Are you worried Trump will win in 2020?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 10:05:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Are you worried Trump will win in 2020?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Are you worried Trump will win in 2020?
Yes I am planning to move to Canada if he does.

Yes but if he wins I am not moving.

No I want him to win again.

I'm neutral.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 92

Author Topic: Are you worried Trump will win in 2020?  (Read 3803 times)
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2018, 06:43:31 PM »

I'm worried because it's a near certainty.
SN2903
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: 3.91

P P
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2018, 07:49:00 PM »

I'm worried because it's a near certainty.
trump will win Bigly in 2020.
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2018, 08:30:57 PM »

Of course, because I don't want him to win. Duh. He still has a 45-50% chance to win in my opinion.
I think it is more like 60-70% the Democrats are clueless when it comes to the Midwest and the economy is roaring.

I love how they lose Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania all by less than .8%, yet they have incumbent Senators in each state who will in all likelihood win re-election this November. Really clueless there, huh?
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2018, 08:32:28 PM »

Trump is probably the best thing to ever happen to the Democratic Party since FDR and JFK.  If anything, they should pray that he wins in 2020.  2022 would be a Republican bloodbath with the Dems likely to attain near-supermajorities in Congress and over 30 governorships (plus the majority of statehouses).

But it would be terrible for America. We would probably end up with a level of political rancor not known since the Civil War. We would have civil unrest characteristic of that just before the Civil War. Conspiracy theories on the Far Left would be as nasty as those on the Right today.

Nobody would believe anything as the American political system solves nothing but tempers heat up. Maybe there would be outright domestic terrorism with plenty of targets.

Count on Trump having purged the FBI of anyone not a Trump supporter, and as much as an 8-1 split in Supreme Court decisions (Sonia Sotomayor is the sole dissenter) that are unpopular with sizable majorities. Donald Trump has no legal training and no respect for legal precedent. Consider how President Obama prepared America for Obergfell -- he could predict which way the ruling would go based on state-by-state patterns, and he got Americans to prepare themselves for the ruling once it applied to all fifty states and US territories.

krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2018, 10:49:47 PM »

Trump is probably the best thing to ever happen to the Democratic Party since FDR and JFK.  If anything, they should pray that he wins in 2020.  2022 would be a Republican bloodbath with the Dems likely to attain near-supermajorities in Congress and over 30 governorships (plus the majority of statehouses).

But it would be terrible for America. We would probably end up with a level of political rancor not known since the Civil War. We would have civil unrest characteristic of that just before the Civil War. Conspiracy theories on the Far Left would be as nasty as those on the Right today.

Nobody would believe anything as the American political system solves nothing but tempers heat up. Maybe there would be outright domestic terrorism with plenty of targets.

Count on Trump having purged the FBI of anyone not a Trump supporter, and as much as an 8-1 split in Supreme Court decisions (Sonia Sotomayor is the sole dissenter) that are unpopular with sizable majorities. Donald Trump has no legal training and no respect for legal precedent. Consider how President Obama prepared America for Obergfell -- he could predict which way the ruling would go based on state-by-state patterns, and he got Americans to prepare themselves for the ruling once it applied to all fifty states and US territories.

A meaningless rounding error of the overall population will sulk and whine. That is not political rancor. That is losers being losers.

Thankfully the first 18 months of the Trump years have been great and Glorious.
Ohioguy29

« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2018, 12:29:06 AM »

Yeah, I don't have much faith that Democratic primary voters will choose well in 2020. But they could prove me wrong.

I also worry that we'll win, but that we'll become a party I hate. I don't want to end up politically stranded.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2018, 12:45:56 AM »

Even if he does win re-election, 2022 will be an even bigger bloodbath than 2018, 2008, and 2006 combined. After suffering through six years of this sh**t 2022 will likely be 2010 with the parties reversed: a 60+ House seat gain, double digit gains in the Senate, winning a majority of governorships and dozens of state legislatures. Even if we can’t get rid of Mussolini in 2020, the midterm will be the consolation prize. 2024 will give way to a Democratic Reagan-like figure.
Jersey Jimmy
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.13

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2018, 02:29:20 AM »

My end goal is moving to Canada no matter where this country heads. This would just speed up the process.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2018, 03:50:21 AM »

Yes, but obviously no need to move. But wouldn't as US citizen either. I really hope he gets beaten badly, because his presidency is a disaster and poisen to the political climate.
SN2903
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: 3.91

P P
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2018, 09:46:24 AM »

Even if he does win re-election, 2022 will be an even bigger bloodbath than 2018, 2008, and 2006 combined. After suffering through six years of this sh**t 2022 will likely be 2010 with the parties reversed: a 60+ House seat gain, double digit gains in the Senate, winning a majority of governorships and dozens of state legislatures. Even if we can’t get rid of Mussolini in 2020, the midterm will be the consolation prize. 2024 will give way to a Democratic Reagan-like figure.
Haha you're dreaming. Sure I think 2022 could be a bad year for the GOP but the GOP has a chance of winning in 2024. It depends on where the democrats go in terms of far left or moderating.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2018, 09:49:35 AM »

Haha you're dreaming. Sure I think 2022 could be a bad year for the GOP but the GOP has a chance of winning in 2024. It depends on where the democrats go in terms of far left or moderating.

Yeah but just imagine the bloodbath in 2026 if the GOP wins again in 2024. The Dems would gain 500 seats! /s
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2018, 10:14:55 AM »

Yes, I am because like RFKFan68 said: Americans, in general, are stupid.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2018, 04:36:40 PM »

Yes. I never underestimated him in 2016 and I will certainly not do that again in 2020. I don't know what to expect from the 2020 campaign season, and those unknowns could be what gives Trump another win. If he wins again, I won't be surprised but I think I will be done with this country for real. If I am in a better place financially, professionally, mentally, and personally I may very well attempt to leave the country. I don't think I would be able to take it anymore, I'm already pretty close to this point as is.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2018, 07:02:49 PM »

This is a center right country, and the country rather have a GOP party in power than a Dem one. However, suburban females arent happy about the tax cuts for the wealthy and want governing party that reform entitlements and criminal justice reform. Trump used the email as smoke and mirrors, so that he can pass his tax cuts
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2018, 12:07:35 AM »

The Republican Party went completely baths!t unhinged in 2009/2010 and they only lost negative 63 seats that year.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2018, 12:08:05 AM »

No I'm not worried because he wont win
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2018, 12:09:09 AM »

Of course, there's always a bit of worry in the back of your head no matter how improbable, and it's certainly possible.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2018, 12:47:56 AM »

I am not worried about a Trump victory in 2020. While I do not like Trump, did not and will not vote for him, and would prefer that he loses, I also recognize that the 2022 midterms would serve as a check upon his Presidency, and that he won't do any more harm then he already has. If anything, a Trump victory in 2020 will, I believe, help pave the way for a realignment in our electorate that may benefit the Democrats in the long run.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2018, 12:50:04 AM »

I am not worried about a Trump victory in 2020. While I do not like Trump, did not and will not vote for him, and would prefer that he loses, I also recognize that the 2022 midterms would serve as a check upon his Presidency, and that he won't do any more harm then he already has. If anything, a Trump victory in 2020 will, I believe, help pave the way for a realignment in our electorate that may benefit the Democrats in the long run.

The long run being the next 8 years, after which it switches back to the GOP for 8 years, and then so on and so on just like it's been going since 1992.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2018, 12:52:27 AM »

The long run being the next 8 years, after which it switches back to the GOP for 8 years, and then so on and so on just like it's been going since 1992.

I was talking about a realignment that is akin to what was predicted by TheDoctor in his "Between the Majorities" timeline, one that sees the Democrats returning to their populist, working-class roots and Republicans becoming a socially moderate, technocratic party. A realignment similar to those of 1860, 1896, 1932, and 1980.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2018, 01:01:21 AM »

I was talking about a realignment that is akin to what was predicted by TheDoctor in his "Between the Majorities" timeline, one that sees the Democrats returning to their populist, working-class roots and Republicans becoming a socially moderate, technocratic party. A realignment similar to those of 1860, 1896, 1932, and 1980.

Why can't that happen if Trump loses in 2020? The Democrats aren't going to run a populist, working-class candidate?
eastowilko
United States

« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2018, 01:23:00 AM »

Yes because I'm worried our option will be bad again. I hope the DNC learned their lesson from 2016, but if they don't trump will probably win again.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2018, 02:21:41 AM »

Why can't that happen if Trump loses in 2020? The Democrats aren't going to run a populist, working-class candidate?

A Trump victory in 2020 would probably be to the benefit of the Democrats in the long term, because they could make more substantive gains in the 2022 midterms.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2018, 02:35:07 AM »

A Trump victory in 2020 would probably be to the benefit of the Democrats in the long term, because they could make more substantive gains in the 2022 midterms.

So, supposing they have a good midterm in 2018, and a hypothetically good cycle in 2020, why do they need yet another midterm? Two good cycles isn't good enough to get the seats you guys want?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2018, 02:40:16 AM »

So, supposing they have a good midterm in 2018, and a hypothetically good cycle in 2020, why do they need yet another midterm? Two good cycles isn't good enough to get the seats you guys want?

A lot of this hinges on whether or not we have a recession in the next few years, or some major economic crisis. That would have an impact upon things. And if Democrats have a good set of cycles in 2018 and 2020, it's possible that 2022 might constitute a setback.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies