Topic Feedback Requested:
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:02:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Topic Feedback Requested:
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Topic Feedback Requested:  (Read 8932 times)
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 01, 2004, 08:40:02 PM »
« edited: May 05, 2004, 05:47:09 PM by The Vorlon »

Was this the type of thing you had in mind for topics???

Tried to get something that was "nobody's fault" and also didn't have a clear "party line" in response

Urgent Issue for the Government

"If we renounce the use of force, there can be no peaceful reunification with Taiwan - Xio Ping"[/color]

The Government of China today announced that in response to the increasingly nationalist tendencies of the "rogue province" of Taiwan, it is going to implement a more limited policy of economic co-operation with the United States in an effort to have the United States be more "helpful" with the re-unification, specifically requesting an end to US Military sales to Taiwan, and "active cooperation" with the reunification efforts.

China, by far the largest buyer of US Government treasuries in the world, (more than $200 billion annually) has announced the following "economic policy adjustments" to "encourage" these efforts:

1) The Central Bank of China will liquidate in an orderly way all US Government securities, and in the future all reserve holdings of the Central Bank of China will be either Euros or Yen

2) The expansion of major US Firms such as Intel, General Moters, Genral Electric and Boeing into China is "under review" till further notice.

The effects of this action on the US Economy are substantial:

1) The US Dollar has precipitiously fallen versus the Euro, Yen, and other currencies.

2) Bond Yields in US markets have skyrocketed - dramatically raising interest rates for both industry and consumers thus threatening the still fragile US economic recovery, while hurting government revenues making an already huge deficit even worse. The debt servicing costs on the $7 trillion national debt skyrocket.

3) Industries in the European Union, already dramatically less efficient than the US manufacturing sector, has been rocked further as the now dramatically cheaper US manufactured goods (due to drastically devalued dollar) have flooded their market while EU exports to the US have also plummeted.  The EU is treatening "protective tarrifs" unless the US props up the Dollar and restores economic order.

4) Japan, rocked for similar reasons as the EU, appears to be once again slipping into deep recession possibly dragging all the "asian tigers" down as well.

5) Taiwan, in response to a North Korean test of a nuclear capable "Kim il Jong Wacko II" ballistic missile  has demanded the US sell it anti-ballistic defence capable Aegis Missile Cruisers for it's Navy, and has said it will buy the rival Israeli "Arrow" Ballistic Missile Defense system if the Aegis cruisers are not forthcoming.

The ability of the US to respond to this action in an economic manner is highly limited.  

The China economy, already overheated, would not be hurt in any meaningful way by US economic sanctions, while any trade barriers erected by China in response could serously hurt the US Automotive, electronics, and industrial sectors.

Mr President, Members of the House, Members of the Senate, what shall we do?
[/color]
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2004, 08:42:43 PM »

That sounds great to me!
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2004, 08:55:05 PM »
« Edited: May 01, 2004, 09:00:32 PM by Nation »

Brilliant, Vorlon.

I think you'll be just fine for this position. Smiley

Also, for an event like this, you'd probably have to allow 2 weeks, and of course do some follow-up information on what happens (the next time you give a new scenario) based upon whatever the presidential administration does.
ShapeShifter

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2004, 08:58:47 PM »
« Edited: May 01, 2004, 09:01:37 PM by Senator ShapeShifter »

This is a very sticky situation.

Either we comply with China in the re-unification with Taiwan or use military force and go to war with them. I rather take the former because a war with China would probably end the world in itself.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2004, 08:59:27 PM »

No, there are other ways to deal with such a sistuation, especially since the US has more high cards than China does.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2004, 09:33:53 PM »

I'd like to urge my senator to do what he feels is right over what he feels hurts us more.  Succumbing to blackmail will open us up to more and more in a neverending cycle.

Find a way to turn the tables on the Chinese and cause their plan to backfire.
StevenNick
StevenNick99

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2004, 09:37:22 PM »

Give Japan nuclear weapons.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2004, 09:38:29 PM »

Very good scenario.  I cant wait to see the Senate start debating these things.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2004, 09:58:33 PM »

1 problem, Vorlon.

The game isn't us as the USA, it is us as a natyion that is sort of parallel. So facts and figures involvng the US aren't really authoritative, and current US positions don't really exist in tghe game.

But the amount of work you've put into it is fantastic Smiley

With a few minor tweaks, this would be a great scenario Smiley
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2004, 10:38:44 PM »

1 problem, Vorlon.

The game isn't us as the USA, it is us as a natyion that is sort of parallel. So facts and figures involvng the US aren't really authoritative, and current US positions don't really exist in tghe game.

Tweek away... Cheesy  Any suggestions / guidelines?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2004, 10:44:29 PM »

Very interesting. I agree with John Ford though, this would be a stupid move by the Chinese.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2004, 10:55:46 PM »

whilst we run paraalel to the US, pretend we are a completely different country, and no situation that exists in the US necessarily exists here.

ie, trade figures- make them a bit smaller, make our position less taiwan-orientated, etc.

"neutralise" us. Actually, a better word would be naturalise, make the scenarios for the world's most average country Smiley

Then let us shine and become the best Smiley

Do you have AIM, Vorlon? or messenger?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2004, 10:58:11 PM »

whilst we run paraalel to the US, pretend we are a completely different country, and no situation that exists in the US necessarily exists here.

ie, trade figures- make them a bit smaller, make our position less taiwan-orientated, etc.

"neutralise" us. Actually, a better word would be naturalise, make the scenarios for the world's most average country Smiley

Then let us shine and become the best Smiley

Do you have AIM, Vorlon? or messenger?

Vorlon could even create US events that we respond to. . .
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2004, 12:40:22 AM »

Senator Beet is quite astute.  First, China would face immediate trade sanctions by the US in retaliation (mostly as a coercive measure).  If China lost trade, their economy is finished.  Even if they back down at that point, many Americans would studiously avoid made in China products, leaving a lasting negative impact.

No matter what the US response, we would hardly suffer economically.  The IMF would buy up the excess US dollars while the currency market re-adjusted (one of the functions of the IMF is to stabilize currencies).  We'd survive after a short and minor blip.  China, however, would be smashed.

I like the scenario a lot, because it allows for a major victory if the administration in question knows its stuff and keeps their cool.  It also allows for a disasterous war if the lose their cool.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2004, 06:38:42 AM »

1 problem, Vorlon.

I think we should work like we are the US...that makes it a lot easier and we're so based on it already. But that's just my opnion.

Great work Vorlon! Smiley

As someone else stated, if you put this much work into it, it'd probably be better to have them with more time distance between them, both for you sake and for the sake of the cabinet etc.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2004, 05:40:37 PM »

1 problem, Vorlon.

I think we should work like we are the US...that makes it a lot easier and we're so based on it already. But that's just my opnion.

As someone else stated, if you put this much work into it, it'd probably be better to have them with more time distance between them, both for you sake and for the sake of the cabinet etc.

So what is next...?

I seek guidance as to what tweeks are required, etc...

Rules... etc...... Please....?
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2004, 05:43:38 PM »

Your topic was perfect.  I wouldn't change a thing.  Keep it up.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2004, 05:43:59 PM »

1 problem, Vorlon.

So what is next...?

I seek guidance as to what tweeks are required, etc...

Rules... etc...... Please....?

Nah, you don't need giúidance , lol. I think this one was great, and no one else seems to think otherwise.

Rules...you're the GM, you make the rules... Wink

Seriously, I guess that the most important thing is that there is a balance between the amount of time an issue is on the table and its gravity.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2004, 05:48:01 PM »

I think what happens next is (correct me if I'm wrong, anyone) the President needs to officially appoint you, and then you can get to work.

Nym???
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2004, 05:50:12 PM »

I think what happens next is (correct me if I'm wrong, anyone) the President needs to officially appoint you, and then you can get to work.

Nym???

Well...that too... Tongue Wink
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2004, 10:58:09 AM »

Is this topic officially "in play" then or still in the beta test stage? Wink