (3 rounds) that includes all Power 5 conference champions, the highest-rated Group of 5 team, and two at-large teams.

This used to be my thought process (well, on a much grander scale with 16 and multiple guaranteed slots), but I've come around to the idea the conference champion is borderline meaningless. Pittsburgh should not be sniffing a playoff should it pull off an upset and Northwestern and Utah probably should not either. Meanwhile, last year's obvious champion would be left out.

And yes, Notre Dame absolutely would be in without weekly polls if they were undefeated. They scheduled what was perceived to be tough. What more can you ask for? Yes, they are 7th best. They'd still get in with four ranked wins and an addition four wins over preseason ranked teams. Clemson also never had a real chance of losing a game this year.

I agree with this. I used to believe all conference champions should get an automatic bid. But somebody like Pitt getting a bid if they upset Clemson? Just no lol
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #451 on: November 28, 2018, 07:21:51 PM »

I'd like to see them expand the playoff to 8 team (3 rounds) that includes all Power 5 conference champions, the highest-rated Group of 5 team, and two at-large teams.

This used to be my thought process (well, on a much grander scale with 16 and multiple guaranteed slots), but I've come around to the idea the conference champion is borderline meaningless. Pittsburgh should not be sniffing a playoff should it pull off an upset and Northwestern and Utah probably should not either. Meanwhile, last year's obvious champion would be left out.

And yes, Notre Dame absolutely would be in without weekly polls if they were undefeated. They scheduled what was perceived to be tough. What more can you ask for? Yes, they are 7th best. They'd still get in with four ranked wins and an addition four wins over preseason ranked teams. Clemson also never had a real chance of losing a game this year.

I agree with this. I used to believe all conference champions should get an automatic bid. But somebody like Pitt getting a bid if they upset Clemson? Just no lol

I'd be OK with a minimum requirement for the automatic spots, i.e. the Power 5 conference champions & highest Group of 5 member must be in the top 15 or 20 of the CFP rankings.  Otherwise the conference/Group of 5 forfeits the automatic berth, and it goes to another at-large team.  That would keep the Pitts out of the playoff, and keep the playoff out of the pits. Wink
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #452 on: November 28, 2018, 10:33:53 PM »

How loudly will Oklahoma and tOSU fans be cheering for Alabama on Saturday?

A Georgia upset almost certainly means that Ohio State and OU miss the playoff and 2 SEC teams get in again.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #453 on: November 28, 2018, 10:48:36 PM »

A Georgia upset almost certainly means that Ohio State and OU miss the playoff and 2 SEC teams get in again.

I've got Georgia winning, actually.

I think Alabama wins...and while I have Oklahoma winning, I wouldn't be stunned to see the Sooners lose too.

As for Ohio State, they should beat Northwestern, but I keep having Purdue flashbacks.

Maybe we have

1. Notre Dame

2. Georgia

3. Alabama

4. UCF/Michigan, whichever of Ohio State/Oklahoma looks better in defeat.

If Alabama/Ohio State/Oklahoma all lose.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #454 on: November 29, 2018, 07:54:00 AM »

I think Alabama wins...and while I have Oklahoma winning, I wouldn't be stunned to see the Sooners lose too.

As for Ohio State, they should beat Northwestern, but I keep having Purdue flashbacks.

Maybe we have

1. Notre Dame

2. Georgia

3. Alabama

No Clemson?
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #455 on: November 29, 2018, 08:29:52 AM »

Maybe we have

1. Notre Dame

2. Georgia

3. Alabama

An undefeated conference champion Clemson will be in the playoffs.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #456 on: November 29, 2018, 01:43:41 PM »

Maybe we have

1. Notre Dame

2. Georgia

3. Alabama

No Clemson?

The assumption is that Clemson also loses, but I assumed you'd notice that. I was wrong
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #457 on: November 29, 2018, 03:21:56 PM »

Maybe we have

1. Notre Dame

2. Georgia

3. Alabama

No Clemson?

The assumption is that Clemson also loses, but I assumed you'd notice that. I was wrong

Since you explicitly listed Alabama/Ohio State/Oklahoma all losing, but not Clemson, I did assume it wasn't included in the list.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #458 on: November 29, 2018, 03:51:13 PM »

Maybe we have

1. Notre Dame

2. Georgia

3. Alabama

I'd say Clemson still gets in if they, tOSU, OU and Bama all lose.  Two-loss OU and tOSU won't jump a one-loss Clemson, and I doubt Clemson would fall behind an undefeated UCF.

1 Notre Dame
2 Georgia
3 Clemson
4 Alabama

This would be the probably seeding to avoid a UGA/Bama rematch in the first round.

Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #459 on: December 01, 2018, 03:56:44 PM »

OU wins 39-27......UCF down 14-0 after 4 minutes as Memphis marched down the field and them strip sacked UCF for 2 TD's in that time.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #460 on: December 01, 2018, 04:23:07 PM »

Georgia just knocked out Tua
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #461 on: December 01, 2018, 04:33:03 PM »

?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #462 on: December 01, 2018, 04:46:08 PM »

I should've trusted my gut on the Texas/Oklahoma game.

I originally had Oklahoma, but switched to Texas...and the one week I'm going to be wrong about UCF happens to be the AAC Championship Game...

I just hope Georgia wins so I can feel vindicated about something.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #463 on: December 01, 2018, 04:53:58 PM »

I should've trusted my gut on the Texas/Oklahoma game.

I originally had Oklahoma, but switched to Texas...and the one week I'm going to be wrong about UCF happens to be the AAC Championship Game...

I just hope Georgia wins so I can feel vindicated about something.

I hope not! Georgia winning leaves the committee facing the choice of a 1 loss Oklahoma, a 1 loss Ohio State, and a 1 loss Alabama. Three of the largest fanbases in the country. While they'd inevitably choose Alabama, they'd be sure to piss off basically everyone no matter what. It also creates the most boring playoff possible in an already down year for CFB, which isn't ideal.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #464 on: December 01, 2018, 06:47:31 PM »

Alabama catching up...they're only down 28-21 now, and I can't get the theme from Jaws out of my head.

Also, Memphis and UCF are engaged in a shootout that I would have thought would normally could only be played in the Big Twelve.

I mean seriously, who thought there would be more points scored in the AAC championship game than in the Big Twelve Championship Game?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #465 on: December 01, 2018, 06:53:21 PM »

Alabama catching up...they're only down 28-21 now, and I can't get the theme from Jaws out of my head.

Also, Memphis and UCF are engaged in a shootout that I would have thought would normally could only be played in the Big Twelve.

I mean seriously, who thought there would be more points scored in the AAC championship game than in the Big Twelve Championship Game?

Last year's AAC championship was won by UCF over Memphis 62-55 (2 OT).  This is nothing new for them. Smiley
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #466 on: December 01, 2018, 07:29:26 PM »

OK, UCF has made me a believer.  That was an impressive second half.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #467 on: December 01, 2018, 07:46:43 PM »

Jalen! ROLL TIDE!!!!!
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #468 on: December 01, 2018, 07:51:04 PM »

Okay.

It's official. UCF deserves to be in the playoff, regardless of what happens/happened to everyone else (Alabama rallied to win, while Oklahoma won and Clemson/ Ohio State should win, plus Notre Dame has already locked up their spot).

I think UCF can beat Oklahoma/Ohio State/Notre Dame...but they would get flattened by Alabama.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #469 on: December 01, 2018, 07:54:16 PM »

Okay.

It's official. UCF deserves to be in the playoff, regardless of what happens/happened to everyone else (Alabama rallied to win, while Oklahoma won and Clemson/ Ohio State should win, plus Notre Dame has already locked up their spot).

I think UCF can beat Oklahoma/Ohio State/Notre Dame...but they would get flattened by Alabama.

Oh yeah.. beating an 8-4 team definitely proves they can beat one of the top 4!
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #470 on: December 01, 2018, 08:09:08 PM »

One day Ohio and Alabama will not be unbeatable. One day someone else will steak the spotlight. I’ll probably be dead by then, but someday.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #471 on: December 01, 2018, 08:09:49 PM »

One day Ohio and Alabama will not be unbeatable. One day someone else will steak the spotlight. I’ll probably be dead by then, but someday.

Ohio State?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #472 on: December 01, 2018, 08:10:18 PM »

Okay.

If both Ohio State and Clemson lose tonight, then I could see the case for UCF in the playoff (the other 3 being Alabama, Notre Dame, and Oklahoma).  But it wouldn't be a slam dunk.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #473 on: December 01, 2018, 08:14:37 PM »

Okay.

If both Ohio State and Clemson lose tonight, then I could see the case for UCF in the playoff (the other 3 being Alabama, Notre Dame, and Oklahoma).  But it wouldn't be a slam dunk.

That situation is about the only one I could see UCF even getting consideration. If that happened, I strongly believe the committee would still go with Clemson.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #474 on: December 01, 2018, 08:45:51 PM »

the State of Georgia is cursed
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies