Ontario municipal elections, 2018 (Oct 22)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 10:34:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Ontario municipal elections, 2018 (Oct 22)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7
Author Topic: Ontario municipal elections, 2018 (Oct 22)  (Read 11720 times)
DL
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: October 20, 2018, 03:55:01 PM »

Ok well then i will be happy whatever the outcome in Brampton. If Jeffrey wins I'll be happy since she seems mildly progressive and she is the choice of the NDP MPPs there. If Brown wins then i will be happy for no other reason than that it will drive Doug Ford nuts.

In fact, if Brown wins the Brampton mayoralty i wouldnt put it past Ford to recall the legislature and bring in a bill abolishing the city of Brampton and putting it under direct Ontario government trusteeship
toaster
Canada

« Reply #126 on: October 20, 2018, 06:56:20 PM »

I haven't seen a single Jefferey signs on private properties in the Springdale area (Brampton North, ONDP area held by Kevin Yarde). It's all been for Brown (and one for another candidate, Spo.. something?).  And let me tell you, people in this part of Brampton love putting up election signs (so many for council, trustee, regional council, etc).
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #127 on: October 20, 2018, 07:27:38 PM »

I haven't seen a single Jefferey signs on private properties in the Springdale area (Brampton North, ONDP area held by Kevin Yarde). It's all been for Brown (and one for another candidate, Spo.. something?).  And let me tell you, people in this part of Brampton love putting up election signs (so many for council, trustee, regional council, etc).

Polling in Brampton is near impossible, so quite possibly Brown will win in a landslide.

Ok well then i will be happy whatever the outcome in Brampton. If Jeffrey wins I'll be happy since she seems mildly progressive and she is the choice of the NDP MPPs there. If Brown wins then i will be happy for no other reason than that it will drive Doug Ford nuts.

In fact, if Brown wins the Brampton mayoralty i wouldnt put it past Ford to recall the legislature and bring in a bill abolishing the city of Brampton and putting it under direct Ontario government trusteeship

More realistically, Ford will try to amalgamate all of Peel into one super municipality.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #128 on: October 20, 2018, 09:06:06 PM »

Polling in Brampton is near impossible, so quite possibly Brown will win in a landslide.

More realistically, Ford will try to amalgamate all of Peel into one super municipality.

That might though get some pushback from Sylvia Jones.  Half the population of her riding lives in Caledon and unlike Mississauga and Brampton, Caledon is still quite rural so wouldn't make sense to lump it in with a larger suburb.  Perhaps he will just merge Brampton and Mississauga though, that wouldn't surprise me.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #129 on: October 20, 2018, 09:10:22 PM »

Most of Ottawa's land area is rural, but that didn't stop Mike Harris from amalgamating us.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #130 on: October 20, 2018, 09:18:22 PM »

Most of Ottawa's land area is rural, but that didn't stop Mike Harris from amalgamating us.

Good point and I believe the same could be said with Hamilton.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #131 on: October 20, 2018, 09:36:59 PM »

Good point and I believe the same could be said with Hamilton.

Yes, and Sudbury too (more like forests rather than farms). There are countless examples of smaller municipalities too.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #132 on: October 21, 2018, 10:18:59 PM »

Final Brampton poll from Mainstreet:

Brown: 46%
Jeffrey: 36%
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #133 on: October 21, 2018, 10:50:54 PM »

Here are some tidbits about two mayoral elections in my area (Oxford County) I can share:

Woodstock - This one might be a pretty close one. Incumbent mayor Trevor Birch is being challenged by city councilor Shawn Shapton. The yard signs are about 50/50 here.

Norwich - Tara King, the NDP candidate for Oxford in June's provincial elections, is running here against incumbent Larry Martin. Hopefully, this turns out well (I voted for her in June, obviously) but given that the PCs won here by double digits in June and it's against an incumbent, I'm not sure.
toaster
Canada

« Reply #134 on: October 22, 2018, 04:23:53 PM »

That might though get some pushback from Sylvia Jones.  Half the population of her riding lives in Caledon and unlike Mississauga and Brampton, Caledon is still quite rural white so wouldn't make sense to lump it in with a larger suburb.  Perhaps he will just merge Brampton and Mississauga though, that wouldn't surprise me.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #135 on: October 22, 2018, 07:05:51 PM »

The polls have closed. Results in 10 minutes.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #136 on: October 22, 2018, 07:20:01 PM »

Brampton is too close to call. 76/169 polls are in, and it's:

Patrick Brown 44.83%
Linda Jeffrey 41.98%
Njall
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -5.91

« Reply #137 on: October 22, 2018, 07:30:37 PM »

Tory wins in Toronto, 63% to 24% for Keesmat. It looks like Keesmat may win Davenport, but Tory seems to have won all 24 remaining Wards.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #138 on: October 22, 2018, 07:30:55 PM »

Giorgio Mammoliti has been defeated, looks like Michael Ford beat Crisanti.  John Tory wins by a landslide as we would expect but shocked Faith Goldy got 3.4%.  A small number but still shocking over 20,000 people in one of the world's most multicultural cities support a white supremacist.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #139 on: October 22, 2018, 07:32:11 PM »

Matlow and Jimmy K win, Brown leads by 2200.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #140 on: October 22, 2018, 08:09:57 PM »

Tory wins in Toronto, 63% to 24% for Keesmat. It looks like Keesmat may win Davenport, but Tory seems to have won all 24 remaining Wards.

Wow. Davenport was Chow's only riding win too.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #141 on: October 22, 2018, 08:10:41 PM »

Ottawa's progressive city councillor count doubles from two to four. Huzzah!
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #142 on: October 22, 2018, 08:11:31 PM »

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #143 on: October 22, 2018, 08:22:38 PM »

Wow, the polling was way off in Beaches-East York. Tory's pick of Brad Bradford defeated former NDP MP Matt Kellway Sad
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #144 on: October 22, 2018, 08:57:53 PM »

What's with Islamophobe Kevin J Johnston getting 13% in Mississauga?  Or this just a case of horrible turnout and since the alt right has a motivated base they benefited from that.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #145 on: October 22, 2018, 09:08:11 PM »

Congratulations, Doug Ford Sad

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #146 on: October 22, 2018, 09:34:37 PM »

Kingston votes to adopt ranked ballots!
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #147 on: October 22, 2018, 09:57:56 PM »

Brampton is too close to call. 76/169 polls are in, and it's:

Patrick Brown 44.83%
Linda Jeffrey 41.98%

DJ Scratchutory Rape is resurrected.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #148 on: October 22, 2018, 10:03:23 PM »

Here are the results for Oxford County mayoral races:

Woodstock - Incumbent Trevor Birtch defeats city councilor Shawn Shapton by 1748 votes.

Ingersoll - In a rematch of 2006 and 2010, incumbent Ted Comiskey defeats ex-mayor Paul Holbrough by a 531 vote plurality.

Norwich - Incumbent Larry Martin defeats NDP candidate for Oxford Tara King in an 1874 vote blowout. Sad

East Zorra-Tavistock - Incumbent mayor Donald McKay defeats Deputy Mayor Maureen Ralph by a 363 vote margin.

Blandford-Blenheim - Councilor Mark Peterson easily defeats John Mailloux by 1646 votes.

Tillsonburg - Incumbent Stephen Molnar defeats former deputy mayor Mark Renaud by 976 votes.

Southwest Oxford - David Mayberry was acclaimed.

Zorra - Councilor Marcus Ryan defeats Councilor Doug Matheson. Can't find the margin on this one.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #149 on: October 22, 2018, 10:10:19 PM »

Kingston votes to adopt ranked ballots!

Looks like Cambridge is going to as well! Smiley

I'm also super chuffed at Shawn Menard and Theresa Kavanagh getting elected to city council here in Ottawa. Both are true orange New Democrats. Menard beat incumbent David Chernushenko (the man Elizabeth May beat to become Green Party leader), and Kavanagh picked up an open seat that was vacated by Liberal Mark Taylor.

In my home ward, it was a nailbiter with incumbent councillor Jean Cloutier, right of centre Liberal beating a left of centre Liberal, Raylene Lang-Dion by just 200 votes. I of course voted for neither of them.

The school trustee race was between two progressives. I voted for the card carrying New Democrat who lost to the incumbent, who has only donated to the NDP. Tongue
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies