Are you worried Trump will win in 2020?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 10:47:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Are you worried Trump will win in 2020?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Are you worried Trump will win in 2020?
Yes I am planning to move to Canada if he does.

Yes but if he wins I am not moving.

No I want him to win again.

I'm neutral.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 92

Author Topic: Are you worried Trump will win in 2020?  (Read 3810 times)
Use Your Illusion

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2018, 08:51:46 AM »

I am completely and utterly terrified. Students will continue to compound debt, the actual unemployed will probably stay in the 20's the housing bubble will grow and the best anyone is gonna be able to hope for is a glorified welfare state because depending on where you live and what the job is, its more likely that our own government will give us more money to live off of in handouts than our businesses will in paying wages.

We need a quick and decisive change in economic direction like now.
History505
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2018, 12:41:58 PM »

If he wins, I wouldn't be surprised.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2018, 12:55:03 PM »

An impeached, and acquittedd President Trump in office struggling to get to 2021. I think it leaves Dems relieved to get the election over with, and win, just get him out of office.

The public isn't buying corruption anymore, they couldn't stand Hillary's and now with Trump. And this is the same economy, that Trump criticized Obama for presiding over.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2018, 06:24:08 PM »

I am not worried about a Trump victory in 2020. While I do not like Trump, did not and will not vote for him, and would prefer that he loses, I also recognize that the 2022 midterms would serve as a check upon his Presidency, and that he won't do any more harm then he already has. If anything, a Trump victory in 2020 will, I believe, help pave the way for a realignment in our electorate that may benefit the Democrats in the long run.

The long run being the next 8 years, after which it switches back to the GOP for 8 years, and then so on and so on just like it's been going since 1992.

I was talking about a realignment that is akin to what was predicted by TheDoctor in his "Between the Majorities" timeline, one that sees the Democrats returning to their populist, working-class roots and Republicans becoming a socially moderate, technocratic party. A realignment similar to those of 1860, 1896, 1932, and 1980.

Why can't that happen if Trump loses in 2020? The Democrats aren't going to run a populist, working-class candidate?

A Trump victory in 2020 would probably be to the benefit of the Democrats in the long term, because they could make more substantive gains in the 2022 midterms.

So, supposing they have a good midterm in 2018, and a hypothetically good cycle in 2020, why do they need yet another midterm? Two good cycles isn't good enough to get the seats you guys want?

A lot of those seats that the Democrats may gain this year are not going to stay with them forever.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2018, 07:03:48 PM »

Yes. I'm worried that many Democrats are going to once again fall into the trap of thinking that it is inconceivable that he could win and take victory for granted. Not to mention that none of the likely candidates strike me as being that great at the end of the day.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2018, 12:10:19 AM »

I am not. I want him to win again.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2018, 07:04:26 AM »

Trump hasnt pass anything legislatively aside from tax reform. He has a record now, than before and promised Obamacare repeal, balanced budget and wall. That's why the right track v wrong track number barely moved since 2016, with Clinton ethics, goes with Trump ethics
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2018, 07:21:35 AM »

I am extremely worried. Beating an incumbent President is very difficult.

That said, I will not be leaving the country. Not worth giving up on.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2018, 01:15:41 PM »

I would be worried in the sense that he would try to make this country more autocratic/authoritarian.
Arkansas Yankee
United States
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2018, 05:04:40 PM »

Of course I am not worried as I would support him. But I really right now think his re-election is wishful thinking. 

So, why was there not an answer that you are not worried because he will not be re-elected? At least a few of you must believe that.

Or, have all of you been so traumatized by the 2016 election results that you are afraid to feel that way.

By the way I also think he could do some great things that could re-elect him.  I mean what other President has followed policies that have the currencies of Turkey, Iran, and Russia collapsing at the same time and all for good reasons.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2018, 05:14:53 PM »

Of course I am not worried as I would support him. But I really right now think his re-election is wishful thinking.

So, why was there not an answer that you are not worried because he will not be re-elected? At least a few of you must believe that.

Or, have all of you been so traumatized by the 2016 election results that you are afraid to feel that way.

By the way I also think he could do some great things that could re-elect him.  I mean what other President has followed policies that have the currencies of Turkey, Iran, and Russia collapsing at the same time and all for good reasons.

Me! I said almost exactly the same thing you did. See this thread's reply #15.
(Then see how I was characterized in reply #16.)
The difference between you and I is that I don't support Trump.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2018, 08:14:36 PM »

I am not worried about a Trump victory in 2020. While I do not like Trump, did not and will not vote for him, and would prefer that he loses, I also recognize that the 2022 midterms would serve as a check upon his Presidency, and that he won't do any more harm then he already has. If anything, a Trump victory in 2020 will, I believe, help pave the way for a realignment in our electorate that may benefit the Democrats in the long run.

The long run being the next 8 years, after which it switches back to the GOP for 8 years, and then so on and so on just like it's been going since 1992.

I was talking about a realignment that is akin to what was predicted by TheDoctor in his "Between the Majorities" timeline, one that sees the Democrats returning to their populist, working-class roots and Republicans becoming a socially moderate, technocratic party. A realignment similar to those of 1860, 1896, 1932, and 1980.

Why can't that happen if Trump loses in 2020? The Democrats aren't going to run a populist, working-class candidate?

A Trump victory in 2020 would probably be to the benefit of the Democrats in the long term, because they could make more substantive gains in the 2022 midterms.

So, supposing they have a good midterm in 2018, and a hypothetically good cycle in 2020, why do they need yet another midterm? Two good cycles isn't good enough to get the seats you guys want?
The Dems are going to gain a bunch of House, Senate, and Governor seats this year, which will bring lots of fresh faces and fresh perspectives to the party.  Six years will be enough job experience for them to run on in 2024. 
TarHeelDem
United States

« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2018, 01:11:05 AM »

Not really. I don't even think he'll be the nominee tbh.
Use Your Illusion

« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2018, 07:59:49 AM »

Thus far this is about the best chance I've got for Democrats winning the White House and even this is not guaranteed because if Trump won PA, MI and WI then it can happen again. Don't underestimate his voting bloc, man.

Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2018, 08:28:57 AM »

The Dems are going to gain a bunch of House, Senate, and Governor seats this year, which will bring lots of fresh faces and fresh perspectives to the party.  Six years will be enough job experience for them to run on in 2024. 

That has nothing to do with the thread.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2018, 08:31:28 AM »

Yes, it does.  It answers your question.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2018, 08:37:20 AM »

Yes, it does.  It answers your question.

About why they need a good cycle in 2022? I am confused.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2018, 11:06:33 AM »

Im not worried at all, because its highly unlikely to occur. Lighting doesnt strike twice, and an economy/ incumbency are not enough to win an election.

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2018, 08:20:27 PM »

To your credit, you might be the first Trump supporter I have seen on this forum that isn't downright cocky and arrogant about his re-election chances. Most other Trump supporters seem to think he has it in the bag.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2018, 10:00:02 PM »

To your credit, you might be the first Trump supporter I have seen on this forum that isn't downright cocky and arrogant about his re-election chances. Most other Trump supporters seem to think he has it in the bag.
And to your credit, Progressive Pessimist, you just praised a poster with a different viewpoint from yourself. I wish I saw more of that on Atlas.

As for me, I am worried that Trump will win, now that he has the advantage of incumbency (which I think counts for something, though I realize it is something of a cliche on this Forum). The minute I knew Trump had won in 2016, I felt uneasy, and didn't sleep the rest of the night. I fear the protests and civil unrest that followed Trump's 2016 victory would only become worse in 2020 (to say nothing of what the results might be for the country of a two-term Trump Presidency). I hope I'm wrong.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies