The Aloha Hour (WE WERE RIGHT) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:31:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Aloha Hour (WE WERE RIGHT) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Aloha Hour (WE WERE RIGHT)  (Read 2665 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« on: July 29, 2018, 11:24:33 PM »

I’d like to see a court case on whether or not someone can delete their vote and vote again. I have doubts on it but am unsure if there is precedent.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 11:57:11 AM »

In my time here, it has been considered valid to delete your ballot and submit a new ballot. This happened in my first election and a few weeks ago, I honored a similar precedent by giving the heads up to do the same thing (although in this case, people started voting too early and three or so people ended up deleting and re-voting - I also deleted a post prior to voting in the thread when I warned that all early votes would be invalid). If you ask me, from the standpoint of being the election administrator, Pericles had followed all rules at the time of closing by looking solely at the voting booth thread so if this had not gone public, it'd be hard to prove that Pericles did indeed cast an illegal vote because we obviously can't see deleted posts. Someone has a few hours before I will certify the results to change my mind but I see no legal argument that one can not delete their vote.
In Virginia's case, her second vote would be valid since her first vote occurred before the vote even happen. I'd be interested in hearing Truman's reasoning on this since he keeps advising people that they can delete their votes and re-vote, I personally don't see how it is much different from editing your vote after 20 minutes (illegal).

If there isn't a court case (not too much point since it won't change the results), I strongly urge Congress to pass legislation clarifying that it is prohibited for individuals to delete their votes and revote. Maybe since Pericles took advantage of this potentialloophole, he will take the lead on getting it passed through Congress?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 12:02:50 PM »

In my time here, it has been considered valid to delete your ballot and submit a new ballot. This happened in my first election and a few weeks ago, I honored a similar precedent by giving the heads up to do the same thing (although in this case, people started voting too early and three or so people ended up deleting and re-voting - I also deleted a post prior to voting in the thread when I warned that all early votes would be invalid). If you ask me, from the standpoint of being the election administrator, Pericles had followed all rules at the time of closing by looking solely at the voting booth thread so if this had not gone public, it'd be hard to prove that Pericles did indeed cast an illegal vote because we obviously can't see deleted posts. Someone has a few hours before I will certify the results to change my mind but I see no legal argument that one can not delete their vote.
In Virginia's case, her second vote would be valid since her first vote occurred before the vote even happen. I'd be interested in hearing Truman's reasoning on this since he keeps advising people that they can delete their votes and re-vote, I personally don't see how it is much different from editing your vote after 20 minutes (illegal).

If there isn't a court case (not too much point since it won't change the results), I strongly urge Congress to pass legislation clarifying that it is prohibited for individuals to delete their votes and revote.

How do you enforce that though aside from eyewitness?
Eyewitnesses and screenshots, there is no other mechanism unless we made drastic changes to how votes occur. Use vote trackers as it'll be hard to explain how someone is on a vote tracker and then their vote disappears. Someone would have to flat-out lie to get away with it, hopefully there aren't too many lying losers in the game!! Smiley  If we're not going to act, then we might as well remove the 20 minute editing rule and let people edit their votes throughout the course of the election.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies