Prediction: Trump will either win outright or refuse to concede.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 02:08:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Prediction: Trump will either win outright or refuse to concede.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Prediction: Trump will either win outright or refuse to concede.  (Read 1829 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 01, 2018, 01:04:36 AM »

Remember "the election is totally rigged, folks?"

Yeah.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 08:04:16 AM »

Yeah.

He can refuse to concede until he's blue in the face. 46 will still get sworn in, and White House staff will still put all his stuff on the Pennsylvania Avenue curb (I get dibs on the gold Palm Pilot he uses to tweet).

Prediction: with Alex Trebek stepping down in 2020, Trump will take over as host, renaming the show "White Jeopardy!"
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 08:24:26 AM »

This is what concerns me.

I know that it in theory won't stop the 46th president from being sworn in.  But what if the secret service side with Trump?  What about his supporters who'll eat up every refusal to concede by Trump?  What if they take to the streets?  Most of them are armed and a lot of them are crazy.

I fully expect Trump to question the results and even refuse to concede should he lose.  He'll be louder than ever, though, and he'll inspire in his voters rebellion and violence and they'll listen.  Mass shootings, bombings, terrorist-type attacks should be expected from his side should he lose reelection.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 08:35:05 AM »

I know that it in theory won't stop the 46th president from being sworn in.  But what if the secret service side with Trump?  What about his supporters who'll eat up every refusal to concede by Trump?  What if they take to the streets?  Most of them are armed and a lot of them are crazy.

I fully expect Trump to question the results and even refuse to concede should he lose.  He'll be louder than ever, though, and he'll inspire in his voters rebellion and violence and they'll listen.  Mass shootings, bombings, terrorist-type attacks should be expected from his side should he lose reelection.

I really doubt Trump supporters would engineer a coup. Whats likely to happen is the SS does not side with Trump, the army does not side wit Trump, some supporters demonstrate, some go violent, but the police do not side with Trump. And if they do do this, it just weakens the Conservative cause even more.

Many GOP politicians would probably lambaste Trump's name after he leaves, and without Trump in the Whitehouse, his influence on the party starts to collapse.

And, TBH, the only way they would be justified is if the election was close, which is unlikely to occur. It will either be a Trump win, or Democratic Victory.
foxh8er
Rookie
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 09:18:17 AM »

Yeah.
Prediction: with Alex Trebek stepping down in 2020, Trump will take over as host, renaming the show "White Jeopardy!"

Given his tweets this morning about Bob Mueller it could be "Double Jeopardy"
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 09:40:29 AM »

I really doubt Trump supporters would engineer a coup. Whats likely to happen is the SS does not side with Trump, the army does not side wit Trump, some supporters demonstrate, some go violent, but the police do not side with Trump. And if they do do this, it just weakens the Conservative cause even more.

Many GOP politicians would probably lambaste Trump's name after he leaves, and without Trump in the Whitehouse, his influence on the party starts to collapse.

And, TBH, the only way they would be justified is if the election was close, which is unlikely to occur. It will either be a Trump win, or Democratic Victory.

Fox News: Something something Deep State, something something illegal voters.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 09:47:06 AM »

Given he had accepted defeat the day before he actually won, he’ll leave office if and when he actually does in 2020. Reality would set into him at a certain point.
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 10:02:14 AM »

Given he had accepted defeat the day before he actually won, he’ll leave office if and when he actually does in 2020. Reality would set into him at a certain point.

It all depends, really, on what's best for his future in right-wing media. Concede too quickly and he'll get blamed for giving away the election, drag it out too long and he'll look like a sore loser out of touch with reality.

• If Trump is within 10,000 votes of the Presidency, expect legal challenges and calls for recounts to last into about the first week of December, or until he runs out of legal options.
  • If Trump is left with more than 100,000 votes to make up in any one state, expect Trump to go on a two day tweet storm about voting irregularities, vote fraud, and foreign interference before finally conceding Friday morning.
  • If Trump loses 2008-style, expect an immediate concession, followed by a three-month Fox-a-thon about how unfairly he was treated in the media, and how the entire system was rigged against him.
oraclebones
Rookie
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2018, 11:24:01 AM »

I can't put it past him to refuse to concede, but ultimately that wouldn't stop his presidency from ending.

In typical Trump fashion, I would expect some combination of finger-pointing (voter fraud; deep state; Russian interference on behalf of Democrats) and delusional denial ("Four years was all I needed to make America great again, so mission accomplished, no need for a second term").

It's hard to imagine what a Trump concession speech would be like. But as long as he doesn't actively foment insurrection, I don't really care.
Cassandra
Situationist

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2018, 11:46:24 AM »

This is a completely reasonable fear. The far right is armed, delusional, and extremely dangerous.
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2018, 12:21:17 PM »

This is a completely reasonable fear. The far right is armed, delusional, and extremely dangerous.

Sadly true. Hopefully saner voices prevail on Fox News, which really has the disposition of half the country under its total control. They can sensationalize unfounded rumors of foreign meddling and vote fraud, or they can celebrate Donald Trump's "amazing Presidency full of big wins" and how graceful Republicans handled a peaceful transition of power (unlike those "crybaby Resist losers" after 2016).

Love them or hate them, Fox News are the puppet masters. Not even Alex Jones can top them.
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2018, 04:18:43 PM »

He'll be louder than ever, though, and he'll inspire in his voters rebellion and violence and they'll listen.  Mass shootings, bombings, terrorist-type attacks should be expected from his side should he lose reelection.

Talk about projection. It wasn't a Trump supporter that walked onto a Virginia baseball field last year and tried to murder a bunch of the other party's Congressmen. It was one of your ilk.
twenty42
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2018, 04:43:37 PM »

Call me crazy, but I think the Democrats are the ones who have trouble accepting election results...
Horatii
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.50, S: 0.60

P
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2018, 04:59:27 PM »

Leftists take Trump too seriously when he's obviously bluffing or exaggerating and not seriously enough when he's doing anything else. And I think the past two years have gone to show that the left cares as little about election etiquette and the integrity of the results as Trump does.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2018, 05:57:15 PM »

He'll be louder than ever, though, and he'll inspire in his voters rebellion and violence and they'll listen.  Mass shootings, bombings, terrorist-type attacks should be expected from his side should he lose reelection.

Talk about projection. It wasn't a Trump supporter that walked onto a Virginia baseball field last year and tried to murder a bunch of the other party's Congressmen. It was one of your ilk.

Lmao you embarrass my state
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2018, 05:58:18 PM »

Call me crazy, but I think the Democrats are the ones who have trouble accepting election results...

The Democrats aren't the ones acting like Hillary Clinton is still running for president.
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2018, 06:09:52 PM »

The Democrats aren't the ones acting like Hillary Clinton is still running for president.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2018, 07:57:53 PM »

They seem to be going our way recently.

Ihave good cause to distrust this President to stand up for the democratic heritage of America against his despotic and dictatorial tendencies.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2018, 08:08:54 PM »

Large portions of the country are unable or unwilling to the accept the outcome of the 2014 and 2016 elections.
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2018, 08:16:21 PM »

Large portions of the country are unable or unwilling to the accept the outcome of the 2014 and 2016 elections.

Being unhappy about the results/believing the system is undemocratic =! literally believing the results are illegitimate. A huge number of Republicans believe that millions of illegal votes were cast in 2016, how will they respond to that if they don't also win?
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2018, 08:45:28 PM »

Thats why democrats need to win big in 2020. Leave no room for doubt, even on the right.
oraclebones
Rookie
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2018, 08:54:12 PM »

Just to point out the obvious, this thread asked the question about Trump himself refusing to concede, not about what his supporters might do. Hillary Clinton conceded the morning following the election, and I never heard her question the voting results themselves and that she had lost the electoral college vote.

Thats why democrats need to win big in 2020. Leave no room for doubt, even on the right.

There's always room for doubt, if you're living in your own version of reality.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2018, 09:21:21 PM »

Being unhappy about the results/believing the system is undemocratic =! literally believing the results are illegitimate. A huge number of Republicans believe that millions of illegal votes were cast in 2016, how will they respond to that if they don't also win?

We have actual evidence of this. In 1960 Kennedy and Daley certainly stole the electoral votes of Illinois, at the minimum. Illegal votes and voter fraud conspiracies had been detected, charged, and proven in Daley's Chicago.

Richard Nixon took his loss like a real man.

It's not just the United States of course. Some fellows in the UK are trying to nullify Brexit on the grounds that the Leavers engaged in some sort of technical campaign finance violation or something, and therefore the voters do not count. Same deal.
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2018, 08:21:55 AM »

We have actual evidence of this. In 1960 Kennedy and Daley certainly stole the electoral votes of Illinois, at the minimum. Illegal votes and voter fraud conspiracies had been detected, charged, and proven in Daley's Chicago.

Richard Nixon took his loss like a real man.

It's not just the United States of course. Some fellows in the UK are trying to nullify Brexit on the grounds that the Leavers engaged in some sort of technical campaign finance violation or something, and therefore the voters do not count. Same deal.

ok, so even if this were true, are you really suggesting that the way people should respond to being the victim of political fraud is to take it lying down? Don't you think that is a good way to lose liberal democracy?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2018, 05:22:25 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies