Ontario municipal elections, 2018 (Oct 22) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:31:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Ontario municipal elections, 2018 (Oct 22) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ontario municipal elections, 2018 (Oct 22)  (Read 11475 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« on: July 28, 2018, 09:59:49 AM »

Also if you want to talk about bigots running, I believe Kevin J Johnston is running for mayor again in Mississauga, off course he will lose badly and be lucky to get 2%, quite probably under 1%.

For Hatman - Not sure if you followed this one closely, but remember Terry Kilrea who ran for mayor in Ottawa.  I believe he got something like 36% of the popular vote and if his twitter comments are anything to go on, he seems pretty far to the right.  Big Trump supporter although hasn't made any racist remarks like Faith Goldy that I can find, although doesn't mean he hasn't.

For far right candidates, in 1974, Don Andrews came in 2nd in Toronto, although David Crombie won by a landslide and faced no serious challenge.  Guessing it was a donkey vote as his name was first listed alphabetically so many who didn't like Crombie voted for him without realizing who he was.

I don't follow Terry Kilrea on Twitter, but I'm very familiar with his "political career". Makes a lot of sense that he's a #MAGA a$$hole now. No, he's not a white nationalist though. Interestingly we did have a white nationalist/nazi run in that election (2003) for mayor, Donna Upson. She won 0.7% of the vote.

Speaking of the 1974 Toronto mayoral race, I can't believe this was a thing...

Don Andrews could've become mayor!

Replacing the old mayor with the runner up isn't that outrageous if the city in question is a Victorian village. It was probably one of those outdated laws that never got taken  off the books.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 02:56:19 PM »

Defeated Tories from 2015 running for municipal election:

- Mike Wallace is running for mayor of Burlington
- Ed Holder is running for mayor of London
- Bal Gosal is running for mayor of Brampton
- Brad Butt is running for city council in Mississauga

Brampton should be interesting with Brown in the fray.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 05:15:06 AM »

I assume the stay was because it’s really close to election time.

From what I know, The court actually admonished the lower court. Effectively saying that this was not really an infringement on freedom of expression, this is just an inconvenience, etc, from my opinion it was a very belittling verdict for those who oppose Bill 5/31 (like me) AND, that section 3 does not apply to Municipal elections. Take a moment there, the charter section that guarantees free and fair elections, does not apply to municipalities since they are a product of the province. Mind-Blown.
Anywho, city might appeal this.

Its changing the size of council so it seems like a stretch to say its inhibiting free and fair elections. Bad policy =/= unconstitutional.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 11:40:27 AM »

I've always been a strong NDP supporter but I won't be supporting Keesmatt after what she did (or didn't do) for my community when she was in charge of planning. 

Which was?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 09:36:45 AM »

There's a vote compass for the Toronto election: https://votecompass.cbc.ca/toronto/ Smiley

I got:
Keesmaat: 77%
Tory: 66%

It will also give you alignment with ward candidates if you pick a ward.

They didnt put Goldy on there? Tongue
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 09:57:56 PM »

Brampton is too close to call. 76/169 polls are in, and it's:

Patrick Brown 44.83%
Linda Jeffrey 41.98%

DJ Scratchutory Rape is resurrected.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 08:29:08 AM »

Kingston votes to adopt ranked ballots!

Looks like Cambridge is going to as well! Smiley

I'm also super chuffed at Shawn Menard and Theresa Kavanagh getting elected to city council here in Ottawa. Both are true orange New Democrats. Menard beat incumbent David Chernushenko (the man Elizabeth May beat to become Green Party leader), and Kavanagh picked up an open seat that was vacated by Liberal Mark Taylor.

In my home ward, it was a nailbiter with incumbent councillor Jean Cloutier, right of centre Liberal beating a left of centre Liberal, Raylene Lang-Dion by just 200 votes. I of course voted for neither of them.

The school trustee race was between two progressives. I voted for the card carrying New Democrat who lost to the incumbent, who has only donated to the NDP. Tongue

Wow the Greens produced an unpopular incumbent who went down in defeat. They're all grown up Cry
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies