Atlasian Coalition Of Labor Occupations (A.C.L.O) Headquarters
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:40:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Atlasian Coalition Of Labor Occupations (A.C.L.O) Headquarters
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 22
Author Topic: Atlasian Coalition Of Labor Occupations (A.C.L.O) Headquarters  (Read 24796 times)
PSOL
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: April 07, 2020, 02:21:13 PM »

I call upon a national strike in order to

• Ensure that Farmworkers, undocumented or otherwise, have adequate protection and fair wages without threat of deportation, sickness, and death
  • Ensure that no retailers or clerical workers on the frontlines are left without adequate pay and accommodations during this crisis
  • Encourage that manufacturers make medical supplies with workers instead of forcing layoffs

X PSOL

I also think it might be a good idea to create a medical workers union, perhaps the Medical Workers Alliance (MWA). We can’t exactly call another assembly, so let’s just add it in.

X PSOL

PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #351 on: April 08, 2020, 04:33:51 PM »
« Edited: April 09, 2020, 10:29:34 AM by PSOL »

bump, do y’all not want to do this? Remember that it takes 1/10th of the membership saying yes to these changes in an appropriate timeframe to trigger a referendum.
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.13

« Reply #352 on: April 09, 2020, 10:23:43 AM »

I call upon a national strike in order to

• Ensure that Farmworkers, undocumented or otherwise, have adequate protection and fair wages without threat of deportation, sickness, and death
  • Ensure that no retailers or clerical workers on the frontlines are left without adequate pay and accommodations during this crisis
  • Encourage that manufacturers make medical supplies with workers instead of forcing layoffs

X PSOL

I also think it might be a good idea to create a medical workers union, perhaps the Medical Workers Alliance (MWA). We can’t exactly call another assembly, so let’s just add it in.

X PSOL

I support this action.

X Elcaspar
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #353 on: April 09, 2020, 10:49:18 AM »

We need just one more person to trigger a referendum. I’m a bit confused on why at this time, seeing that unfair layoffs and Labour practices are happening, why this union is not seizing the opportunity here?
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #354 on: April 09, 2020, 01:21:36 PM »

We need just one more person to trigger a referendum. I’m a bit confused on why at this time, seeing that unfair layoffs and Labour practices are happening, why this union is not seizing the opportunity here?

Mostly because i have paid less attention recently due to IRL stuff. I will relay this message to some  more people in the union.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #355 on: April 09, 2020, 01:30:40 PM »

I'll support this!

x R2D2
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #356 on: April 09, 2020, 01:42:41 PM »

Alright since we have enough people that support a referendum it's time for the members of this union to vote:

National Strike Referendum

MARK ONE OF THE FOLLOWING.

[  ] Aye

[  ] [Nay]

[  ] [Abstain]

48 hours till votes close.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #357 on: April 09, 2020, 02:07:31 PM »

Alright since we have enough people that support a referendum it's time for the members of this union to vote:

[ X ] Aye

[  ] [Nay]

[  ] [Abstain]

48 hours till votes close.

West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #358 on: April 09, 2020, 02:48:32 PM »

[   ] Aye

[X] [Nay]

[   ] [Abstain]

I agree with the three points PSOL has raised. I would like to note, regarding point one, that unemployment benefits and relief from work in this time of national crisis would be greatly beneficial to containing the spread of this virus and in promoting the health of the public-at-large of Atlasia. However, while that prospect or assistance to undocumented people by other means may be feasible in Atlasia, the possibility of taxpayer aid to undocumented people is much less appealing IRL and I would think, as a bipartisan solution in Atlasia, when tax payment by undocumented persons is not universal (and can't be enforced due to nature of their undocumented status).

Furthermore, while the aims put forth by the gentleman from Illinois are noble, I do not believe that a national strike is the right move—it is a move that would further damage the economy of this country when we may very well be on our way to a recession and it is a move that would be heavily damaging to the national unity of this country, particularly in this uncertain time, already rife with panic, hoarding, fear, and spreading illness and death.

A national or general strike would mean taking healthcare workers out of the healthcare system at this critical time. It would mean take school cafeteria workers out of their lunchrooms and off of the school curbs, halting the distribution of free lunches and breakfasts to young children, particularly to those in need—the poor. The nonwhite poor would be especially impacted by this strike in losing access to their meals which they previously received at school and now are picking up at school or receive from good samaritans who distribute the lunches.

I cannot in good conscience condone this strike because the more successful it is, the longer the children are without and the more pressure is put on our already stressed healthcare system. The Congress would then be held at gunpoint to pass the demands of the strike for the preservation of the nation in order to facilitate a speedy end to the strike. I am not willing to blackmail Nyman with the children and the healthcare system as the pawns. I am voting nay on the strike.

Nyman is already making efforts to curb the economic effects of this virus. We must have patience and not be rash in our actions. We must put forward a good example of calmness under duress lest panic spread throughout the country more so than it already has.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #359 on: April 09, 2020, 05:46:42 PM »

[ X ] Aye

[  ] [Nay]

[  ] [Abstain]

To the Southern Governor, I would like to offer my perspective on why I think this strike should proceed. Firstly, the lack of support given to undocumented immigrants presents a real risk to the nation. The blatant disregard to their lives with no proper working procedure in place to prevent transmission is a danger to all of us. Undocumented Immigrants do not live in a neat corner away from the general populace, they live actually quite near other officially registered Atlasians. We cannot he thinking in an insular manner considering that these folks live and work among Atlasians with citizenship too. Secondly, these farmworkers, and most undocumented immigrants, pay into state and local taxes in an amount not ignorable. They deserve then to be compensated as well for their labour. Not just about taxes, but if we see a massive casualty count coupled with a lack of consumption, I don’t see how that is fiscally responsible or feasible either

I fully reject the idea that national industrial action would not be beneficial for the economy in the long run. If done carefully so as to meet with social distancing requirements, it would at most cause concessions from the business owner and the government rightfully owed to have the decency to survive in this pandemic, to those working or not. What is more egregious is the wage cuts, legal or otherwise, done by the business class to the workers on the frontlines that are the ones truly maintaining society at this time. The national and local governments have done much to rapidly respond, but in a way that doesn’t take into account all the situations going on or is bogged down due to legal obstruction. It would be worse for all of us if these workers come to work sick or destitute, preventing them from crucially participating in consumption and savings so as to not make a bad situation worse. I would like to add that to those wishing to participate but can’t due to medical conditions, a sickout would be a better strategy.

Medical professionals, in the fact that they are living through something that can be aptly described as a war, especially should be a major focus. Action taken on this front has no justification not to be taken if wages aren’t met, working conditions aren’t up to code, and supplies are lacking. The risk to the rest of us if private enterprises especially disregard the last two things is far more dangerous then a low intensity act like this.

I would like to point out that I live in the Fremont state of Alaska, not Illinois.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #360 on: April 09, 2020, 06:08:44 PM »

Imagine being so privileged and selfish in your beliefs that you are willing to let innocent people suffer to push for a poorly timed strike.

Also a little fact about undocumented workers: they are not citizens. They should never be given benefits to treat them as if they are. They have no right to be here in the first place.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #361 on: April 09, 2020, 06:14:33 PM »

Imagine being so privileged and selfish in your beliefs that you are willing to let innocent people suffer to push for a poorly timed strike.

Also a little fact about undocumented workers: they are not citizens. They should never be given benefits to treat them as if they are. They have no right to be here in the first place.
Imagine using this time to unfairly terminate employees and not compensate them for fighting a pandemic, while at some cases not providing ample PPE to work.

Unless you want a lot of more infections due to poor regulations on agricultural and other sectors mistreatments of undocumented immigrants, that could spread to Atlasian citizens mind you, any and all people should support this move.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #362 on: April 09, 2020, 06:20:03 PM »

Aye
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #363 on: April 09, 2020, 06:31:45 PM »

Imagine using this time to unfairly terminate employees and not compensate them for fighting a pandemic, while at some cases not providing ample PPE to work.

Unless you want a lot of more infections due to poor regulations on agricultural and other sectors mistreatments of undocumented immigrants, that could spread to Atlasian citizens mind you, any and all people should support this move.

No one has been unfairly terminated in this pandemic. To say otherwise just shows how little you actually pay attention.  

Anyone who has lost their job in this pandemic has lost it because keeping their job and continuing to put people at risk by going to work causes more harm than good. You can't blame the employers for complying with orders put in place by those higher than them or taking necessary precautions to keep their employees and customers safe.

Also news flash: there is a shortage of supplies, including PPEs, everywhere. No amount of striking magically makes them appear for every essential employee everywhere. Many manufacturers that don't normally make those products are going out of their way to start making them. You don't need a strike to force them to do it. People are going out of their way to learn to make homemade masks to donate to essential workers. All you would be accomplishing by organizing a nationwide strike is take people out of those existing factories that have started making necessary supplies, and worsening those shortages in a time where they are desperately needed. I know you clearly don't have any real life work experience, and certainly don't have any experience as an essential worker, so I suggest educating yourself before pretending you have any knowledge about the situation aside from some opinions from far left bloggers you listened to that also don't have a clue what they are talking about.

As for the workers on farms, of course measures should take place to ensure they don't get sick or die, but protecting them from deportation? No, as I factually stated, they have no right to be here.

Statements of yours not even remotely based on how things work in the real world are why no one will ever take tankies seriously.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #364 on: April 09, 2020, 06:37:54 PM »

No one has been unfairly terminated in this pandemic. To say otherwise just shows how little you actually pay attention.  

Anyone who has lost their job in this pandemic has lost it because keeping their job and continuing to put people at risk by going to work causes more harm than good. You can't blame the employers for complying with orders put in place by those higher than them or taking necessary precautions to keep their employees and customers safe.

Also news flash: there is a shortage of supplies, including PPEs, everywhere. No amount of striking magically makes them appear for every essential employee everywhere. Many manufacturers that don't normally make those products are going out of their way to start making them. You don't need a strike to force them to do it. People are going out of their way to learn to make homemade masks to donate to essential workers. All you would be accomplishing by organizing a nationwide strike is take people out of those existing factories that have started making necessary supplies, and worsening those shortages in a time where they are desperately needed. I know you clearly don't have any real life work experience, and certainly don't have any experience as an essential worker, so I suggest educating yourself before pretending you have any knowledge about the situation aside from some opinions from far left bloggers you listened to that also don't have a clue what they are talking about.

As for the workers on farms, of course measures should take place to ensure they don't get sick or die, but protecting them from deportation? No, as I factually stated, they have no right to be here.

Statements of yours not even remotely based on how things work in the real world are why no one will ever take tankies seriously.
Yeah ok, keep fuming, just do it in your own office
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #365 on: April 09, 2020, 06:42:10 PM »

Aye
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #366 on: April 09, 2020, 06:44:51 PM »

Yeah ok, keep fuming, just do it in your own office

Not my fault you cant handle the truth.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #367 on: April 09, 2020, 11:29:42 PM »

Nay

I don't think a strike is helpful at this stage. The federal government is working towards the goals that PSOL has set, and a strike would cause unnecessary disruption to the economy and health system.

In particular, the ACLO spirit has been shown with the strict conditions attached to financial relief in our stimulus bill-such as no layoffs, maintaining collective bargaining protections and no obscene bonuses or stock buybacks. I have also invoked the Defense Production Act to spur the manufacture of vital medical supplies.

Therefore, I hope that the ACLO can give us a chance to keep up the good work, rather than ignoring the successful approach my administration and the Labor Party are taking to address this crisis and protect the working people of Atlasia.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #368 on: April 09, 2020, 11:38:55 PM »

Am I eligible to vote in this?
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #369 on: April 09, 2020, 11:46:42 PM »

Nay

I don't think a strike is helpful at this stage. The federal government is working towards the goals that PSOL has set, and a strike would cause unnecessary disruption to the economy and health system.

In particular, the ACLO spirit has been shown with the strict conditions attached to financial relief in our stimulus bill-such as no layoffs, maintaining collective bargaining protections and no obscene bonuses or stock buybacks. I have also invoked the Defense Production Act to spur the manufacture of vital medical supplies.

Therefore, I hope that the ACLO can give us a chance to keep up the good work, rather than ignoring the successful approach my administration and the Labor Party are taking to address this crisis and protect the working people of Atlasia.
The members shall decide if that is worth it at the end of the voting period.
There also is the vastly glaring problem of undocumented persons and those without legal homes being left out of the discussion in the actions partaken recently. If all this is accommodated for, the strike will not happen or end quite quickly. The ball there is on the dual leadership of Bagel23 and Elcaspar.

Well first you have to register to be apart of this union. After that, I guess yeah, but it seems a bit quick since you just joined. There isn’t a rule barring you from doing so.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #370 on: April 10, 2020, 01:52:35 AM »

Nay

And at the end of the day the GM decides if a national strike happens, not half a dozen users LARPing as trade union leaders. Otherwise half a dozen Federalists could also LARP as a trade union body and pretend to be the true representatives of the union movement.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #371 on: April 10, 2020, 05:30:31 AM »

NAY!!

Mostly for the reasons the president already established

Nay

And at the end of the day the GM decides if a national strike happens, not half a dozen users LARPing as trade union leaders. Otherwise half a dozen Federalists could also LARP as a trade union body and pretend to be the true representatives of the union movement.

From what I understand, events like strikes and what not can be triggered by the players. However, their effectiveness is indeed determined by the GM

Ninja could outright rule the ACLO to be non-existent, which would mean about half a dozen people in strike across all of Atlasia, most of which would be politicians, so the effect would be 0. Or he could rule that the strikes have paralyzed the nation and sent fear to the White House and what not.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #372 on: April 10, 2020, 06:37:12 AM »
« Edited: April 10, 2020, 06:40:47 AM by Southern Gov. West_Midlander »

Hats off to the President and to Senator Tack!

I appreciate their joining me in voting nay and I encourage the members of this body yet to vote to do so also.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #373 on: April 10, 2020, 08:19:31 AM »

Nay

I'd just add that Pericles has invoked the Defense Production Act and a bill is passing the house right now which uses this to mass produce protective equipment and testing equipment ect. I'm also writing a bill to provide accomodation for homeless people in this time, and testing is provided for free regardless of citizenship or residence status, so including for people who aren't here legally.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #374 on: April 10, 2020, 08:34:57 AM »

To be fair, Ninja has contacted me in the past to see what a hypothetical strike would look like. I don’t know the scale, obviously, but the union does exist.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies