Legislation: Capital Relocation Act of 1791 (Passed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:14:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  Legislation: Capital Relocation Act of 1791 (Passed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Legislation: Capital Relocation Act of 1791 (Passed)  (Read 1209 times)
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« on: July 26, 2018, 03:33:09 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

And who should pay for the establishment of this new capital? The area at the mouth of the Susquehanna is underdeveloped and sparsely populated, and the location originally proposed by the gentleman from Georgia is little more than a malaria infested swamp. Shall this government take it upon itself to fund the construction of a new city? We are yet in the process of paying down our still significant debts from the Revolution, and I would pray that this body would not consider adding any more to that sum.

No doubt, Philadelphia's position as our nation's capital is fast becoming untenable, yet there are other, better choices for us to meet. Delegates, I urge you to vote against this act.

I yield.
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 11:44:11 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

I rise to answer the gentleman from Kentucky's queries. I am under no illusion that Boston would be acceptable to this body, but why would New York City be so offensive to our southern delegates? New York is a slave state, and New York City is a thriving hub of culture and commerce, where ideas of all kinds are welcome. Moreover, a city so large would offer many of the amenities our government needs without imposing an undue cost on our debt riddled government.

I will oppose this act with or without the amendments offered.

I yield.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies