Ontario municipal elections, 2018 (Oct 22)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:01:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Ontario municipal elections, 2018 (Oct 22)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Ontario municipal elections, 2018 (Oct 22)  (Read 11268 times)
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2018, 02:34:37 PM »

Anybody have a tab on how many defeated Liberal MPP's are running here as well as defeated Tory and NDP MP's from the 2015 election.
As far as I know, Chris Ballard is running for Mayor of Newmarket. Kathryn McGary is running for mayor of Cambridge. Steven Del Duca was supposed to run for regional council chair in York. I believe Han Dong is also running for Council.

Ballard is running for mayor Aurora, actually.

Here are some more:

Jim Bradley is running for regional council in Niagara.  Bill Mauro is running for mayor of Thunder Bay. Granville Anderson is running for Durham regional council. Dipika Damerla is running for Mississauga City Council. And Bob Delaney is "running" for Peel Region Chair, if that election is still going on.

And Michael Harris (who didn't run for re-election, because he was forced out of the PC party) is running for Waterloo regional council.

What's the competition like in Thunder Bay.  Unless they have a popular mayor, I think Bill Mauro has a fairly decent chance as he nearly won his riding and the Wynne government was very unpopular in the Thunder Bay area so I suspect the only reason he did as well as he did was personal popularity so I would think that would bode well for him.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2018, 02:56:19 PM »

Defeated Tories from 2015 running for municipal election:

- Mike Wallace is running for mayor of Burlington
- Ed Holder is running for mayor of London
- Bal Gosal is running for mayor of Brampton
- Brad Butt is running for city council in Mississauga

Brampton should be interesting with Brown in the fray.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2018, 03:49:55 PM »

I can't predict other city's municipal elections, as I don't live there, so I don't know. Might be tough for Holder to win in London though, because the have ranked ballots, and I don't think he can get 50% of the vote in a left-of-centre city like London.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2018, 03:52:26 PM »

Anybody have a tab on how many defeated Liberal MPP's are running here as well as defeated Tory and NDP MP's from the 2015 election.
As far as I know, Chris Ballard is running for Mayor of Newmarket. Kathryn McGary is running for mayor of Cambridge. Steven Del Duca was supposed to run for regional council chair in York. I believe Han Dong is also running for Council.

Ballard is running for mayor Aurora, actually.

Here are some more:

Jim Bradley is running for regional council in Niagara.  Bill Mauro is running for mayor of Thunder Bay. Granville Anderson is running for Durham regional council. Dipika Damerla is running for Mississauga City Council. And Bob Delaney is "running" for Peel Region Chair, if that election is still going on.

And Michael Harris (who didn't run for re-election, because he was forced out of the PC party) is running for Waterloo regional council.

What's the competition like in Thunder Bay.  Unless they have a popular mayor, I think Bill Mauro has a fairly decent chance as he nearly won his riding and the Wynne government was very unpopular in the Thunder Bay area so I suspect the only reason he did as well as he did was personal popularity so I would think that would bode well for him.

The mayor (Keith Hobbs) isn't running for re-election, he's facing criminal charges.

Well all know how popular Mauro is in Thunder Bay. He should probably win. His main competition will likely be from former NDP MP Iain Angus.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2018, 08:39:35 PM »

I can't predict other city's municipal elections, as I don't live there, so I don't know. Might be tough for Holder to win in London though, because the have ranked ballots, and I don't think he can get 50% of the vote in a left-of-centre city like London.

I am thinking Mike Wallace seems like the only one with a decent shot although don't know much about the current mayor of Burlington in terms of his popularity although he is on the left, former Green Party, but I am not sure if left vs. right matters as much municipally.  Hamilton's mayor Fred Eisenberger is a Tory and that didn't stop him from winning never mind he slammed Ford's decision.  Bal Gosal might be a possibility as you have a large Sikh community and I've never fully understand their voting patterns, other than the Sikh community unlike a lot of immigrant communities tends to be very active and has a large turnout usually.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2018, 04:04:42 PM »

I did a poll.

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2018, 03:01:00 PM »

And here's Ottawa

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2018, 09:01:57 AM »

The council reduction has been struck down in court! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2018, 09:09:34 AM »

The decision can be read here:

https://www.thestar.com/news/toronto-election/2018/09/10/superior-court-judge-strikes-down-legislation-cutting-the-size-of-toronto-city-council.html
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2018, 09:12:14 AM »

Good. But it's very telling that he's trying to settle scores from municipal politics even though he's the Premier now. Such a petty and parochial man.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2018, 10:14:50 AM »

The province will of course appeal, and he can always use the notwithstanding clause as well, though that would be heading into uncharted territory.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2018, 10:35:53 AM »

ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2018, 10:51:05 AM »

The council reduction has been struck down in court! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Freedom ruling!
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2018, 12:04:05 PM »

The ruling noted the bill violated Section 1, which cannot be overridden by the notwithstanding clause.

The press conference was scheduled for 12 PM, then delayed to 12:30, then 1 PM, now 2 PM. Doug Ford clearly had no clue how to proceed.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2018, 01:10:17 PM »

Our idiot Premier is absolutely livid! After beginning with a rant against left-wingers, he confirms that he is (a) appealing and (b) reintroducing Bill 5 next week, invoking the notwithstanding clause (s. 33). Not only that, he sends out a warning that he's ready to use the notwithstanding clause again in the future.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2018, 02:25:51 PM »

Galactic levels of pettiness.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2018, 02:32:52 PM »

Our idiot Premier is absolutely livid! After beginning with a rant against left-wingers, he confirms that he is (a) appealing and (b) reintroducing Bill 5 next week, invoking the notwithstanding clause (s. 33). Not only that, he sends out a warning that he's ready to use the notwithstanding clause again in the future.

This is honestly terrifying that he will set this new precedent.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2018, 02:53:24 PM »

Our idiot Premier also slipped in during his press conference that the judge was 'appointed by McGuinty'. Ontario Superior Court judges are appointed by the federal government; the one in question in 2005.

MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2018, 02:54:25 PM »

Whosoever could've seen this coming
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2018, 03:02:22 PM »

This is honestly terrifying that he will set this new precedent.
If he did that, then the notwithstanding clause itself would hopefully be in jeopardy.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2018, 03:08:26 PM »

This will be interesting in how this plays out, but I cannot see it helping Ford.  It will also be interesting if some of the more moderate members in his caucus start to get worried.  Usually people don't stand up unless the party is headed for defeat, but I wouldn't be surprised if this continues over the next four years if you see a few members quit the party.  Heck I would even at this point be willing to bet the Liberals will be able to pick up at least one defection thus giving them official party status.  While off topic relative to municipal elections, I do think this will help Trudeau in 2019 as he has not just Trump, but now Ford, and probably soon Kenney to use as whipping boys.

Going back to municipal elections, I heard Brown is leading in Brampton.  This might help him even though Brampton's current mayor is centre-left.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2018, 03:32:42 PM »

I attempted to also poll Brampton, but didn't get very many cases. Brown was in 2nd place, but the data is fairly meaningless, except to suggest it's probably a 3-way race between him, mayor Jeffrey and John Sprovieri.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2018, 04:46:05 PM »

RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2018, 04:54:37 PM »

RogueBeaver
Atlas Star