2016 National Precinct Map on NYT
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:31:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2016 National Precinct Map on NYT
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: 2016 National Precinct Map on NYT  (Read 6897 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2018, 11:58:18 AM »
« edited: August 14, 2018, 12:21:02 PM by Torie »

I got a kick out of looking at this precinct, which is the one I would have retired to in the Silverlake neighborhood of Los Angeles (prior to discovering Hudson), which is now very wealthy, albeit packed with gays and Hollywood types, or both. But it is precincts like this, that have caused the lines on the graph below to move the way they have. And I have no doubt that in the Trump era, the lines between Pubs and Dems have moved father apart now than was true in 2012.

Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2018, 12:35:54 PM »
« Edited: August 14, 2018, 12:40:32 PM by Tintrlvr »

Why is southern Brooklyn so Republican?

Primarily ultra-Orthodox Jews, who explain all of the very heavily Republican areas. The more moderately Republican areas are a mix of areas that are heavily "ethnic white" third- and fourth-generation American families (with the most Republican of such areas, like Mill Basin and to a lesser extent Dyker Heights, also being quite wealthy - the more marginal ones tend to be more middle class, but are also rapidly becoming heavily Asian (mainly Chinese) American and more Democratic) and some areas with a lot of recent immigrants from Russia (especially Brighton Beach and Manhattan Beach on the eastern half of Coney Island).

Basically nothing in Brooklyn south of Prospect Park (the six-sided blank space near the middle of the borough) is anything like the stereotypical image non-locals have of the borough.

Thanks. That makes sense. I hooked up with a guy in Flatbush-Ditmas Park and when we were walking to his place, I was sorta feeling like I wasn't even in Brooklyn. It was definitely not the image of a bohemian, urbane, trendy area. It was still nice, but very mixed suburban lowscale kind of nice.

True, though if you were in Ditmas Park, you were still in the deep blue area just south of Prospect Park. Ditmas Park is definitely gentrifying but it's one of the few places south of Prospect Park with attractive pre-war housing stock (mainly larger single-family or subdivided detached Edwardian houses) so one of the few areas there likely to ever experience a significant influx of "gentrifiers".
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2018, 03:46:52 AM »

Why is southern Brooklyn so Republican?

Primarily ultra-Orthodox Jews, who explain all of the very heavily Republican areas. The more moderately Republican areas are a mix of areas that are heavily "ethnic white" third- and fourth-generation American families (with the most Republican of such areas, like Mill Basin and to a lesser extent Dyker Heights, also being quite wealthy - the more marginal ones tend to be more middle class, but are also rapidly becoming heavily Asian (mainly Chinese) American and more Democratic) and some areas with a lot of recent immigrants from Russia (especially Brighton Beach and Manhattan Beach on the eastern half of Coney Island).

Basically nothing in Brooklyn south of Prospect Park (the six-sided blank space near the middle of the borough) is anything like the stereotypical image non-locals have of the borough.

Thanks. That makes sense. I hooked up with a guy in Flatbush-Ditmas Park and when we were walking to his place, I was sorta feeling like I wasn't even in Brooklyn. It was definitely not the image of a bohemian, urbane, trendy area. It was still nice, but very mixed suburban lowscale kind of nice.

True, though if you were in Ditmas Park, you were still in the deep blue area just south of Prospect Park. Ditmas Park is definitely gentrifying but it's one of the few places south of Prospect Park with attractive pre-war housing stock (mainly larger single-family or subdivided detached Edwardian houses) so one of the few areas there likely to ever experience a significant influx of "gentrifiers".

Yes, it definitely felt very that.

Also, is there a national precinct map like this but with the Purple America type gradient? Like this? https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8c/2016_Presidential_Election_by_County_%28Red-Blue-Purple_View%29.png
pops
katman46

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: 4.00

P P P
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2018, 01:23:35 AM »

TIL that my whole town voted 31% for Clinton, but my precinct voted 59% for Trump and the other precinct voted 57% for Trump. This means that third party candidates got 10% in my precinct and 12% right next door. The best county in my state for third parties was about 7%. Did my Gary Johnson sign really help that much? /s

TIL that you can put Gary Johnson and Jill Stein's 5% in sparsely populated Texas and Oklahoma precincts before you can do the same with New Mexico, Utah, and Alaska precincts. There goes my fun Sad
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies