Trump approval ratings thread, 1.4 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:45:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump approval ratings thread, 1.4 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trump approval ratings thread, 1.4  (Read 176513 times)
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« on: January 17, 2019, 06:19:58 PM »

Trump hits 55% disapproval in the 538 tracker for the first time in 11 months.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 06:10:33 AM »
« Edited: January 22, 2019, 06:14:26 AM by Statilius the Epicurean »

The  rationale behind the Electoral College is that the States, and not the People, elect the President. It works against  certain forms of vote fraud (let us say a state having fabricated 90 million votes) or having a veritable single-Party system in which the second-largest Party is effectively shut out, as was true in much of the post-Reconstruction South. Thus the Electoral College recognizes no difference between winning a state 51-48 or winning it 81-18 in assessing the value of the votes. Thus if democracy failed in one state that state would not have inordinate power in the federal government.

The problem is that minorities within states become irrelevant -- like blacks in most of the South. maybe rural interests in New York State -- even if they are significant.  I want to see Democratic Presidential candidates seeking votes among Mexican-Americans in Texas, and I want Republican Presidential candidates seeking votes among agricultural interests in California.  Minorities matter in close elections.    
Agreed, but the EC also makes sure that rural and small-town voters aren't marginalized in the political process at the expense of the cities and the coasts.

There are 5 million rural voters in California alone who are screwed by the Electoral College. If you're a rural voter in a big state you're actually disadvantaged just as much as any urban voter there is.

Likewise, the EC massively and disproportionately benefits voters in Nevada, which is the 4th most urban state in the US.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 07:31:42 PM »

I wouldn't get too excited tbh. These approval numbers are 1) during a shutdown, where Trump is flailing around and screwing up while pursuing a high-salience unpopular policy, and 2) it's more than a year and a half away from the election. If it's Jan 2020 and Trump is still stuck at 40 then I'd be worried for him, but as it is my default assumption is that it will go like the 2013 shutdown where Congressional Republicans were destroyed in the polls for a month and then everyone forgot about it (and they won a landslide midterm a year later).
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 11:25:53 AM »

Because his approval rating only dropped because of the shutdown.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies