Updates from Mormonland
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:56:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Updates from Mormonland
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Updates from Mormonland  (Read 759 times)
Cassandra
Situationist

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 30, 2018, 06:35:17 PM »
« edited: August 18, 2018, 11:36:33 PM by Situationist »

I am moving to Utah in two weeks. I will not be in Salt Lake City. I have never met any Mormons before, and would like to have insight into Mormon culture if anyone would be able to offer some. I am particular curious about the social dynamics. Do Mormons make friends outside of their church?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 07:16:19 AM »
« Edited: August 02, 2018, 07:20:29 AM by Torie »

I have traveled extensively in Utah, to every corner of the state, and in particular the like 90% LDS southwest quadrant of the state. (I just adore the scenery of that state - having as it does a topography that is a stunning kaleidoscope of color and shapes that is unique to this planet.) I suspect there is a substantial difference between the experiences of tourists, and actual residents. As a tourist, I never felt anything but welcomed, and most everyone was friendly, and as helpful as they could possibly be. I think that is part of the LDS culture actually. This was true even when it was obvious that they were interacting with two openly gay men (one of whom was, and is, a person of color I might add).

For residents, I have no personal experience. So I googled the matter, and came up with this article, for posters to peruse and comment upon.
Cassandra
Situationist

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 09:29:49 AM »

I have traveled extensively in Utah, to every corner of the state, and in particular the like 90% LDS southwest quadrant of the state. (I just adore the scenery of that state - having as it does a topography that is a stunning kaleidoscope of color and shapes that is unique to this planet.) I suspect there is a substantial difference between the experiences of tourists, and actual residents. As a tourist, I never felt anything but welcomed, and most everyone was friendly, and as helpful as they could possibly be. I think that is part of the LDS culture actually. This was true even when it was obvious that they were interacting with two openly gay men (one of whom was, and is, a person of color I might add).

For residents, I have no personal experience. So I googled the matter, and came up with this article, for posters to peruse and comment upon.

Thanks for sharing this. I have read quite a bit on the internet about Mormons shunning outsiders, both socially and with ramifications for employment and such. I am hoping there is some selection bias there (people with bad experiences are more likely to gripe about them on the internet than people with unremarkable experiences), but we will see.
Cassandra
Situationist

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 11:36:08 PM »

Update: all beer sold in grocery stores is less than 3.2% alcoholic. But that isn't marked; didn't find out until I opened my case of Tecate up. So I went to the only State Liquor Store in town and bought a bottle of tequila to make a little Mexican mule. I guess you can say The Church drove me to sinnin', lol
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 12:33:15 AM »

B*(ch please, you're in Salt Lake...you're not even in Sandy or West Jordan or Logan or Provo [good gravy, especially Provo]...or wherever the heck Zioneer is.
Cassandra
Situationist

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 12:57:48 AM »

B*(ch please, you're in Salt Lake...you're not even in Sandy or West Jordan or Logan or Provo [good gravy, especially Provo]...or wherever the heck Zioneer is.

In Logan. You're right, could be Provo. But still....
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 06:15:15 AM »

Update: all beer sold in grocery stores is less than 3.2% alcoholic.

TIL, freaking Utah has more liberal liquor laws than Nova Scotia. Angry
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 12:11:05 PM »

Update: all beer sold in grocery stores is less than 3.2% alcoholic. But that isn't marked; didn't find out until I opened my case of Tecate up. So I went to the only State Liquor Store in town and bought a bottle of tequila to make a little Mexican mule. I guess you can say The Church drove me to sinnin', lol

OMG, Utah is hell
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies