All of the attempts to get rid of the Electoral College
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:33:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  All of the attempts to get rid of the Electoral College
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: All of the attempts to get rid of the Electoral College  (Read 757 times)
Plankton5165

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 23, 2019, 08:35:36 PM »

What are all of the attempts to get rid of the Electoral College?
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 02:55:55 PM »

What are all of the attempts to get rid of the Electoral College?
Do you mean all currently active attempts? I think the most active one right now is the Interstate Popular Vote Compact, whereby a state agrees that its electors will vote for the national PV winner, rather than the statewide winner, essentially making the EC moot provided that states totaling at least 270 EVs agree to it, which seems unlikely. (As far as I know, all states in the Compact voted for Clinton in 2016).

For what it's worth, the Libertarian and Green parties called for abolition of the EC long before the idea became popular among Democratic elected officials and thought leaders. Considering that Ross Perot in 1992, with all his billions and 20 million PVs, managed zero EVs in 1992, it seems unlikely these parties will make much headway at the Presidential level while the EC is in place.

As an aside: One of my favorite pastimes after a closely contested election, such as this month's KY governor's race, is watching the major parties argue over which side lost more votes to third parties.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies